Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boogerman 20th anniversary : The game! By the original guys who made it! Kickstarter!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Boogerman 20th anniversary : The game! By the original guys who made it! Kickstarter!!!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...the-video-game

Watch the video!!! https://d2pq0u4uni88oo.cloudfront.ne...-h264_high.mp4

This HAS to happen!

Why they used the PC sfx I have no idea. SNES was king for Boogerman

Last edited by aaron7; 10-24-2013 at 09:50 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Ugh, the early 90's "gross-out" style of crude juvenile humor in American cartoons and games is probably the most obnoxious aspect of that decade.

Some 90's games should stay in the 90's. I don't often wish it, but I hope this kickstarter fails. This game wasn't good back then, and it doesn't deserve a reboot anymore than say Ren and Stimpy do.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    Ugh, the early 90's "gross-out" style of crude juvenile humor in American cartoons and games is probably the most obnoxious aspect of that decade.

Some 90's games should stay in the 90's. I don't often wish it, but I hope this kickstarter fails. This game wasn't good back then, and it doesn't deserve a reboot anymore than say Ren and Stimpy do.
    I have to agree with this. I remember really not liking the game when I was a teenager as I thought it was just a cheap attempt to latch on to the gross out humor fad. The addition of the Earthworm Jim cross-over to this Kickstarter just smacks of desperation. It also seems puzzling that according to the developers in the comments section, they haven't even really secured the rights. Also not sure in a practical sense how this will even work given the very different abilities of the two characters in their respective games. I know a lot of the early backers are upset about the fact that it's mandatory to up your pledge to $40 if you want access to the cross-over capability instead of just being a stretch goal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Boogerman and Earthworm Jim to have crossover history though. They were both in Clayfighter 63 1/3
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    Boogerman and Earthworm Jim to have crossover history though. They were both in Clayfighter 63 1/3
    Sure, but not in a platform game where Earthworm Jim would presumably have his gun and head whip and other abilities that far outstrip anything Boogerman was ever capable of doing. I'm not saying it's impossible, but given the limited budget assuming this funds and the vague nature of the comments from the developer indicating that maybe they haven't really fully thought this through, I'm very skeptical. Apparently backers are as well since the total really hasn't moved much since the cross-over was announced.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I recall Boogerman being hard as balls with slippery controls and a moody hitbox.

Oh joy, I sure want to relive that crap!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post

While I agree for the most part, I strongly disagree lumping Ren & Stimpy together with them. That show was all sorts of brilliant. It wasn't that the grossed out aspects were shocking, it was the insane characterizations, the witty dialogue, the capturing of the demented, the censor-evading depravity which co-existed with a genuine affection. It was a solid show, and to be compared to Boogerman is an insult to it.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    While I agree for the most part, I strongly disagree lumping Ren & Stimpy together with them. That show was all sorts of brilliant. It wasn't that the grossed out aspects were shocking, it was the insane characterizations, the witty dialogue, the capturing of the demented, the censor-evading depravity which co-existed with a genuine affection. It was a solid show, and to be compared to Boogerman is an insult to it.
    It's not so much about Ren & Stimpy as it is about everything that tried to imitate it with varying degrees of success.

"Grossout" cartoons were incredibly influential in the 90s.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I merely brought up Ren & Stimpy as an example of the horrible "gross-out" fad of the early 90's. I agree that the show was well written and such, but I no more desire a reboot of that than I do a reboot of this game.

Classic gaming revivals that are heavily tied to an era that has long since past do not make sense. I'd scratch my head if Sega announced an Elf reboot, or Konami decided to do an HD remake of Rollergames.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Whatever the worth of the project, 375,000 is a non-starter. If you need that much money, it's not going to happen.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

This has finally gone Too Far.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Whatever the worth of the project, 375,000 is a non-starter. If you need that much money, it's not going to happen.
    I'm not following you. The Kickstarter for Shantae had a target of $400K and ended up at almost $800K. I would assume that Way Forward has a pretty good idea of what platform games cost to develop considering they have been doing it almost exclusively for the past decade or so without crowdfunding assistance. Why is $375K a non-starter? I personally have no interest in the IP they chose to resurrect, but I don't think anything about their actual budget or campaign is particularly flawed (well other than the tenuous EWJ cross-over which was badly handled).

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

It's a non-starter because it's Boogerman, they're not going to get 375 grand. Mutant League, General Chaos, both equally or more popular, didn't get a third of that.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Word. Ren Hoek is the man. Ren & Stimpy is such an excellent show, it does not deserve to be compared to the likes of Boogerman.

Cant wait to check out that Fart-Copter, though.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    It's a non-starter because it's Boogerman, they're not going to get 375 grand. Mutant League, General Chaos, both equally or more popular, didn't get a third of that.
    I don't know that Mutant League and General Chaos were equally or more popular. Boogerman actually was released on both SNES and Sega Genesis which is something neither Mutant League or General Chaos can claim. It also had a re-release on the Wii Virtual Console. While I personally never really liked Boogerman, it's not exactly a niche title and it certainly had a ton of promo in magazines and at retail in its day and there is clearly a pretty good size following as they already have twice as many backers as General Chaos and almost as many as Mutant Legaue did in their entire campaigns in just under a week. I agree that it's unlikely they will hit their target given that Kicktraq is showing the likely total as $100K even after the EWJ addition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I don't know that Mutant League and General Chaos were equally or more popular. Boogerman actually was released on both SNES and Sega Genesis which is something neither Mutant League or General Chaos can claim.
    I dont think Mutant League or General Chaos are more popular. I think all 3 are generally un-popular, with Boogerman being the most tolerable of the 3. Personally I think General Chaos is total garbage, and I was really shocked to find out that anyone really considers it to be a popular title.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I'm just wondering why Boogerman on the SNES is a $30 game. I played the Genesis version and just thought it was a generic platformer like so many of that time period, with the gross theme as a gimmick for appealing to kids. It's not the worst game ever but it feels more like an average $5 game.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    I dont think Mutant League or General Chaos are more popular. I think all 3 are generally un-popular, with Boogerman being the most tolerable of the 3. Personally I think General Chaos is total garbage, and I was really shocked to find out that anyone really considers it to be a popular title.
    The whole Mutant League franchise has some staying power. Look at what copies of Mutant League Hockey/football sell for now-a-days. It's got a solid base.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    The whole Mutant League franchise has some staying power. Look at what copies of Mutant League Hockey/football sell for now-a-days. It's got a solid base.
    I guess they would be the best out of the 3, Ive owned them a few times and couldnt bring myself to play them (being football and hockey). They have always been 20/30$ games, I always thought they were kinda rare.

General Chaos was also a 20$ game for a long time and probably still is. I played it a few times and I remember it being horrible. It came in one of those extra-fat genesis EA cases, which makes me hate it even more.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Ugh, yes, let's leave Boogerman in the 90s, please. It's both stupid AND mediocre, and I'll never understand why it has some degree of popularity and value. I guess it's just nostalgia goggles of 20-somethings who played Boogerman as kids.

I like Ren & Stimpy too, but the trend it started was horrible and the imitators only got worse and worse.