Page 27 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: RetroN5: Hands on first look

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Easier just to put him on your ignore list, then those of us that already have don't have to see his messages being quoted.

LA (not the city, but the state next to Texas)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Easier just to put him on your ignore list, then those of us that already have don't have to see his messages being quoted.
    But you miss a lot of juicy drama that way...

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stardust4ever View Post
    But you miss a lot of juicy drama that way...
    Random predictable trolls like that clown don't really make for good drama, just a lot of wasted server space and not much else. We get better drama between regulars just discussing stuff back and forth. Just wait for the next Kickstarter topic, those usually attract a high level of argument.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Changing the topic. In other news, my Super Retro Trio just shipped from DasCheap. Give me something to play with while Hyperkin Retron5 drowns in a sea of missed deadlines, price hikes, and diarrhea of the mouth.
    Last edited by stardust4ever; 04-28-2014 at 06:29 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mercuryshadow09 View Post
    What am I talking with a bunch of teenagers? Yes Columbine. Why are you telling me to "Chill out, dude"?

"Light guns were suppressed for a time in the U.S. after the 1999 Columbine High School massacre and its attendant controversy over video games and gun crime.[36] Since the late 1980s light gun controllers have been generally manufactured to look like toys by painting them in bright colours. In Japan, which lacks the gun crime found in the U.S. and in which civilians cannot legally own guns, more realistic light guns are widely available."

http://gaming.wikia.com/wiki/Light_gun
    Yeah, I remember around 1987 Sega was working on a light gun in the shape of an uzi. Up until the late 80's, even water guns (look up Entertech, I had one) looked super real (red tip, but still). Well, real-looking toy guns somehow got banned, and 90's kids instead got Super Soakers.

I have no doubt that the changing political landscape had something to do with there being a lack of gun games the past decade and a half.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    Yeah, I remember around 1987 Sega was working on a light gun in the shape of an uzi. Up until the late 80's, even water guns (look up Entertech, I had one) looked super real (red tip, but still). Well, real-looking toy guns somehow got banned, and 90's kids instead got Super Soakers.

I have no doubt that the changing political landscape had something to do with there being a lack of gun games the past decade and a half.
    I remember the ban of toy guns back then-early 90's is when I noticed it. Even George Carlin referenced it in his stand up show "Doin' It Again"- "They banned the toy guns but they kept the f$&@in' REAL ones!" If memory serves there were a few news articles about cops being called to a scene stating there was someone prowling about in the dark. It was kids playing around with toy guns that looked real. Cop came around the corner with gun drawn, told the kid to "freeze". Kid didn't know any better and reacted in play and swiveled, brandishing the toy gun and got blown away. I read articles about those incidences with regular toy guns and even the original Laser Tag guns. Now I don't know if there was a bone fide ban on toy guns or if stores were pressured to pull the guns off the shelf. I know K-Mart in my area pulled the guns.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Yay, a new page. page 21 was filled with such crap I'm glad it can all be ignored now.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In the 90s it was DOOM, Wolfenstein, and Resident Evil. Now it's Halo, Gears of War, Call of Duty, and the myriad of other FPS games to come out over recent years. It was a well known fact that the Colombine kid used DOOM as a training simulator.

Thumbstick or light gun as an input method is irrelevant. I'm quite sure none of these guys got the idea to shoot people up from playing 8-bit classics like Duck Hunt or Target Shoot.
    Last edited by stardust4ever; 04-28-2014 at 04:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So no retron 5?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Should be out or at least final release announced in about a month or so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Got some rather bad news. Unless you want a $139 brick of e-waste, DO NOT plug in multiple carts!!!

From the NA thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by bunnyboy
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xNw...youtu.be&t=53s Their own PR guy saying it, but they have also shown MANY times that their PR guys have no idea what they are talking about...
    What I could get out of the audio feed:

"Yeah, so basically, um, what I can tell you is it takes one cart at a time. If you put in two carts, um, it may damage the system. [unintelligible] Probably, um, I'm pretty sure that's what happened, um, I'm not really sure, it could have been the dirty Famicom cart. [unintelligible] If you want, um, Justin has a presentation..."

EPIC FAIL!!!

