Page 43 of 76 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Thread: RetroN5: Hands on first look

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I just find it weird when you blame the consumer for playing the system brand new out of the box, as it was shipped from the factory, and coming across various compatibility problems. Why is this the consumer's fault?

With those current gen flash carts like the DS ones, I fully understand the need for firmware updates. As new games are released, the firmware gets updated to improve compatibility. With this Retron5 system, all of the games are long released and there aren't going to be any more releases(excluding possible homebrew releases). It's not sounding like it's just the obscure unheard of games having problems, it's with several popular titles too.

The Retron5 is still not out in most places.
    The Retron5 ships at firmware 1.0, which users can update manually through an SD card. This is required if you want any fixes to the 1.0's problems.
    Just responding quickly to these points.

-After several delays and a late release, Retron5 is still not widely available for purchase.
    -The few Retron5 systems available ship with buggy firmware and users must update the firmware immediately after receiving the console to make it suitably usable. Just like with games requiring Day 1 patches to be reliably playable without game breaking errors.

It's not the worst company out there, but it's not like people shouldn't be allowed to be mad at them for their mistakes. If a major console manufacturer released a console like this I'm sure people would be complaining just as much if not more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

At this point. my concern is more with quality control than the state of their firmware or ability to produce and ship systems out in a timely fashion. I don't have any concrete facts to back this up, but broken systems that aren't working anywhere close to correctly out of the box seem to be regularly reported at an alarming rate.

Obviously these were never going to be the best constructed piece of electronics in the world. But they seem worse off than we've accustomed to with clones and such. And at these prices, that's particularly disappointing. I hope they get things settled down in the coming months so ordering one won't feel like a crapshoot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I just find it weird when you blame the consumer for playing the system brand new out of the box, as it was shipped from the factory, and coming across various compatibility problems. Why is this the consumer's fault?
    Who said it was anyone's "fault"? What I was saying is that there were many games unavailable to both Hyperkin and their tester network. All the delays in the world would not have helped address these, and the Retron5 was and still is heavily delayed as it is.

Only through error reports submitted by the general consumer who does have access can Hyperkin's tech support find out about the problem and eventually address it. Theres no other way Hyperkin could have done this. Shipping the unit with initial compatibility issues was inevitable and not something you can blame Hyperkin for. I'll explain more in detail in your next point.

With those current gen flash carts like the DS ones... [but] with this Retron5 system, all of the games are long released and there aren't going to be any more releases(excluding possible homebrew releases). It's not sounding like it's just the obscure unheard of games having problems, it's with several popular titles too.
    What you're failing to take into account is the sheer complexity of properly emulating everything for these systems/games given that the Retron5 is a ROM dumper, not pure software. It still has to interact with pin configurations and interpret the hundreds of various mappers used on the different systems.

Even when talking about "popular" games, there are issues when the way their boards work differ from the norm, such as HiROM boards on SNES/SFC. These issues need to be reported with the RetroN5's error diagnostics before they can be fixed, and many such problems are indeed being fixed. Complaining about the 1.0 firmware is rather stupid.

Just responding quickly to these points.

-After several delays and a late release, Retron5 is still not widely available for purchase.
    -The few Retron5 systems available ship with buggy firmware and users must update the firmware immediately after receiving the console to make it suitably usable. Just like with games requiring Day 1 patches to be reliably playable without game breaking errors.

It's not the worst company out there, but it's not like people shouldn't be allowed to be mad at them for their mistakes. If a major console manufacturer released a console like this I'm sure people would be complaining just as much if not more.

That is correct, yes. Hyperkin is a small company and small companies make more blunders than large ones, and as their communities are smaller there's less outcry when things go awry. You keep saying things like "buggy firmware" but it was unavoidable there would be initial problems and it was understood right from the first time Hyperkin released details that the Retron5 would be emulation based that the end user would have to update the firmware to fix problems and gain compatibility. This is exactly what excited me and many others to begin with - the whole fact that unlike any existing clone, Hyperkin's problems were all fixable through firmware updates, and since early June, there have already been several.

My final word on the matter is that if you aren't prepared to go through the process of updating the system's firmware on a fairly regular basis just as you would a modern console, then the RetroN5 isn't for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    At this point. my concern is more with quality control than the state of their firmware or ability to produce and ship systems out in a timely fashion. I don't have any concrete facts to back this up, but broken systems that aren't working anywhere close to correctly out of the box seem to be regularly reported at an alarming rate.

