Thread: Does Super Famicom Super Metroid have Englist text option?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Does Super Famicom Super Metroid have Englist text option?

I noticed my English version has Japan or English text. I kind of want to sell it and get the Japanese one. Anyone know if I can play that version all in English?

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

I have heard the the Japanese version has an English text option, but I do not own the Super Fami version so I have not tried it myself.

Even with Japanese text I cant see it being any harder to complete.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The NTSC-U and NTSC-J versions of Super Metroid are absolutely identical. There is no way to tell them apart without looking at the physical cart.

All the Japanese language option does is add Japanese subtitles to the screen for the intro and at the end of the game. The game itself is completely in English.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why do u want that?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The japanese and english version are exactly the same.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That's what I figured since the English version has Japan text option. I want the super famicom version because I own a super famicom and like the shape of the carts more, and the super metroid art is better. Plus super famicom games are normally cheaper. I can sell my English super metroid I installed a new battery and holder on eBay, and purchase at least 2 good Japan imports.

Press Select to Start Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does anyone know of or have a couple ideas for SFC games that are fun/great games that have a crucial "wouldn't be able to play the game otherwise" english language option? (Unless you speak Japanese of course)

Sorry if this post belongs in "Import-Mania"!! This thread was interesting because there are many identical SNES/SFC US/JPN releases, and many others with language according to region/country, it'd be great to know everyone's "play the SFC cart in english" picks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I would like to know that as well. I know of a lot of good Super Famicom imports, but sadly I do not know which ones have English text options. I assume not many, maybe only Metroid. The game is so lacking of text it probably made more sense to just make the option to use either text. I doubt any good RPG's have English text because a big problem is that some Japanese RPG's for Super Famicom were so text heavy that they never ported them to America, because from my understanding they would have been to large for one cartridge to hold all the information. I may be wrong on that.

I probably should have put this up in Import mania, but it's classic gaming also.

On a side note I know there is a PS2 version of Phantasy Star Collection that has a complete English text option for all the games in the collection. I can't remember which collection it was, because there were 2 of them.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

You could always get a snes flash cart and play english hacked games. Its really easy to apply the patches, if you need to.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wayultratech View Post
    Does anyone know of or have a couple ideas for SFC games that are fun/great games that have a crucial "wouldn't be able to play the game otherwise" english language option? (Unless you speak Japanese of course)

Sorry if this post belongs in "Import-Mania"!! This thread was interesting because there are many identical SNES/SFC US/JPN releases, and many others with language according to region/country, it'd be great to know everyone's "play the SFC cart in english" picks
    I thought someone actually looked for a list of literally-identical US/JP SNES games and the only other game to turn up was Mario Paint. Maybe Mario and Wario would've been had it been released in North America (haven't played through to the ending, so I don't know if that has Japanese text or not. But Peach is just PRINCESS, saving them from the Peach/Toadstool localization).
    (although it's hard to tell just from checking for identical binary data, as Nintendo required all third-party western releases to state "Licensed by Nintendo" while Japanese-origin games didn't, so third-party games would have at least that difference)

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by greedostick View Post
    I would like to know that as well. I know of a lot of good Super Famicom imports, but sadly I do not know which ones have English text options. I assume not many, maybe only Metroid. The game is so lacking of text it probably made more sense to just make the option to use either text. I doubt any good RPG's have English text because a big problem is that some Japanese RPG's for Super Famicom were so text heavy that they never ported them to America, because from my understanding they would have been to large for one cartridge to hold all the information. I may be wrong on that.

I probably should have put this up in Import mania, but it's classic gaming also.

On a side note I know there is a PS2 version of Phantasy Star Collection that has a complete English text option for all the games in the collection. I can't remember which collection it was, because there were 2 of them.
    That's because those games were already localized in English before the collection, so it was a simple matter of using the existing scripts. That scenario accounts for nearly all text-heavy Japanese games that include an English option, which are still a tiny percentage of Japanese games. If a Japanese game has an English option otherwise, like in Super Metroid, then it probably has a miniscule amount of text to begin with (in which case, it's likely import-friendly even when set to the Japanese option). Nobody is going to go to the huge effort to include multiple language options in a text-heavy game if the game is only being released in Japan (and since so many Japanese-developed games are released in Japan first, they often don't know at the time of development if an English version will ever exist). Localization for a text-heavy product is a difficult, time-consuming task and it would just be a waste of money for a Japanese audience that all speaks Japanese. It's not like, say, Canada where a significant portion of the population speaks a different language from the rest.

That said, I'm sure there are countless action games that are 100% identical, or 99.9%, between Japan and the US because there was no text or anything else that needed changing (a lot of Japanese games use English to begin with to label things like Life and what have you just because it's seen as cool and stylistic), or all that needed changing was something like the title screen or credits.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

What's weird is that the Super Famicom version of Wizardry V has English and Japanese options, but the SNES version released a year and a half later had the Japanese options removed.

Insert Coin (Level 0) TheDoctah's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by greedostick View Post

Nope, not ALL of the games. I dont remember off the top of my head but Its only part I or part II that has an English option in the Sega Ages Phantasy Star pack.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    What's weird is that the Super Famicom version of Wizardry V has English and Japanese options, but the SNES version released a year and a half later had the Japanese options removed.
    That kind of cut happens a lot. Phoenix Wright did too.

Many games release in Europe around the same time with more options. If not earlier.
    Everything from Dragon Ball Advanced Adventure, Advance Wars Days of Ruin, Zelda Skyward Sword... Could go on and on.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoctah View Post
    Nope, not ALL of the games. I dont remember off the top of my head but Its only part I or part II that has an English option in the Sega Ages Phantasy Star pack.
    I don't think I'm talking about the ages collection. I'm pretty certain because my friend brought it over and showed me. It had phantasy star 1-4 and another game on it.