Thread: How do I clean a really nasty CD

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How do I clean a really nasty CD

Today I was cleaning my Sisters house to help her move and I find my copy of House of the dead that I lended to her a few years ago.

The thing was still in its case but covered with gunk that looks like dried soda!

I've looked at the cd and I don't see any scratches but is there anyway to get that gunk off the CD and save it?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Aboard a pirate ship, sailing towards adventure.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Soak it it warm water for a few days and then wash it off, should be as good as new.

Alchohol might work too.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raccoon Lad
    Soak it it warm water for a few days and then wash it off, should be as good as new.

Alchohol might work too.
    Are you for real? I never heard of this before? Strange
    Anyways what I do is get the cd doctor cleaner, it works wonders when it comes to make cds work like almost new again, I suggest you try this out you won't be sorry.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Yeah, but the CD Doctor makes your CD look like someone took a sand blaster to it, which isn't too far off from what it did. Anytime you're trying to fix something, take the less destructive method frist.

As 'coonie said, try soaking it first. If that doesn't work, get a bottle of Novus II plastic polish and use that. I've used that for years and been able to fix 99% of the messed up CDs I've come in contact with. As an absolute last resort, I'd use a CD Doctor or a re-surfacing service that some used CD places offer. Personally I'd only go the re-surfacing route if the disc won't work anyother way and at that point, what do you have to lose?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

By removing a layer of the disc's surface, are you damaging the polycarbonate protective covering of the disc? I have wondered what the long-term affect of this will be. Will it perhaps lead to oxidation of the aluminum reflective layer of the disc?

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

To be honest, I don't know, but it seems to me like the layer is the thickness it is for a reason and I'd rather not tamper with that. That's what bothers me about the way EB and others push the Disc Doctor. It's a non-reversable process that is slightly destructive and should be used as a last resort rather than the soultion for everything from deep scratches to fingerprints as they sell it. I'm telling you, almost everytime plastic polish has done the trick for me. Much cheaper and rather harmless to use.

Pretzel (Level 4) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Duncan1800
    PSN
    Duncan1800

Put it this way. If you get a scratch in your's car's paint, do you sand off all the old paint and refinish it?

No. So why would you make that big a leap with your discs? :/

I follow the "clean, test, fix" method with grungy CDs. First, clean off the big chunks with Windex and a soft cloth (remember to wipe across the surface, not in circles). If you find visible scratches, use a good plastic polish (the aforementioned Novus or an automotive-grade equivalent) and buff well to minimize them.

If the scratch is still too deep for the polish to take care of, then you'll have to resort to grinding down a layer with the Disc Doctor. And after that, you'll still want to put a coat of polish on the freshened surface -- it always seems like it's still too rough, even though they do play okay afterwards.

For DVDs, the same process applies -- but be extremely careful as you clean and polish. DVDs are a lot more sensitive to tiny scratches, since the laser is more precise and the discs run at higher speeds.

Duncan
    Active systems owned: Wii, X360, PS3
    Inactive systems owned: RCA, INTV2, NES, SMS, Genesis, Lynx, SNES, Saturn, PS1, GBC, DC, PS2, GBA, Xbox, GC, PSP, DS
    Systems wanted: Coleco, 7800, TG16, GG, 3DS, Vita, WiiU

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks that worked like a charm! I soaked the CD in water for a few days and everything came off it. The CD even had melted chocolate on it and it took care of that too!

I've played House of the Dead (The CD they messed up) and it works fine now!

I didn't want to try to use a CD doctor on it because it was in such bad shape i was afraid it world just make it worse, maybe even ruin the CD Cleaner i put it in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Put it in the dishwasher.

Seriously.

Just make sure you pull it out before the dry cycle starts.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i really think you guys are crazy......for only one reason, my cd fixer has 2 pads, you can always just polish it instead of using the sanding pad as well......and if you can find a small hand polish pad for a car......and use the cleaner stuff they give you with a cd doctor.......you'll do less harm by hand. and the comment on how it may ruin cd's many years down the road.......you could be right but that just blows me away. the data on all cd's is supposed to be where the label is pretty much. if the label peels on your game......you might as well kiss it good bye. the rest of the cd, the plastic part just protects the label from scratches and it keeps it uniformity........or atleast that's what i've always thought. i really don't think they would create a machine/system to sand the bottom of games if it was going to eat the data. a scratch simply blocks the view of the laser.........lasers are sensitive and only do what they're told......they read the data.......not the data through scratches. and i could very well be wrong about everything i just posted. and another thing i've found works on cd's........if you're really pressed about it working......and what to fix it now. lick it......but make sure you get it good......then wipe it off with something soft. and i've had even better results with hacking a big ole loogie on it and swirling it around........then cleaning up. don't remember who tought me that......way before the cd copying era......but it works.......i would tell such a discusting story if it weren't true.......