Obviously these were never going to be the best constructed piece of electronics in the world. But they seem worse off than we've accustomed to with clones and such. And at these prices, that's particularly disappointing. I hope they get things settled down in the coming months so ordering one won't feel like a crapshoot.
    Leo, are you at all familiar with Hyperkin's previous releases? from the Retron3 to the Supaboy, Hyperkin has a history of a fairly high failure rate in their products. While not strictly speaking Hyperkin's fault since they aren't the direct manufacturer, you need to come to expect this kind of thing from them. It sucks, but that's reality.

This is also my chief concern with the RetroN5, and why I'm waiting to buy the system I preordered rather than get an American who lives in the south and would have access to the limited stock that currently exists to mail me one. If there ends up being a problem with the one I preordered, I'll be able to much more easily get it replaced locally rather than shipping it internationally with all that additional cost and waiting.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well Satoshi got that well covered. I'd like to hit on a few things.

As to the 'alarming rate' of broken systems is not entirely true, well not black and white. We know I have the system and work with the tech despite the 12hour difference as much as I can which keeps me up later than I'd like some nights, and we talk, not just about the system bugs but in general. I brought up the complaining online, and from what has been gathered so far, it's a very small percentage of current owners who have truly defective units or controllers. Yes there are a few, but it's in the single digit like percentage of stuff, it's no xbox 360 clusterf... by any means. Yes there have been some plastics in the controllers that went bad legit and not by being abusive, and yes some people have had bad pins. But what are bad pins? To them it would be stuff that grips so hard that it will bend or snap off the teeth in a slot, it's rare.

The issue is a lot of the bitching about this system is from impatient, ignorant, and/or lazy people with the system. The impatient types see the firm grip on the carts as it being broken, but and I can attest to this having stuffed carts in and out of the various slots quite a bit so far, they with use find a new happy center where they hold the game, but not with kung fu grip. The Genesis is the worst of the slots with it, the boards are slightly thicker than the Nintendo carts but the gap is the same so it gets toothy. Next, the ignorance and laziness factor. I guess I can use AZ to point a convenient finger. He did not update the application software from .20 to .22, nor has it been upgraded on the firmware from 1.0 to 1.31. His list of complaints, with those fixes, that entire list changes to something very different and more positive and that's the laziness. Couple this with fools who don't read instructions and just toss games into it, they probably won't realize you can upgrade the firmware/application software so it will be a perpetual .20/1.0 setup which works as awful if not worse than the shittiest of Yobos.

The thing is people have to realize something and satoshi hit it. They're a small company, small resources, and this was/is a HUGE project for them as they're not just importing the same LOCKED system on a chip junk. Think for a moment just how many games between regions exist for the NES/Famicom, SNES/SFC, MD/Genesis+Powerbase w/SMS, GB, GBC, and GBA. Ten thousand? Is it really reasonable to assume they could buy let alone test every single game? No. The system in a way is like your modern console of this/last generation with internal storage and being as tested as possible, and then leaving it up to the owners with different configurations of stuff to work out things. I'm suffering for it having lost again last night my FF6A save where I got up to gau/veldt but it is a fun ride seeing what gets fixed on these betas. The biggest gripe really at this rate once the new release drops would be the NES, not even the Famicom but really the NES and all the wonky mappers and hacks done even on the games in the day that they have to figure out now with trial and error. Last evening the tech had some time and implemented a mapper auto-detection routine for 0-4 to be intended as a fallback when their database fails and he belives it will help with repro(bootleg) and homebrew detection.

Since I did out AZ as an example sorry. I want to let you know that through v1.31 of the firmware they realized there were multiple detection errors with games. It was both a general reading error against the internal database, but with the 8bit stuff you also have a power issue of some sorts where the handshake the software would send to dump the cart wasn't right so it would not detect or misread games. This has been fixed and further fixes keep coming. Also about the slow load on the GBA, that's a fix that's coming. They developed a routine to be added once the critical issues are solved where it will fetch data enough to boot the game itself and while it's going through it's copyright/splash/pre-title screen stuff it will load the rest of the ROM in the background. This will be for anything other than the NES since those are small and will supposedly cut the load times down a lot. I for one can't wait as I like using the thing to play GBA games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Also about the slow load on the GBA, that's a fix that's coming. They developed a routine to be added once the critical issues are solved where it will fetch data enough to boot the game itself and while it's going through it's copyright/splash/pre-title screen stuff it will load the rest of the ROM in the background. This will be for anything other than the NES since those are small and will supposedly cut the load times down a lot. I for one can't wait as I like using the thing to play GBA games.
    I'm glad to hear that, but I wonder how that will apply universally, since many GBA games have copyright/splash/pre-title screen stuff that is either extremely short or can be skipped through. Golden Sun, Pokemon, even Mother 3, and that's a 256 meg cart.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

