Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tier lists for obscure or just plain bad fighting games?

Strawberry (Level 2) FrankSerpico's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Tier lists for obscure or just plain bad fighting games?

I came across a Shoryuken thread on this topic but no one had posted in it for like four years so I figured I'd try getting something similar going here. I'm sure many of those who post here, especially anyone who lived through the 16-bit and 32-but eras, have at least some experience with these types of games. I'm gonna bust out SF: The Movie and Ballz later today and try and decipher some semblance of tiers. Anyone else who's ridiculous enough to enjoy bad tournament fighters as much as I do should feel free to contribute their own tiers/ideas etc. to the the thread.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My favorite crappy fighter is Tongue of the Fatman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Mutant Fighters Death Blade (Brade) is an obscure game for the SFC.
    It's a bit clunky, but I'MAX always produces unique graphics and characters, so I enjoy playing it.

Just recently learned that it was first available on the Sharp 68000 computer, and it may have also been an arcade game.
    Last edited by Koa Zo; 09-26-2013 at 02:22 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^I'd never heard of that one but it looks fun in a ridiculous sort of way. Found this clip of the FM Towns port:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZgXPz9lhXQ

I tried to play Ballz long enough to develop some semblance of a tier list this afternoon, but it's just too crappy to get me to care. Kronk, the little caveman guy, seems to be fairly effective I guess

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Unpopular meets mediocre - what I have played recently:

Some people hate on Tuff E. Nuff (aka Dead Dance) for Super Nintendo, but I found it pretty enjoyable. I beat it with all 4 characters on all modes. It gets more fun and interesting if you use the unlock enemy characters code for VS CPU. That way you get more than just 4 characters to play as (which is possibly the reason it was disliked by some.) To beat it on all difficulties with the 4 main characters you basically only have to play through the game 12 times, and you get passwords any level you lose on.

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers for Sega Genesis is as basic as fighters come. When it comes to the characters they all have the same basic normal and strong attacks and don't look much different from each other except the color of their suits. The controller has 3 buttons but only 2 of them do anything, as if this game was designed for TurboGrafx-16, Game Gear, Game Boy, Sega Master System or NES. If you are not playing this as a fan of the TV show and don't know anything about who is who, the only thing that separates them from each other is their special move which depending on the character can be tricky to pull off. For a fighting game it is also very short. You basically only fight 6 boss characters, 2 rounds each (and technically the 6th boss is just the 5th boss piloting a Zord of his own). Even Tuff E. Nuff is longer than this game. The saving factor here is that there are 8 difficulty modes. If you tried to play the game on all modes with all 6 characters, you would have to play the game 48 times.

In both of these games, I find that sometimes on the hardest modes your best strategy can be to get in close and jab multiple times with the weaker attacks. As the CPU level goes up you have less chances of swinging the hard attacks fast enough for them to not hit you first or block it.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cherry (Level 1) 8-Bit Archeology's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Steampunk360

Ballz for the 3DO was the best port for that game yet still is a bit pooey.
    Also I just couldnt get into Cosmic Carnage for the 32X. I felt as if I was playing a game in slow motion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Clay Fighter for any system is up towards the top of this list. They forgot to put a fighting game in with the eye candy. Some people like it but I have no idea why.
    Last edited by Clownzilla; 09-26-2013 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Typo
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I hate to be that guy, but how about Street Fighter 1 or it's PC Engine CD release, Fighting Street?
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How about a tier list for the horrible super ultimate Street Fighter 4 or what ever it's called now? I really hate that game :banghead:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    I hate to be that guy, but how about Street Fighter 1 or it's PC Engine CD release, Fighting Street?
    Feel no shame. The original Street Fighter's game play was abysmal. The idea, however...

Quote Originally Posted by blue lander View Post
    My favorite crappy fighter is Tongue of the Fatman.
    Yeah. I wanted to like this game because it looked so damn cool to my young eyes, but, like, Street Fighter, the playcontrol was just not there.

Quote Originally Posted by BricatSegaFan View Post
    How about a tier list for the horrible super ultimate Street Fighter 4 or what ever it's called now? I really hate that game :banghead:
    This (not counting the movie game and the EX series) is the worst Street Fighter since the original. I could only play it for just a little bit before I put down the controller and walked away. Though I didn't play enough to give an honest assessment, I strongly recall feeling that jump mechanics were broken, hamstringing the game.
    Last edited by treismac; 09-27-2013 at 01:24 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only iteration of SF4 I played was the original, which I admittedly love. However I sold it along with my 360 so I don't have access to any of the updates atm. Think I'll try to get around to SF:The Movie on my Saturn today I remember Sawada and 'Gief being fairly beastly in that one...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For me there was Street Combat. It was a boring game that was an Americanized port of a Ranma 1/2 game. Mind you the original Ranma 1/2 game wasn't that good but at least it had some cool stuff like the music which got the axe for Street Combat.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think I actually have Death Brade for the x68000. I don't think I ever played it because my X68000 didn't have enough RAM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember considering doing a tier list for Battle Heat for the PC-FX, but in order for me to properly test that, I need a multiplayer opponent who is skilled enough for me to check if there's any way to either avoid or counter a jump-kick command. (That one move is basically easy street to beating AI opponents. If it's similar in competitive multiplayer then the tiers would basically be reduced to who can dish out the most damage or survive the most hits from that move.)

Anyway, I suppose the reason there aren't a lot of tier lists for older fighting games in general is because it's mostly the likes of Super Street Fighter II which introduced the idea of making a fighting game balanced enough for the sort of competitive sport it's become. I've always wanted to see if there was a retro title that could rival it's mix of balance and depth, but unfortunatley it seems fighting game communities tend to have a very "culture of the new" mentality.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Great idea for a thread. I wish I could contribute, but only very seldom do I get the chance to play fighting games in 2P mode, since my fiancée dislikes them and I only see my brother (who does like them) a couple times a year.

In 1P mode, the infamously horrible Shadow: War of Succession (3DO) has a very simple character selection equation: anything with fireballs or other projectiles >>>> anything without. Playing Riggs, I spammed my way to victory on Hard mode within 90 minutes of starting up the game for the first time. How that would play out in 2P mode I'm not sure. Fist of the North Star for Game Boy has a similar thing going on.

Eye of Typhoon on 3DO would be an interesting one to check out; so would the different ports of Art of Fighting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My mistake, I read the first post wrong.
    Last edited by pseudonym; 09-29-2013 at 05:05 PM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

The thread topic makes no sense. Tier lists for obscure or bad fighting games, then you list bad fighting games and no tier lists.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I don't think the OP myself, and others even know what a tier list is supposed to be.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Press Select to Start Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, not sure what "tier list" means other than a ranked list of something, in this case terrible fighting games (?), but going off that inference;

Justice League Task Force for SNES - yikes this game is brutally redundant and boring. You'd think with a fairly good list of licensed super heroes (Batman , The Flash, and yes, Aquaman) you'd get a game experience that wasn't worse than watching early 90s nose-hair removal infomercials.