Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Consoles: 25 Game Strong

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Consoles: 25 Game Strong

I have a rule, that any console or handheld or gaming computer I buy must have at least 25 games worth playing, with add-ons needing less. I define that as the best versions (or unique enough versions to warrant multiple copies) of games I would want to play. Up to recently, it has been super easy to find 25 games I would want to play, and all of these are included:

Atari 7800 (plays 2600 games), C64, NES, SMS, Genesis + CD/32X, PCE Duo, SNES, Saturn, PS, N64, DC, PS2, Xbox, GCN, Wii and handhelds GBA (also including GB/GBC games), DS, and PSP.

I excluded Neo Geo on account of price, but figured the NGCD would be a nice substitute. However, I found exactly only 25 games I would want to play (others may push it up to 30 or down to 20), so it barely makes it. After this, I'm stumped on the rest. What consoles am I missing (except for modern ones, which I'm still researching)? I'm just now looking into the Amiga32, are there 25 games worth playing on it? What about any others? In other words, what consoles not listed here have 25 games worth playing?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd include Intellivision and MSX. And there are way more good games for the Amiga than, say, the PSP or SMS as long as you like European/American style computer games.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

The Colecovision and Intellivision seem to be the two most obvious omissions. Maybe you've ruled them out because of overlap with the 2600, though.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    The Colecovision and Intellivision seem to be the two most obvious omissions. Maybe you've ruled them out because of overlap with the 2600, though.
    Yeah, it's the overlap with the 2600, 7800, but especially the NES and C64. I'm more than willing to be persuaded of their value, though!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    I have a rule, that any console or handheld or gaming computer I buy must have at least 25 games worth playing, with add-ons needing less. I define that as the best versions (or unique enough versions to warrant multiple copies) of games I would want to play. Up to recently, it has been super easy to find 25 games I would want to play, and all of these are included:

Atari 7800 (plays 2600 games), C64, NES, SMS, Genesis + CD/32X, PCE Duo, SNES, Saturn, PS, N64, DC, PS2, Xbox, GCN, Wii and handhelds GBA (also including GB/GBC games), DS, and PSP.

I excluded Neo Geo on account of price, but figured the NGCD would be a nice substitute. However, I found exactly only 25 games I would want to play (others may push it up to 30 or down to 20), so it barely makes it. After this, I'm stumped on the rest. What consoles am I missing (except for modern ones, which I'm still researching)? I'm just now looking into the Amiga32, are there 25 games worth playing on it? What about any others? In other words, what consoles not listed here have 25 games worth playing?
    What if the console doesn't even have 25 games? I'm thinking of the N64DD. There's really only ONE real reason to own it, but it's worth the price of admission alone, and that is the F-Zero track editor.

To answer your Q about the A32, no, there are absolutely not 25 games worth owning.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Yeah, it's the overlap with the 2600, 7800, but especially the NES and C64. I'm more than willing to be persuaded of their value, though!
    There are definitely 25 worthwhile titles on the Intellivision, especially if you count homebrews (*) and repro releases of newly-completed prototypes (**). Heck, you can easily reach 25 using only console exclusives and omitting sports games:

AD&D: Cloudy Mountain
    Tower of Doom
    Thin Ice
    Thunder Castle
    Swords & Serpents
    Utopia
    Snafu
    Beauty and the Beast
    B-17 Bomber
    Bomb Squad
    Space Spartans
    Diner
    Dracula
    Safecracker
    White Water
    Night Stalker (ported to the VCS, but it's fairly different on that system)
    Triple Action
    Mind Strike (requires the ECS expansion)
    Shark! Shark!
    Truckin'
    D2K Arcade*
    Stonix*
    Space Patrol*
    Christmas Carol*
    King of the Mountain**

If you don't want to count the three homebrews based on arcade games -- though with a lot of extra content in all three cases -- then just swap in Microsurgeon, AD&D: Treasure of Tarmin, and Sea Battle. (Technically Microsurgeon was also released on the TI-99/4A, and there's a Sea Battle prototype for the Atari 2600, but...)
    Last edited by goldenband; 09-27-2013 at 02:23 PM.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    What if the console doesn't even have 25 games? I'm thinking of the N64DD. There's really only ONE real reason to own it, but it's worth the price of admission alone, and that is the F-Zero track editor.
    Attachments have a lower threshold, I should think. It's not a new console in and of itself. Otherwise I would never have gotten to play Kolibri on the 32X!