As someone who has accidentally plugged in PCBs and Famicom Adapters backwards and made similar bonehead mistakes, all with zero damage to the original hardware, even the most careful retro collectors/gamers will make mistakes from time to time. Say nothing of casual consumers, Retron3, FC3, and the new Retro Tri run just fine with all cartridge slots plugged up. People are gonna plug in multiple games even if the manual says not to. Even the trained Hyperkin rep is not infallible as the video shows. I'm okay with an Error message. I'm not okay with the console breaking due to an extra game in an open slot. At least Brian's (aka "bunnyboy" aka RetroUSB) upcoming HDMI NES is dummy proof by crossing the connectors at right angles.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and recommend the Super Retro Trio for those people who want an all in one console without HDMI or save states. Reviews pending, it seems the audio on this latest clone is not messed up like many others, and it features full region selection for Genesis, and other improvements lacking in existing 3-in-1 clones like full support for all existing controllers. I'll give my two cents on the Trio when it arives in the mail.
    Last edited by stardust4ever; 04-28-2014 at 05:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

*Massive sigh*

Dude, you really need to lay off being such a sensationalist. You're really starting to remind me of horrible youtubers like ReviewTechUSA that always overblow everything.

Let's address this......'concern'.

1. Did you somehow not read the part when Brian pointed out that there are MANY examples where Hyperkin's PR guys say things that they have no idea what they are talking about?

2. Let's think about it. How is it even conceivably possible you could "damage" the RetroN5 by having two cartridges inserted at once? Common data lines? That's only true of the NES and Famicom, so then yes, it's kinda sorta theoretically possible you could confuse the hell out of the system by supplying it with two signals along a common connection. Otherwise, I do not see how it is even theoretically possible to damage the RetroN5 through multiple cartridges. The wost that could happen is the auto-boot sequence not working and telling you to remove all but one game. But that's a software thing, nothing "damaging" to hardware.

3. ......WHO CARES?! Even if it IS somehow possible to damage the system by plugging multiple games all at once, why is this even remotely a problem? Think about any other system in existance. How many games do you play at a time? More than one? Ever? No? Then....why is the Retron5 somehow any different? Just because it's got a pile of empty ports doesn't mean you need to have them filled at all times.

Alright, now time to address your boneheaded statements:

[I have] accidentally plugged in PCBs and Famicom Adapters backwards and made similar bonehead mistakes all with zero damage to the original hardware, even the most careful retro collectors/gamers will make mistakes from time to time.
    Plugging carts in wrong does not complete the circuit. You could never damage your game or system by doing that. It's designed that way. That said, there are ways you could damage your systems like using the wrong power supply. but if you do that, then who's fault is that?

Retron3, FC3, and the new Retro Tri run just fine with all cartridge slots plugged up.
    That's because those systems all use multi-state mechanical relays that funnel voltage to only one board and ignore the rest. They have no OS and thus no UI at all. Effectively, although those multicart systems are all x number of systems in one, they might as well be entirely independent consoles electrically speaking. Without a relay, those systems would INSTANTLY be damaged by multiple carts as they'd all be turned on at once. It would be like if you turned on a microwave, an oven, a blender, and a toaster all at the same time with the same common power socket.

The Retron5 doesn't use a mechanical relay because it has an OS and a UI. It's Android based, so it has a single core for everything. Unlike those on-a-chip clones, you cannot selective power one area when grounding others into dormancy. So I hope you understand how incredibly stupid it is to cite on-a-chip clones as being able to have multiple carts inserted at once.

People are gonna plug in multiple games even if the manual says not to.
    *facepalm* How is that in any way Hyperkin's fault? It's just like people buying PS4 boxes on ebay where the seller clearly said "this auction is for the box only. No console included" and then the buyer later trying to take up a paypal dispute with the seller.

Now with that being said, this is another reason why I highly doubt that it's even possible to damage a Retron5 with multiple carts. What will almost surely happen is there will be sort of error message, perhaps even the system auto shutting down until you remove all but one cart. Nothing else makes logical sense.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and recommend the Super Retro Trio.
    Do you even read what you write? Yeah. It sure is a good idea to recommend a product that you haven't yet tried yourself! Got any more brilliant suggestions?!!
    If only there was a common proverb that even young children know that said something about not counting chickens before they're hatched.

