Thread: MegaRace

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Arrow MegaRace

Who here remembers this classic? Ah, I remember it well from when my computer was upgraded with a "multimedia set": a 4x CD-ROM drive, a SoundBlaster-16, and a bevvy of bundled CD-ROM games. I don't remember if MegaRace itself was included with the bundle, or if it was a demo I played shortly thereafter, or a game I borrowed from the library or rented from the store, but MegaRace has always stuck out in my mind. It was the first multimedia racing game I ever played, and the host and his jokes/antics are still memorable today. But the racing itself, wow, it was so beautiful with those atmospheric pre-rendered video racetracks and awesome music.

Thankfully this isn't a game series lost to the mists of time, for although we haven't had a sequel in an age, all three MegaRace games are available from GoG.com. But I hope to one day find my original CD-ROM laying amongst the dustier, stored-away parts of my collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I don't know if I'd consider this game "classic", unless you mean the humorous hosting of Lance Boyle ("I'm Lance Boyle and you'd be too if you were me!"). It's like Cave Johnson took notes from this dude. Anyway, even though it was cool in regards to the graphics and the CG video, the actual game play was like a boring version of Road Blasters. I played it on a 486 SX 33, which was enough to run this game and then I had it as a demo for a Pentium 120 when I worked in retail at the time and it was still boring.

Granted thems may be fightin' words but that's how I see it. I had no idea there was a THIRD game in the series (it needed to be a trilogy?).

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Angry

Thems is fightin' words! I'm gonna turn ya into toasted pulp on the speedway, ya gang member scum!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't remember it but the pictures I just looked up looks familiar, at least the weirdo in the jacket. I hope I'm not confusing it with hi-octane as that was pure badass fun. Honestly I remember the softcore or G-rated games put out by Megatech people went goofy over in the mid/later 90s.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I certainly do remember it, and for the exact same reason you do. It did come as a complete game with a multimedia CD-ROM and SoundBlaster upgrade kit. I also remember Strike Commander(Wing Commander with fighter jets) came with the bundle...as well as several other games but I can't recall what any of those were at this time.

Anyways, I remember mainly liking it for the humorously annoying Lance Boyle. The races were just a thing to get through to get to hear what he said next.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...