Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vvgoob47vV
    Steam
    goob47

Default I Think He Just Defiled My Super Nintendo... ;~;

So yeah, just found this... Uhm, does anyone else think this is pretty much the biggest insult to the Super Nintendo since the Retron?

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Super...lution/9016695

BTW Don't mean to offend anyone who doesn't wanna get an original SNES (for whatever strange reason)...

Cherry (Level 1) 8-Bit Archeology's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Steampunk360

Take that cheaty little thumb drive out of the equasion. Make it play real carts. I like the controllers and even the color scheme. But did you have to go all cheaty with it? For why?!?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's nothing more than a fake.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

The flash drive sticking out the middle makes it looks like the system is flipping you off.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why? It's so big for absolutely no reason other than to ape the original quite exactly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Looks interesting but is it real? Retron5 has it covered though using real games, not warez in a USB stick.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, if that's real, it's basically an SNES emulation machine?

If you're going to go that route, it'd be easier to find a good gamepad for something that does everything you'd want to emulate already, like a PC, or if anyone got an Ouya.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightRider View Post
    So, if that's real, it's basically an SNES emulation machine?

If you're going to go that route, it'd be easier to find a good gamepad for something that does everything you'd want to emulate already, like a PC, or if anyone got an Ouya.
    Even a Wii can emulate the SNES fairly easily and seems more genuine since your playing on an actual Nintendo machine at least

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by goob47 View Post
    So yeah, just found this... Uhm, does anyone else think this is pretty much the biggest insult to the Super Nintendo since the Retron?

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Super...lution/9016695

BTW Don't mean to offend anyone who doesn't wanna get an original SNES (for whatever strange reason)...
    First off, those images are nothing more than 3D mock-ups of a concept of a device, not something that does or would or could actually exist. Nintendo still owns the design patients of the SNES and to copy them so exactly save for the shade of color is just asking for a legal battle.

Secondly, what the HELL is your problem? "biggest insult to the Super Nintendo since the Retron"? What is THAT suppose to mean? Are you talking about the Hyperkin RetroN3? If so, then....what the hell are you talking about. Are you talking about the RetorN5? If so, again...what the hell are you talking about? Or are you just saying you don't like clone hardware and regardless of what anyone does it won't matter to you because your bitter? If so, yay for you. Nobody cares.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, I just want to know what you even mean.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    First off, those images are nothing more than 3D mock-ups of a concept of a device, not something that does or would or could actually exist. Nintendo still owns the design patients of the SNES and to copy them so exactly save for the shade of color is just asking for a legal battle.

Secondly, what the HELL is your problem? "biggest insult to the Super Nintendo since the Retron"? What is THAT suppose to mean? Are you talking about the Hyperkin RetroN3? If so, then....what the hell are you talking about. Are you talking about the RetorN5? If so, again...what the hell are you talking about? Or are you just saying you don't like clone hardware and regardless of what anyone does it won't matter to you because your bitter? If so, yay for you. Nobody cares.

the guy said on another thread that he is 15 so he is still learning the ways of the force so to speak lol

Personally I always thought the SNES was a bland looking system and I thought the Super Famicom looked a lot better IMHO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vvgoob47vV
    Steam
    goob47

Yeah... I realize it's a 3D mockup, but they're trying to "modernize the SNES". The Retron comment was cold, I'm sorry. I just think that it's cheap for a company to steal the exact EVERYTHING of a companies work and make money off of it. I realize "oh, they have NES support" or "oh, it looks cooler" or "oh, it's cheaper" (probably not true). Like I said, I didn't want to offend anyone, but I was just portraying my personal opinion... Pardon me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vvgoob47vV
    Steam
    goob47

Quote Originally Posted by ReaXan View Post
    the guy said on another thread that he is 15 so he is still learning the ways of the force so to speak lol

Personally I always thought the SNES was a bland looking system and I thought the Super Famicom looked a lot better IMHO.
    True, I am 15. The ways of the force are difficult to master when fellow Jedi can't accept the beliefs of others.

