Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
That's the conspiracy theory there if you think Final Fight 2 was delayed to shovel out GUY as a rental title (or retail in Japan) as FF2 came out before FFG. FFG wasn't even intended for sale in the US, Capcom saw money only from Blockbuster buying rental copies off them so your argument really doesn't work. I get your idea coming off the art style of it all but unless you can get a Capcom rep or ex-rep who was on or knowing of the project I'm not buying into it.
From that standpoint yes but I'm only talking about the Japanese releases since the Super Famicom release of both FF2 and FFG were only a few months apart. Going by the in game story line of FF2 it heavily looks like Guy was going to be the central character until maybe Capcom decided to go in another direction like making another cheap and easy expansion like FFG. All I have is a conspiracy for now but I'm pretty sure Capcom higher ups would have tight lips on any employees that would dare speak out and they have been known to have rough relationships with designers before like Keiji Inafune.