Thread: Is Mortal Kombat the black sheep of the fighting game community?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is Mortal Kombat the black sheep of the fighting game community?

First off, I'm not trying to offend or provoke any Mortal Kombat fans with this thread, so my apologies in advance if I ruffle any feathers with this question. Second off, I really have no contact or much in the way of knowledge about the fighting community, so for all I know MK dominates the hearts and minds of everyone who is playing Street Fighter or Tekken in a tournament. Pardon my ignorance.

With that out of the way, I can't ever recall seeing anyone play Mortal Kombat in any video clips I've seen of fighting tournaments. Generally speaking, do fighting fans like the game or is its appeal stronger with the non-fighting game enthusiast video game playing demographic?

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

An interesting question I think and one that I have seriously asked myself too. I like the MK series quite a bit myself and I am definitely in the non fighting game enthusiast camp so maybe there is something to that thought. I certainly don't hate other fighting games but I just can't get into them. I also enjoy over the top violence and death traps built into the arenas. The only other fighting series I even enjoy is the Soul Calibur series though for what my input is worth.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Can't speak for everyone else but I sure as hell don't consider Mortal Kombat anywhere near Tournament worthy. It is basically knowing about 1-3 overpowered moves and using them over and over till the other guy forgets to block or gets worn down and that's about it.

Street Fighter at least doesn't have as many cheap moves and most are more apparent compared to a character disappearing off the screen in .05 seconds and reappearing behind the player in .05 seconds or flying at you non-stop, examples: Rayden Quan Chi.

I would certainly hope it is a black sheep of the tournament community and if there are any serious tournaments out there I certainly wouldn't want to watch them as they would be boring as hell.
    Last edited by BHvrd; 12-01-2013 at 11:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think some of the modern MK games get some Tourney play. Or at least Injustice does, which is basically a modern MK game. I believe historicly the MK games were never quite up to snuff for the Fighting game tourney scene. Maybe MK3? I'm not really familiar with the historical fighting game community.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

MK9 was in every EVO since it came out. It's a good game for people who aren't that into fighters imo, but extremely unbalanced I think. I'm not pro though, maybe better than the average players scrub so pro level scrub at fighting games.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Super Smash Bros series is the real black sheep.

You can find the MK9 tournaments from Evo the past 3 years. Doubt itll be at this next one due to Injustice, and Injustice may not be at Evo for that matter.

People who like most 2D fighting games but dont like MK is because of the block button. Mainly Chicago and NYC are MK hotbeds. Between UMK3 and MK9 the games werent tournament appropriate or the fanbase just wasnt into having big tournaments for the games and making set rules to follow to make the cheaper things in the game be manageable.

I think this tournament was on friday of that weekend, not a lot of people showed up to watch, whereas other tournaments were on fire. The winner had to go through 3 Kabal's in the top 8 alone. Still it was a great tournament, all the tournaments this past year were awesome.

Test Your Might and here are good places to find out more about MK. http://forums.shoryuken.com/categories/mortal-kombat
    Last edited by JakeM; 12-03-2013 at 03:56 PM.