Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
I don't buy it either since nothing would be classic gaming then. But where mainstream retailers are concerned, it most certainly is a factor and hardly something to be confused about. You must realize that's what I meant and that I surely wasn't inferring that a system couldn't be classic gaming just because there were still brand new items available for it at something like a independent gaming store or up on eBay.

I can go to my local Wal-Right right now and buy brand new Dual Shock 2's, brand new 1st party memory cards, and a small variety of PS2 software that's still sticking around (Not to mention brand new games are still being released although they seem to largely be online exclusives around the world). Some of you folks were ready years ago even when new PS2's were everywhere and games were regularly coming out.

If that's not modern gaming, just what is? To me, classic gaming is when all but a select few have left the console behind and mainstream retailers and the manufacturers have ceased any sort of support since there simply isn't a customer base left to justify it any longer. That makes far more sense than an arbitrary standard that if it's two generations out of date then it's classic gaming. It's far too subjective for that sort of a standard I think and not every system from the same generation experiences the same lifespan. And when there's signs it's not even completely dead commercially, I certainly think that here's a bit of room for debate.

That said, I'd be comfortable shifting related discussion at this point to the classic gaming forum. I just don't think that it's un-debatable that it's not still modern gaming.
You still can't do that with Xbox, Game Boy Advance and Gamecube though. Playstation 2 is the only odd one out and it's the oldest of those four.