And yes, the Super Famicom does look much better. Especially the controller, no bland buttons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I just think that it's cheap for a company to steal the exact EVERYTHING of a companies work and make money off of it.
    But that's my point though - modern retro product makers can't copy EVERYTHING. The industrial design of the SNES and Super Famicom was patented to Nintendo who still retain the rights to the physical design even after the hardware patients themselves expire allowing others to essentially make copies.

I realize "oh, they have NES support" or "oh, it looks cooler" or "oh, it's cheaper" (probably not true). Like I said, I didn't want to offend anyone, but I was just portraying my personal opinion...
    Which is what, exactly? I don't understand what you're even trying to say. Are you saying that modern day third party companies should not make clones on an artistic basis? Multiple systems should not be combined? Are you suggesting that no technology created over the past twenty years can be added to make the experience better than it originally was? Do you simply have a fundamental hatred of clones and emulation based on an irrational notion that the best way to experience a product is the original hardware, flaws and all?

The fact is that everything has its strengths and weaknesses, and it's completely unfair to lump all of...anything together without an open viewpoint willing to look at things objectively without prejudgement. That's what breeds prejudice, even if it's something as harmless as talking about clone hardware and emulation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vvgoob47vV
    Steam
    goob47

But that's my point though - modern retro product makers can't copy EVERYTHING. The industrial design of the SNES and Super Famicom was patented to Nintendo who still retain the rights to the physical design even after the hardware patients themselves expire allowing others to essentially make copies.

Which is what, exactly? I don't understand what you're even trying to say. Are you saying that modern day third party companies should not make clones on an artistic basis? Multiple systems should not be combined? Are you suggesting that no technology created over the past twenty years can be added to make the experience better than it originally was? Do you simply have a fundamental hatred of clones and emulation based on an irrational notion that the best way to experience a product is the original hardware, flaws and all?

The fact is that everything has its strengths and weaknesses, and it's completely unfair to lump all of...anything together without an open viewpoint willing to look at things objectively without prejudgement. That's what breeds prejudice, even if it's something as harmless as talking about clone hardware and emulation.
    Okay, okay, okay, calm down, buddy. We're all retro gamers here, there's no need to argue like this. All I'm saying is that when companies piggyback off the innovations of the past to make money for themselves by saturating the market with these cheap clones (and yes, I'm talking to you, Yobo...), things start to get out of hand. I realize that Super Nintendos are starting to get a little pricey these days, but if you really enjoy vintage/retro gaming, it's not the price that matters, but the fun you get out of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Okay, okay, okay, calm down, buddy. We're all retro gamers here, there's no need to argue like this. All I'm saying is that when companies piggyback off the innovations of the past to make money for themselves by saturating the market with these cheap clones (and yes, I'm talking to you, Yobo...), things start to get out of hand. I realize that Super Nintendos are starting to get a little pricey these days, but if you really enjoy vintage/retro gaming, it's not the price that matters, but the fun you get out of it.
    Clone hardware is produced to fill demand for a market. Parents expire, new companies swoop in copying and in some cases improving on the original design and capitalizing on nostalgia while offering new, more reliable hardware that offers space saving features like the ability to run multiple original consoles in a single unit or a controller that universally works with everything. With the exception of Hyperkin, clone makers generally come from China where there is a booming demand for low cost gaming devices.

Even so, the market is niche and in no way could be considered "over saturated", especially as new clones come and replace older ones instead of being marketed alongside newer products. There's a reason Yobo for example doesn't still market the NeoFami.

There are of course, plenty of low quality clones stemming from the fact that QA has historically been low on the list of priorities of low-end consumer electronic companies from China. But things have begun to change as Chinese markets have expanded globally and demand for quality has increased. Yobo Gameware isn't the same company it was in 2005, and competition from RetroBit has caused Hyperkin to step up their game too.