.20/1.0 setup which works as awful if not worse than the shittiest of Yobos.
    Notice in my post I never mentioned any opinions on the unit, or Hyperkin, or anything else, I basically stated facts and asked questions.

After going through the convoluted, needlessly complicated update process and downloading a 160mb update along with a smaller 4mb update, some of the problems did go away. Carts across the board are detected by name much better and the Famicom slot does actually work for some games. I found out that the unit not only doesn't even detect multi-game FC carts (no compatibility expected anyway) but also the majority of pirated single game carts and all (that I own) legitimate unlicensed carts. Does this affect the vast majority of owners? Nope, only a fraction of a fraction, but I hadn't saw this mentioned anywhere and it leaves me with a reason to hang on to a cheap $10 Famiclone system.

Some Mark III games appear to work with the appropriate converter but I didn't test a lot. The hotswapping issue along with the death-grip MD slot left me fearing for my converter, which would be much harder to replace than the R5.

As far as a bugged release... well things blatantly mentioned on the outside packaging (built-in list of preprogrammed cheats, Famicom cart compatibility) aren't actually in the box. Nowhere does it have an asterisk saying "Internet download required", you just assume it has what's included. I can see a lot of users never bothering with the update process at all or being either lost/discouraged by the update process.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Oh come on. It's hardly convoluted and complicated. Is it really that hard to put an SD card into the system, then into a PC to get the update file, to then slide it into the system and have it Auto Update. Life must be hard being spoiled by a modern console with wifi built it. Sheesh.

The 1.31 update is aging, there is another more complete piece I noted coming that has a lot better detection routines so it will improve. The slot is just firm because they didn't make it a little wider as Sega boards are thicker than Nintendo, but it will soften with time. I agree it's bad that a lot of people won't think for themselves and consider these early units crap, but once they get another run of them out months later with the better firmware and application versions on board it will be better for it.

Pirate carts don't work, they may work later, but they were actively trying to support piracy out of the box. The techs think otherwise and while they won't allow copier units, famiclones (I have a few too) just will or won't work until they can work on it more and I suspect some just won't at all like multicarts since it will likely dump nothing or just the file system without cart specific patches and there's far too many to bother. My famiclone of Moon Crystal works, but SMB2j, Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa and Crisis Force(which I have a legit replacement for coming) do not. I've got a couple dozen famicom games, most of them are wonky Konami VRC and Sunsoft mapper games and they're fine so the slot isn't the issue as it wouldn't make sense if some ran and others don't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

I saw a RetroN5 today at my local store. I asked for the price and I didnt expect it to be this high! 230$ with taxes?!? 170$ more and you get a ps4 or xbone. I just dont get the "emulator working with cartridge" thing, I mean i can play emulators for free on my phone, tablet, pc and ouya so this thing just doesnt seem right for me.

LA (not the city, but the state next to Texas)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    I saw a RetroN5 today at my local store. I asked for the price and I didnt expect it to be this high! 230$ with taxes?!? 170$ more and you get a ps4 or xbone. I just dont get the "emulator working with cartridge" thing, I mean i can play emulators for free on my phone, tablet, pc and ouya so this thing just doesnt seem right for me.
    Don't buy from them. They are obviously price gouging!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    Leo, are you at all familiar with Hyperkin's previous releases? from the Retron3 to the Supaboy, Hyperkin has a history of a fairly high failure rate in their products. While not strictly speaking Hyperkin's fault since they aren't the direct manufacturer, you need to come to expect this kind of thing from them. It sucks, but that's reality.
    Yeah, I'm familiar with their reputation. But it's particularly disappointing that it's still letting them down so much with a much more expensive product which has seen lengthy delays. Especially one that shows so much promise and is delivering on much of what we've hoped for. They've really surprised me on the software side of things and to my shock, look committed to further improvements.

