Thread: Best choice of gaming cables

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Best choice of gaming cables

Of course, I mean custom cables for systems. A console that uses standard A/V cables wouldn't count here, as I could very well buy some $$ Bettercables or something. I generally always go with OEM stuff, but I'm really wondering about some of the off-brands, like Interact. I wouldn't touch a MonsterCable product with a ten foot pole, as from experience those are overpriced pieces of crap that are no better than chickenwire cable for $3 at Wal-Mart. I have been very impressed with Recoton's Acoustic Research line (great value for the price, though obviously not going to compare to $30/ft cables), plus they make VEEEEERY nice high-end speakers (diamond tweeters sound fantastic). I have seen Interact video game cables in stores, and SOME OF THEM they are actually AR Pro Series. Should I go for these AR made ones instead of the OEM stuff? Very tempting, since AR products are the cables I use in my home theater and also my speakers.

I might want to buy these for all my systems (that take them, of course).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Well, I don't know if it's just me, but the only pair of cables I've had go bad on me are Interact cables. For reference they were the ps2 S-Video cables and the little black rectangle at the bottom of the S-video input broke off, thus making the cables display only black and white (unless, by some stroke of luck, you wiggled it into the right position to get an off-color display). I was going to recommend Monster based on what I've heard others say about them, but if you've decided they're not for you then don't go for it (It's a sin to pay a new game amount of money for cables in my book, but my book's not a best-seller ). For my Gamecube, I opted for a $7 set of S-Video cables made by a company called Hip Gear (mostly sold at CompUSA and Toys R Us) and they work wonderfully providing a wonderful picture for the price. Hope that helps in some way.

Pac-Man (Level 10) atomicthumbs's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have my Xbox connected to the set with two styrofoam cups and three feet of yarn. Works like a dream too! Ba-Doom-Dum.

"Gamera is really neat --- He is filled with turtle meat --- We all love you Ga-me-ra!"
    - MST3K

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, I use a monster s-video cable for my PS2, and it works like a dream. I get absolutely fabulous video quality, and the connector for it is much tighter (unlike my old one which kept falling out of the back of the system). If you're interested in one, you might be able to do what I did. I found it in a funcoland, used, for $5.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Monster Cable for me too. I've used the Component cables for my PS2 ever since I got my new TV, which has been about 2 years now. I'm also running Monster S-Video on my Xbox, Cube/N64/SNES, and my PSX. Never had a problem with either, and they all look fantastic.

I would recommend staying as far away from Interact as possible. As a Funco/GS employee, I can vouch that the return rate for their products is overwhelming. They rarely perform as well as the packaging claims, and I believe that they're out of business now, as I can no longer find any info on them on the web. Mad Catz products may be worth looking into, as they seem to have a better track record.

Recoton is a large company that emcompasses lines like AR, Jensen, and Interact. I've never known them to be more than a bargain/junk company, as I always see a ton of their cheap accessories at K-Mart, Meijer, etc. Personally, I'd be a bit wary of them, but if you've had success with them in the past, go for it.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Recoton buys out all these companies, and well, from last I remembered, they bought out a REALLY good company whose name escapes me, shortly before they went bankrupt. It may have been It really sucks since I have a half-finished speaker set.

Were there problems with all the Interact cables?

I don't want these:

I want the ones that look like these (even though I couldn't find a pic online):

Standard Recoton stuff is garbage, amen to that. It's like those K-Mart Magnavox or RCA brand stuff.

[/img]