In the past, I've covered many Retro-Bit products. I expect the SRT will probably be mostly fine, with any audio problems fixable and maybe even some compatibility depending on the design of the _OACs. But c'mon dude. it's just laughably irresponsible to prematurely recommend a product you haven't had any experience with, no matter what it is.

And before you accuse me of defending Hyperkin and their bullshit, I'm not. I'm just defending common sense. Which is severely lacking in most of what you said.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by Atarileaf View Post
    This argument assumes I experience guilt. I do not.
    I second this.
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm surprised that guy is still around picking those fights on the last page of posts. Also that event happened in 1999, yet Sega and multiple third parties were still peddling light guns for the Dreamcast so they were't suppressed, just some people wussed out on making them. PS2 had a Namco gun as well too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

fact of the matter is if people wanted lightgun games, developers would make it happen.

the fact that they don't is telling.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    *Massive sigh*
    The stuff I quoted came out of hyperkin's mouth, not mine. Like I also said, the Retro Trio is in transit, meaning I've already bought and paid for it. Unless I refuse shipment somehow, it is mine to keep. If I experience faults with it, I'll let you guys know. I've already seen Blunty or whatever his name is YT channel where he captured directly from the Trio and I have third party confirmation that the system has good audio and video, NES, SNES, and Genesis.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Blunty3000

Any incompatabilities, I will document. I have an early revision SMRPG that works on clones, and some other SA-1 games like Kirby that certainly will not. I also own Virtua Racing and most of the common flash carts. Sadly, I don't own Castlevania III or I would test that as well. Somebody else will surely confirm CVIII as MMC5 is well known to be problematic with NES clones. In the coming weeks there will be tons of other reviews as well hitting YT.

Yes, I recommended a product before trying it out. Aside from press demonstrations, nobody really has tested the Retron5 to it's limits, who's not sitting behind a big NDA clause. At the moment there is video documentation on YT of the Retron failing and the Super Retro Trio doing exactly what it was designed to do. The evidence is on the wall. I'm not BS'ing stuff.

No smoke coming out my ass this time around.
    Last edited by stardust4ever; 04-28-2014 at 09:48 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) mercuryshadow09's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Seems I almost stepped in a troll trap, good luck arguing against what I've already proven!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mercuryshadow09 View Post
    Seems I almost stepped in a troll trap, good luck arguing against what I've already proven!
    Troll trap? You, sir, are the one who set it up.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I found an old Larami Uzi water gun last year, it was from the 80's in the original box but there was no red tip. The thing looked like a real gun, except for up close.

As for the Sega light guns, even the phaser might have looked a bit too real.
    http://kotaku.com/5160608/brazilian-...sega-light-gun

1. Did you somehow not read the part when Brian pointed out that there are MANY examples where Hyperkin's PR guys say things that they have no idea what they are talking about?
    Is this supposed to make me feel better about the company? They have no problem having incompetent staff working for them, even when this staff specifically interacts with consumers and potential customers.

*facepalm* How is that in any way Hyperkin's fault? It's just like people buying PS4 boxes on ebay where the seller clearly said "this auction is for the box only. No console included" and then the buyer later trying to take up a paypal dispute with the seller.
    They should still be designing their products to be idiot proof, like most manufacturers do. The same reason why companies put safeguards in place on appliances so people won't get injured or killed when using them inappropriately. Why do most console makers shape their cartridges so they can only be inserted one way? This is a console so there's a good chance kids will be playing with it, just design it well in case a kid doesn't follow the specific written instructions.

Just to point something out, a friend of mine apparently damaged his Super Famicom by trying to play some problematic copy of Yoshi's Island. The game didn't boot up right, and after trying for awhile to get the game to work, his console doesn't boot games anymore. Not with any games, even ones that used to play on it. I haven't seen it in person to verify this, but this is what he told me. I'm going with the view that it can be possible to damage a console with cartridges in certain situations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    They should still be designing their products to be idiot proof, like most manufacturers do. The same reason why companies put safeguards in place on appliances so people won't get injured or killed when using them inappropriately. Why do most console makers shape their cartridges so they can only be inserted one way? This is a console so there's a good chance kids will be playing with it, just design it well in case a kid doesn't follow the specific written instructions.
    Well said!