And is the F-Zero track editor that good? I've been writing off the DD for years now because I didn't think that the two good games for it (F-Zero and Sim City 64) were worth the steep price.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    There are definitely 25 worthwhile titles on the Intellivision, especially if you count homebrews (*) and repro releases of newly-completed prototypes (**). Heck, you can easily reach 25 using only console exclusives and omitting sports games:
    Homebrews and newly-completed prototypes definitely welcome! Thanks for the short list. Time to dive in and see what I've been missing!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Have you tried checking out the libraries of Game Gear exclusives/alternate versions of games than SMS and Neo Geo Pocket? Neo Geo Pocket Color's library is almost all good even though it's small and if you already like the Master System, Game Gear is already your cup of tea. A screen upgrade mod can fix all the issues it has. I know you're still researching but I can guarantee that both the 360 and PS3 will have at least 25 different games your style. They both have a ton of games now.

I also agree that you won't make a mistake with Neo Geo CD. You should buy the 20-30 games you know you like then "sample" many others with burned discs. I bet you'll find you enjoy stuff you never thought you would after giving them a try.

Whoever said Nintendo 64DD didn't read the part about add-ons not being required to have as many. That system is an add-on.

The 3DO is one that I never got to explore enough to say I'd like at least 25 games on it. My favorite styles for consoles that old are RPGs and 2D games. So Gex, Bust-a-Move, Super Street Fighter II Turbo, that Japanese Sailor Moon game and the 5 RPGs are in but that only brings me to a total of 9 games I know I would like. There are 6 other fighting games but some are multiplatform and not that good for any system so pushing it that's only 15 games. Still I'll probably want to make sure I get one again because of the fact I can burn the games and try out all the random stuff with the hopes I actually run into a surprise I like. I don't see any vertical or side scrolling space shooters. Almost all the shooters on 3DO are first person perspective. The only side scrolling platformer I see on it besides Gex is Soccer Kid which I've never heard of. Maybe some of those action puzzles and adventure puzzles will help bring me to your 25 game quota.

The CD-I definitely only has 2 games I've tried that I actually really liked. Both are 2D and not related to Nintendo characters. I'd pass on that one going by your quota.

Oh yeah, and the Virtual Boy games that are good (i.e. Wario Land) can just be emulated well on the Wii so I wouldn't bother getting one just for that based on your preferences. But definitely mod your Wii, get Wiirtual Boy and give that unique Wario game a playthrough.
    Last edited by Rickstilwell1; 09-27-2013 at 03:11 PM.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Have you tried checking out the libraries of Game Gear exclusives/alternate versions of games than SMS and Neo Geo Pocket? Neo Geo Pocket Color's library is almost all good even though it's small and if you already like the Master System, Game Gear is already your cup of tea. A screen upgrade mod can fix all the issues it has.
    Yeah, I have a Game Gear and am exploring it's library. I'm up to about 14, but I'm going to downsize soon, as many of these I've found are just stripped down versions of the Genesis game or I'd rather play it on the Master System (console's controllers > handheld with tiny screen, imo). I'm ready to be wrong, though, because I have fond, nostalgic memories for that battery beast.

I know you're still researching but I can guarantee that both the 360 and PS3 will have at least 25 different games your style. They both have a ton of games now.
    I'm sure I will. Thing is, I'm finding quite many that I thought I would like that I actually do not. Tomb Raider is the most recent. I don't want to play a series of quick time events, and I fear that that's what modern gaming has become. Also, the libraries of the two look so similar, I may not find enough games to buy *both*.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I have a Game Gear and am exploring it's library. I'm up to about 14, but I'm going to downsize soon, as many of these I've found are just stripped down versions of the Genesis game or I'd rather play it on the Master System (console's controllers > handheld with tiny screen, imo). I'm ready to be wrong, though, because I have fond, nostalgic memories for that battery beast.

I'm sure I will. Thing is, I'm finding quite many that I thought I would like that I actually do not. Tomb Raider is the most recent. I don't want to play a series of quick time events, and I fear that that's what modern gaming has become. Also, the libraries of the two look so similar, I may not find enough games to buy *both*.
    OR just get the SMS adapter for the GG and you'll have SMS on the go.
    COMPLETED MY USA SMS SET!!!!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Yeah one thing you have to do with those systems is really explore. Since there are no emulators you can't as easily try everything for yourself. PS3 got my niche by having tons of RPG exclusives (Atlus really helped with that one). I don't know if you like that genre or not.