This winter's next batch of clones promise to be better than any that have come before it, and will offer benefits you simply can't get from the original hardware. It remains to be seen just how the strengths and weaknesses will play out, but I'm optimistic about the future of clones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vvgoob47vV
    Steam
    goob47

Clone hardware is produced to fill demand for a market. Parents expire, new companies swoop in copying and in some cases improving on the original design and capitalizing on nostalgia while offering new, more reliable hardware that offers space saving features like the ability to run multiple original consoles in a single unit or a controller that universally works with everything. With the exception of Hyperkin, clone makers generally come from China where there is a booming demand for low cost gaming devices.

Even so, the market is niche and in no way could be considered "over saturated", especially as new clones come and replace older ones instead of being marketed alongside newer products. There's a reason Yobo for example doesn't still market the NeoFami.

There are of course, plenty of low quality clones stemming from the fact that QA has historically been low on the list of priorities of low-end consumer electronic companies from China. But things have begun to change as Chinese markets have expanded globally and demand for quality has increased. Yobo Gameware isn't the same company it was in 2005, and competition from RetroBit has caused Hyperkin to step up their game too.

This winter's next batch of clones promise to be better than any that have come before it, and will offer benefits you simply can't get from the original hardware. It remains to be seen just how the strengths and weaknesses will play out, but I'm optimistic about the future of clones.
    C'mon, man. There are a LOT of things I'm going to call you out on, only because I very much disagree with everything you've just stated. By "saturation of clones", I mean this: How come when I walk into my local RETRO gaming store, the first thing I see are those crappy third-party NES controllers, crappy power bricks, and unreliable EVERYTHING. The phrase "if it aint broke, don't fix it" applies in every way in this situation. The Chinese demand is perfectly reasonable, but is in no way a "niche market". I seriously wouldn't be surprised if the local Target or Walmart started selling those shitty USB controllers for emulation. Don't even get me started on that. I mean, I know some people can't afford titles like Earthbound, Terranigma, or Chrono Trigger, but there's no reason you should steal the game illegally. (Please don't drop the "prick" line on me, 'cause it's not true.)

I can't believe people look forward to things like "this winter's new batch of clones". Seriously?! Nintendo and Sega should have the right to reproduce their old consoles (OH YEAH, VIRTUAL CONSOLE.), and if they don't want to, they should be getting a LARGE percentage of these plagiarist companies revenue. Yeah, so that's my opinion. I'm not saying it's bad, but it's just different from mine, and truthfully I respect that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

C'mon, man. There are a LOT of things I'm going to call you out on, only because I very much disagree with everything you've just stated. By "saturation of clones", I mean this: How come when I walk into my local RETRO gaming store, the first thing I see are those crappy third-party NES controllers, crappy power bricks, and unreliable EVERYTHING. The phrase "if it aint broke, don't fix it" applies in every way in this situation. The Chinese demand is perfectly reasonable, but is in no way a "niche market". I seriously wouldn't be surprised if the local Target or Walmart started selling those shitty USB controllers for emulation. Don't even get me started on that. I mean, I know some people can't afford titles like Earthbound, Terranigma, or Chrono Trigger, but there's no reason you should steal the game illegally. (Please don't drop the "prick" line on me, 'cause it's not true.)
    Good enough reason for me.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

...but there's no reason you should steal the game illegally.

Quote Originally Posted by Zthun View Post
    Good enough reason for me.

Shame on you! You should steal the game legally.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Vvgoob47vV
    Steam
    goob47

Quote Originally Posted by RP2A03 View Post
    Shame on you! You should steal the game legally.
    Look, I know copyright laws aren't enforced like that, but don't you feel even a little guilty?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That was the sexiest looking console...until I saw that USB stick in the middle. On the issue of clone consoles I'm looking forward to the Retron 5 due to the convenience factor, I got them all but its just convenient to have an all in one system for people who don't or can't afford the originals. Hopefully the reviews are good.