But sadly, build quality appears to be a growing concern as more of these reach their customers.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 06-20-2014 at 11:26 PM.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Two things I noticed:

Cheats

As mentioned cheats are a preprogrammed list that must be downloaded from Hyperkin's website, they do not come on the device out of the box and you can't just enter your own. Currently only supports ROM codes and the code list looks to be lifted straight out of a Galoob handbook because there are several references to flipping the FX switch on/off and many codes that are modifiers (levels, weapons, etc) that have a XX variable you change for different effects. Onscreen it just say "Weapon modifier" and you of course can't change the variable to anything. Code list file names must be named a particular way and can only be stored on the SD card, cannot be copied to internal memory. Apparently there is GBA and SMS code support but Hyperkin has not provided any code lists for those systems so the feature currently unavailable for those two systems.

Saves

Battery backup saves are saved as standard .SAV files and given a name depending on the header of the game. You can use saves from emulators and other places but you must change the filename to the exact same name generated by the Retron5 for the original .SAV file in order to load it. The internal file browser will let you copy/delete files from both SD card and internal memory but it will not let you rename files.

None of my SMS games with SRAM are recognized as even having such by the console (tried 4), so it does not give me an option of importing/exporting saves with the carts. Additionally when the game starts none of my existing save files are there. I get to find out tomorrow after I unhook my 32x if the console has actually wiped out my original saves from the carts.

The one GBA EEPROM game I had dumped the save file to system memory OK and I was able to play with it. I did not attempt to rewrite the updated file to the cart.

Oh come on. It's hardly convoluted and complicated. Is it really that hard to put an SD card into the system, then into a PC to get the update file, to then slide it into the system and have it Auto Update. Life must be hard being spoiled by a modern console with wifi built it. Sheesh.
    I bought this thing for the same purpose as the my Retro Duo, RetroN3, and other orphan hardware; something to dick around with for a while then shove in the closet. In no fashion will it replace my original consoles and if I feel the need to play anything on my HDTV I have a dozen other options available all of which are faster, cheaper, and more convenient than the RetroN5.

Even though I bought one this unit isn't aimed at me. Hyperkin wants to sell as many units to as many people as possible. As mentioned many times before it's in a weird spot, too pricey and feature laden/complicated for casual retro users yet too expensive and limited for hardcore retro addicts. When I look at this from the point of view from someone (example: my brothers) who grew up playing these games and may want to replay some old games they have in their attic, they're not going to be jumping through all these hoops. Chances are, in real life outside of internet forums and fan subculture, someone wanting to play a 25 year old game they had a child and hasn't already done so through the thousands of other ways available probably isn't the most tech savvy person. This process isn't brain surgery but could have been easier for someone like that.

So complicated? Ehh, depends on your level of tech experience. Convoluted? Absolutely. First, I put an SD card in and pick "update software" from the menu. Go to the Hyperkin website and find out I didn't have to do that because first I have to download a 160mb update file before I can do the regular updates. Apparently this huge file isn't a security concern like the small 4mb update because not only do they have a direct link to it on their website but they encourage end users to torrent this very file. Download it, plug the SD card in and install it, after the install the system is a useless paperweight. You cannot do anything, perform any functions other than power on/off, once you do the big update, because it's now asking you for the small update. (Never was that mentioned anywhere prior to installation).

Now I have to go and do the update request again on the system since the software has changed after my last request. Walk upstairs to the computer, go to Hyperkin's website, and first I have to attach this 1kb update request file and do a Captcha form before I can download the update. Apparently having open, direct access to this tiny update or having the ability for other websites or individuals to host this update is a big security concern requiring all these steps. Heaven forbid I just directly download the file from somewhere. Download the file, update the system again, and it's up and running.

Oh wait, the built in code list is a separate download and isn't included with either the small or large system updates. Back upstairs again.