The best games on there might not be the popular ones.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Yeah one thing you have to do with those systems is really explore. Since there are no emulators you can't as easily try everything for yourself. PS3 got my niche by having tons of RPG exclusives (Atlus really helped with that one). I don't know if you like that genre or not.

The best games on there might not be the popular ones.
    "I don't know if you like that genre or not."

You must not recognize my avatar!

In fact, the most popular ones I probably wouldn't like. I'm very particular about my FPS's, and the God of War-like games are becoming fast stale to me. Last gen RPGs were hit or miss. Dragon Quest IX was OK, but I didn't care for Persona or Shadow Hearts. I did enjoy Dark Alliance, though, reminded me more of Diablo II than a proper RPG. Xenoblade is overrated, and I haven't yet got to Last Story or Pandora's Tower. I would probably buy a PS3 if Last Guardian was released for it, but I have such a huge backlog of PS2 and even GameCube RPGs that I don't know when I would get to them.

I think the last turn-based RPG to blow me away was Final Fantasy IX.

But that's really getting off-topic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some I don't see that exude quality titles:

Dreamcast
    3DO

So much gaming goodness on those consoles it is criminal to exclude them from your collection.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sloan View Post
    Some I don't see that exude quality titles:

Dreamcast
    3DO

So much gaming goodness on those consoles it is criminal to exclude them from your collection.
    DC = Dreamcast, so yeah, definitely have that. 5200 I'm still up in the air on. We talked about this before, didn't we? I started on it, but generally couldn't pass the 25 title threshold on it. I definitely wanted to like it, but I think it's beat by its successors, CV, C64, NES, and 7800. And passing up on the 3DO is criminal? I'm definitely willing to be persuaded that I'm missing out on retro goodness. I'm all ears.
    Last edited by o.pwuaioc; 09-27-2013 at 05:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Skip the 5200 and get an 800 computer, you can get most of the 5200 games on it.

Also, don't forget the Jaguar! Aliens vs. Predator and Tempest, just play Tempest 24 times.
    "Where my finger goes is none of your goddamn business." -Metropolisforever

"my house is burning down as I type this because of a Sega AC adapter" -Oobgarm

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

If you don't mind replacing a stand or two, depending on the condition you get it in, the Virtual Boy has about a 26 game library if memory serves and I'm of the opinion that every one of them is worth owning. Hell, VB Wario Land is worth the price by itself.

Press Select to Start Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wish i could "walk the Virtual Boy plank", but Wario Land 2, 3 and 4 are amazing and, for me personally, need no delving into VB territory for me to experience WL goodness. i get that that's one of the only games VB enthusiasts are super hyped for, but playing a "handheld" (or whatever VB is classified as) for an extended period of time is BRUTAL. The other WL titles are able to be played on an actual TV with various methods and without horrific mod situations to achieve (i think Street Fighter 2 was ported to VB, yikes!!!!) so consider sticking to considering 3DO!!!! (Twinkle Knights, risque and fairly terrible JPN exclusive 3DO game)
    Last edited by wayultratech; 09-27-2013 at 07:12 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Oh, I agree. My comparison, VB Wario Land is basically a prototype for Wario Land 1.
    But it's hardly the only game VB enthusiasts get hyped about. Galactic Pinball and Jack Bros. are both amazing games and well worth your time, if you've got a VB.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    If you don't mind replacing a stand or two, depending on the condition you get it in, the Virtual Boy has about a 26 game library if memory serves and I'm of the opinion that every one of them is worth owning. Hell, VB Wario Land is worth the price by itself.
    The North American VB has less than 20 titles. I have just about every title for the North American VB, but had sold Water World because of how poor of a game it was.

Edit*

The VB only has 22 titles world-wide, 14 of those were released in North America. The only North American titles I don't have are the baseball game and the Water World game I'd sold.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Boy_games
    Last edited by Gamevet; 09-27-2013 at 11:05 PM.

Press Select to Start Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's for sure a handful of Virtual Boy titles worth checking out, Jack Bros in particular looks awesome!!

The Atari Lynx library might be something to dig into. I am pretty new to the Lynx library, but found this list-o-25-titles thread on Atari Age:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/107...s-of-all-time/

If that software library isn't jumping out at you, there's always the massive 10 or so Casio Loopy titles (implicit sarcasm). Man i had to mention the Loopy in a post eventually, but seriously the Lynx library might yield some fun games if you invest the time to sample 'em.