Thread: PS4 & Xbone: No New Media?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Scotterpop's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default PS4 & Xbone: No New Media?

It seems a bit strange to me to see a new Playstation on the market and not see a new storage format being ushered in by Sony. Each generation of Playstation helped popularize new storage mediums for consoles: The PS1 had CD-ROM, the PS2 had DVD, and the PS3 gave us Blu-ray. Even the PSP tried valiantly to make UMDs successful. So with the new systems from Sony and Microsoft both using Blu-ray discs, do you think we may have hit a plateau for optical disc storage for consoles? It just seems odd that there's not a shiny new super-advanced game format to help us welcome the next generation. Maybe that's because we're finally at the digital-only horizon, and physical media's days are truly numbered. What do you guys think?
    Death to Videodrome! Long live the new flesh!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scotterpop View Post
    It seems a bit strange to me to see a new Playstation on the market and not see a new storage format being ushered in by Sony. Each generation of Playstation helped popularize new storage mediums for consoles: The PS1 had CD-ROM, the PS2 had DVD, and the PS3 gave us Blu-ray. Even the PSP tried valiantly to make UMDs successful. So with the new systems from Sony and Microsoft both using Blu-ray discs, do you think we may have hit a plateau for optical disc storage for consoles? It just seems odd that there's not a shiny new super-advanced game format to help us welcome the next generation. Maybe that's because we're finally at the digital-only horizon, and physical media's days are truly numbered. What do you guys think?
    Blu Ray still has plenty of space with multi-layer technology to contain even the largest games right now. Frankly, Sony is embracing digital media as their solution for 4K content and the PS Vita essentially uses modified versions of existing card storage, so I doubt there is some new disc technology on the horizon that they would push for home consoles.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd imagine that things got a little expensive. (What with introduction, and all that.) More than enough reason to keep the current format. Not to mention that blu-rays get the job done fairly well. imo

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As cool as Holographic Versatile Discs are, until 4K gaming becomes a thing there is not much of a need for something with a capacity of several terabytes.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Each generation of Playstation helped popularize new storage mediums for consoles: The PS1 had CD-ROM,
    Much as PS2/3 helped popularize DVD/BR, I don't think PSX actually did much at all for CD. Audio CD had been around a long time, and it's not like PSX was a cheap CD player (though apparently the first revision was a damn good one, not that it sounds any different to my peasant ears). And as for games, all it really did was take what Sega and NEC had already done as add ons and make it the default (and Sega did that too). The format was also rapidly gaining momentum on the PC at the time as well (unlike DVD which took an oddly long time to catch on for PC, and BR still hasn't).

But back to the main point, yeah, it is weird for PS4 to be using the same disc type as PS3. BR's still new for Xbone, though. But if MS had their druthers I'm sure everything would be DRM'd up digital downloads.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

So with the new systems from Sony and Microsoft both using Blu-ray discs, do you think we may have hit a plateau for optical disc storage for consoles?
    Maybe, in the sense that blu-ray is simply good enough. I dont foresee anyone releasing a new media format to the masses anytime soon. new media is just not needed. Unless new games (in the future) become massive in size we will probably be using blu-ray for awhile.

I think when we do see new media developed and released it will be mainly so movie companies can re-release and re-sell you movies at 15-25$ each.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RP2A03 View Post
    As cool as Holographic Versatile Discs are, until 4K gaming becomes a thing there is not much of a need for something with a capacity of several terabytes.
    Sony is not involved in the HVD group. In fact, Panasonic and Sony only recently (July of this year) announced a 300GB Blu Ray derivative as their next disc format but they won't even publish the specs until 2015.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

By the time blu-ray isn't big enough for games, we won't be buying physical copies of games anymore. Why develop technology you'll never need at a cost of (I'm assuming) hundreds of millions of dollars.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by camarotuner View Post
    By the time blu-ray isn't big enough for games, we won't be buying physical copies of games anymore.
    Well if we are going to assume that companies will stop putting out physical media, then the game system would need a pretty large hard drive to accommodate downloading many games. I think its going to be awhile before we see games that dont fit on blu ray discs.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Cartridges were used for how many system generations? Just because it's a disc doesn't mean it can't do the same. CDs were used for 2 generations and Xbox used DVDs for 2 generations, so also don't forget that.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Given that these systems force the full games to be installed on the hard disc, I certainly hope they aren't using a LARGER format!!!
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

We also all seemed to have missed the obvious, just use more than 1 disc. Lots of 360 RPG's were multi-disc and even some "regular" games were towards the end.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

BR was too big for last gen. Theres probably less than 20 multi disk games for xbox 360. Bluray was put in PS3 because Sony was trying to push a format that they invested in.
    Bury me with my money......*dies*

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by CDiablo View Post
    BR was too big for last gen. Theres probably less than 20 multi disk games for xbox 360. Bluray was put in PS3 because Sony was trying to push a format that they invested in.
    37 to be specific. Found a list online lol.