Thread: Beta/GD Recordable Dreamcast

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Beta/GD Recordable Dreamcast

I recently aquired a GD Recordable with a Beta versions of a game.

Does anyone here have more information about these discs? As I dont know too much about them, and I can't seem to play the games on my (modded) Dreamcast. Maybe they're playable only on a Devkit?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, You need an official boot disc (not utopia) to boot the the gd-r's...

DogP
    Virtual Boy Lives @ Project: VB

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DogP
    Actually, You need an official boot disc (not utopia) to boot the the gd-r's...

DogP
    Are those bootdiscs available somewhere, or will I never be able to boot the disc

btw, here's a picture of one of those GD Recordable's. I dont have this title though...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nope... those boot discs are VERY rare... a game without a bootdisc sells for very little (considering what it is), but if it has a bootdisc, then it makes it VERY expensive. Hopefully eventually, someone will figure out how to copy one of them, but I guess they don't copy like a standard Dreamcast original game (and neither do the gd-r's I guess). I'm assuming that nobody has figured out how to do it since there are so few of them, none of the large hacking groups have been able to get ahold of one (just a guess, I don't know why they would make a bootdisc actually uncopiable, but not implement the same technology in their regular games, or maybe the hacking groups just don't care about the DC anymore).

DogP

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DogP
    Nope... those boot discs are VERY rare... a game without a bootdisc sells for very little (considering what it is), but if it has a bootdisc, then it makes it VERY expensive. Hopefully eventually, someone will figure out how to copy one of them, but I guess they don't copy like a standard Dreamcast original game (and neither do the gd-r's I guess). I'm assuming that nobody has figured out how to do it since there are so few of them, none of the large hacking groups have been able to get ahold of one (just a guess, I don't know why they would make a bootdisc actually uncopiable, but not implement the same technology in their regular games, or maybe the hacking groups just don't care about the DC anymore).

DogP
    Everything else for Dreamcast has been hacked and cracked, so it makes you wonder why not those Boot Disks... What do these GD Recordables (incl game) go for?

thank you for the information anyway

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I dunno why those bootdiscs haven't been cracked yet... I'd assume that it'll be done eventually, or someone will figure out how to make a compatible loader, but as far as how much they go for... I've heard usually a few hundred bucks, for Half-Life I think I remember someone paying $500... but for the boot disc, I've heard of people paying around $1000 (I'm not really into the DC scene, so these might not be typical numbers, these are just ones that I've heard about).

DogP