Thread: Neutopia (TG16)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Neutopia (TG16)

My first CIB TG16 game and my first 'real' game for it (i have final lap twin, kieth courage, and some shitty golf game)

What a great game so far. As others state it is like Zelda 1/Govellius to me. If you love those, you'll love this. Nice bright graphics, good music, pretty good control (though I find the TG16 D-pad stiff as a board and oddly placed) I havent found anything to be really annoyed with yet other than the password. I'm at the second castle/cave/whatever and only stopped playing because my hand is cramping up.

I really need to AV mod my 16 as RF, even on my 20" Trinitron is just sorta eww though it isn't as bad as I thought it owuld be.

Too bad #2 seems hugely expensive or i'd be picking that up now as well to have it ready for when I complete #1.

EDIT:
    Guess it isn't CIB.....wtf do you call it if you a jewel case + manual + card(with sleeve)?? CCIB?
    Last edited by bigbacon; 10-25-2013 at 07:07 PM.
    COMPLETED MY USA SMS SET!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I just started playing through the original after planning to for years.

If owning the actual cartridge isn't necessary when you're ready for part 2 and you own a Wii or Wii U, the sequel is available for $5 or so off the Wii Virtual Console. The ability to suspend the state of the game via the Wii emulator is perfect for these two and allows you to not mess with the password system.

Too bad that Neutopia III, apparently promised at the end of the second game, never happened.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-25-2013 at 07:52 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sadly I like playing on original hardware. I'm probably better off just picking up a TG16 flash card.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@Bigbacon:
    CIJC, I guess. Complete in jewel case. Otherwise it'd be the same term as disc consoles.

@Leo_A:
    Actually, they weren't cartridges. They were credit card shaped/sized, and called "hue cards."

In general, these games always felt like what should have come between the original Legend of Zelda and A Link to the Past.

Arcade Card Compatible Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Really need to pick up a copy of Neutopia, I've heard so many good things about it over the years. Hopefully I won't have any issues playing the PC Engine copy due to language whenever I get it. Also come on, Jack Nicklaus Turbo Golf wasn't that terrible lol.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^technically, neither was Keith Courage, but nostalgia might shape that outlook. It was the pack-in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightRider View Post
    ^technically, neither was Keith Courage, but nostalgia might shape that. It was the pack-in.
    By all means Turbo Golf sucked, was basically making a silly comment to the OP since I sold him the TG16 console and games. Keith Courage I feel is a good game though, not great but it's still fun.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by todesengel View Post
    Also come on, Jack Nicklaus Turbo Golf wasn't that terrible lol.
    Honestly, I think it wouldn't be a bad game if it wasn't SO darn slow and got a brighter and better color palette.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by bigbacon View Post
    Honestly, I think it wouldn't be a bad game if it wasn't SO darn slow and got a brighter and better color palette.
    That was the first thing that popped into my head when you mentioned it in your post, the horrible slow loading between screens. They did a release for the Turbo CD but I'm not sure if they fixed that screen transition issue. Glad to hear you're enjoying the TG16, definitely look into getting a PC Engine/Duo-R at some point.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i think if anything I'd go for the TurboDuo (is that region free?) or whatever I can get that can play anything on one machine would be best. Though the thought of an original TG16 + the TG-CD would be lovely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by bigbacon View Post
    i think if anything I'd go for the TurboDuo (is that region free?) or whatever I can get that can play anything on one machine would be best. Though the thought of an original TG16 + the TG-CD would be lovely.
    Only the CD's are region free but you can get a region mod done to play Japanese Hu-Cards. Just make sure that whoever you buy the TurboDuo from has had the caps replaced, if they didn't have that done you run the risk of the audio going out on you in the future. Also as cool as it would be to have the CD add on for the TG16, those things are super prone to breakage plus the System 3.0 card, which you need to play "Super CD" games, is really expensive. The Duo has the System 3.0 card built in already.
    Last edited by todesengel; 10-25-2013 at 08:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I have a love/hate relationship with Neutopia.

I really like the graphics and have a fondness for the Turbos sound chip. I thought the first two worlds (Overworld and Underworld) were a lot of fun. By the time I got the the last world (Air world) I was cursing at the horrible level design and it was a chore to finish the game. I don't remember all the details, but any wall you can bomb is clearly marked in each world. In the airworld they look like recessed stone archways and there are several of them on every other screen! Most of them don't hide any secrets and you end up wasting a lot of play time and a lot of bombs.

I have always wanted to play the second installment but have never got around to snagging a copy. I will some day.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really like Neutopia, and the fact that it is a 6-7 hours game I can play on any weekend. Some people thought the game is too short and easy, and they might be right, but it has the perfect length for me. Graphics and sound have a charm that takes me back to older times, even if I've just played the game for the first time this year. The only flaw I find is that it lacks a bit of replay value, but it has become one of my favorite TG-16 games. Heck, I finished it just 3 months ago and I'm feeling like playing it again!
    Step Back! This is my blast shot!