Thread: Recommendations for Bulk Good Quality Retro System 3rd Party AC Adapters?

Insert Coin (Level 0) fairyland's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Recommendations for Bulk Good Quality Retro System 3rd Party AC Adapters?

Sorry if this is in the wrong group or has been mentioned before. If you don't want to read the long story, basically I need good 3rd Party AC Adapters for my vintage systems. Around 5 of each type. Which ones should I be buying, which to avoid and where to get them at a fair price?

----

My long story is this. I'm a gamer and I do a lot of garage sales to suppliment my hobby. I end up buying just about any old system and games I find and I save them for the end of the garage sale year to flip on ebay. It's about now when I start selling off my extras. This year is odd as I got a lot of systems without any cords at all. Usually I can find enough random cords at other garage sales to match up, but not this year, so I had placed an order on ebay for them. I purchased a 12 pack of "Retro AC Universal AC Adapters." They are for the SNES/NES/Genesis 1 and I thought great, I could get at least 8 of the cords I need this way and have some for the future. Turns out that I was wrong.

It seemed like a pretty good deal, 12 for $40. I did check the sellers feedback and he had some bad feedbacks, but nothing in relation to these things. In fact he sold over 140 of them, so it seemed like it would be little risk to buy them. They arrived very quicky and all that, but they felt suspiciously light. As we all know, a normal SNES cord is pretty heavy. These feel empty. I tried them anyway on my four SNESs but I got scrolling fuzzy lines on my screen along with the game. Tried another and the same result. I knew then I was boned and none of them would work properly.

Today I done a quick peek on Amazon for this brand and it gives a 50/50 good to bad rate, as does just about every other SNES adapter on there. It seems there is no good choice to make for replacement cords. The bad comments are all about it not working with the SNES and something about it not giving out enough power for the system thus the lines. I've not tried them on my NESs or Geneses, but I'm assuming that's what people bought them for and those must have worked ok to get so many postive ratings. Who knows? I've not about to chance damaging my NESs or Geneses to find out.

Anyway, seems that there is a return policy on them which I'll be using, but I'm still in a predicament where I need cords badly. I should have around 5 adapters for each of the common older systems, some to use now and the rest to save for next year. Does anyone have recommendations for getting fair quality adapters at reasonable bulk prices? Or should I just give up and toss them all up in a lot as bulk systems without power cords? Thanks for reading and double thanks for your helpful replies.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Hmm, those power cords worked fine for me.

At first when I tried one in my Super Nintendo I thought I was getting fuzzy lines, but then I unplugged and plugged the RF switch cord back in and the lines were gone. It turned out my RF switch was having a weak connection due to not being inserted all the way, not the 3 in 1 AC Adapter.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Ive seen cases of those 3-in-1 ac adapters that have been non-functional. Send them back asap.

Insert Coin (Level 0) fairyland's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The comment about RF made me realize that I never actually tested the adapters with an RF cord. I always use AVs because they are so easy to plug in and out. So I tried out an old RF cord I have and guess what?! No lines! I know next to nothing about electronics, but I guess something in the RF box fixes the signal where the AV cord wouldn't. So it seems I only need to buy a group of old RF cords off ebay to flip my systems.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Who is it Hyperkin that sells AC Adapters that look like the original? I got one for an N64 and it worked by made a buzzing sound. I would just lay out the extra money and get an OEM adapter, for almost every major system they are easy to find.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by fairyland View Post
    The comment about RF made me realize that I never actually tested the adapters with an RF cord. I always use AVs because they are so easy to plug in and out. So I tried out an old RF cord I have and guess what?! No lines! I know next to nothing about electronics, but I guess something in the RF box fixes the signal where the AV cord wouldn't. So it seems I only need to buy a group of old RF cords off ebay to flip my systems.
    Oh cool. I'm glad my experiences helped with this one. I only have RF hooked up on my old tv because it's the only thing I had an extra of for my alternate form systems I bought at Goodwill. I use AV for the systems I play on at my boss's house because I have more time to play when I stay there. Plus that way I don't have to disconnect the DVD player my girlfriend likes to use from the RCA inputs at home.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fairyland View Post
    I'm still curious what caused that issue with the AV cables. Are those adapters still underpowered in some way? Do the AV cables work if you use an authentic adapter with those systems?