Again, this is a minor inconvenience to me and it certainly didn't hurt my brain trying to follow the steps, but call the situation for what it is. How many users are going to do this? Is the target audience of Hyperkin and Retrobit, along with every other two bit clone maker, really going to do all this? Not only once, but on a regular basis? I will, sure, but what of the guy that never does? From the stock "out of the box" experience advertised on the box and features listed inside the manual, are these consistent with what it actually does straight away? I'd like to hear input from people in that vein.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

AZ: I've got a test build for what probably will be 1.4 whenever it drops. (See post 835 for detais)

GBA and SMS cheats, they exist, I have them. 1.4 brings an entirely retooled cheat setup, and the beta I got had a 2nd link with a zip file with 5 XML files in it, and GBA and SMS is in there along with NES, SNES and Genesis. They actually jacked it from a few sources, one being gamehacking.org which is admitted to as I asked.

Save files -- Your SMS issue could probably be fixed, the new release specifically has a blanket statement about 'SMS compatibility fixes' so keep an eye out. GBA saves are bugged on my build. GBA uses SRAM, FLASH, and EEPROM depending on the game. SRM possibly has regressed into corrupting save files upon placing the game in the unit, or it did this to me as I put the game in while it was booting up(animated screen). FLASH save is fine. EEPROM is fine to download, but you can't upload back to the cart. NES and SNES have no problems nor should Genesis on this build. I think on 1.31 dragon warrior iv had a save issue where it wasn't reading them from the cart (didn't on mine but it is there) and zelda did that too but not zelda 2.

System itself. I think the process is about as easy as you could get short of not having to prove you had a legit unit by uploading a stupid file, it could have just easily had people put the file on a SD card and go with that, but to add Wifi so it was idiot button/process free would have raised the price higher. So basically you did what I did on accident, ran the firmware update before the application update and had a temporary brick? It was annoying but at least if you put the small .22 update it automatically sends it over and reboots so it works again.

You're being dramatic you know? If it's that hard for you to walk up the steps, perhaps exercising is in order or bring the system upstairs? Keep in mind as these roll out eventually the newer units will have the completed firmware and application software on them as they won't keep shipping the base software. It's just a weird moment now where some have it, and a lot don't due to the soft launch.

Thing is since I agreed on this thing to help beta test it I'm getting it far worse than most. I've had multiple save games erased in the name of testing and have put a few more test revisions on my system as well for better or worse. Thankfully my system and laptop which is anchored to my work desk at 10ft apart, but still I realize in time probably a month or two it will all be ironed out and smooth sailing and when it's there those updates will be put to the systems before they hit retail so even those who have no brain of their own or are too lazy will be able to enjoy the cheat system and the upgrades to the software.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    Two things I noticed:

Cheats

As mentioned cheats are a preprogrammed list that must be downloaded from Hyperkin's website, they do not come on the device out of the box and you can't just enter your own. Currently only supports ROM codes and the code list looks to be lifted straight out of a Galoob handbook because there are several references to flipping the FX switch on/off and many codes that are modifiers (levels, weapons, etc) that have a XX variable you change for different effects. Onscreen it just say "Weapon modifier" and you of course can't change the variable to anything. Code list file names must be named a particular way and can only be stored on the SD card, cannot be copied to internal memory. Apparently there is GBA and SMS code support but Hyperkin has not provided any code lists for those systems so the feature currently unavailable for those two systems.

Saves

Battery backup saves are saved as standard .SAV files and given a name depending on the header of the game. You can use saves from emulators and other places but you must change the filename to the exact same name generated by the Retron5 for the original .SAV file in order to load it. The internal file browser will let you copy/delete files from both SD card and internal memory but it will not let you rename files.

None of my SMS games with SRAM are recognized as even having such by the console (tried 4), so it does not give me an option of importing/exporting saves with the carts. Additionally when the game starts none of my existing save files are there. I get to find out tomorrow after I unhook my 32x if the console has actually wiped out my original saves from the carts.

The one GBA EEPROM game I had dumped the save file to system memory OK and I was able to play with it. I did not attempt to rewrite the updated file to the cart.

I bought this thing for the same purpose as the my Retro Duo, RetroN3, and other orphan hardware; something to dick around with for a while then shove in the closet. In no fashion will it replace my original consoles and if I feel the need to play anything on my HDTV I have a dozen other options available all of which are faster, cheaper, and more convenient than the RetroN5.

Even though I bought one this unit isn't aimed at me. Hyperkin wants to sell as many units to as many people as possible. As mentioned many times before it's in a weird spot, too pricey and feature laden/complicated for casual retro users yet too expensive and limited for hardcore retro addicts. When I look at this from the point of view from someone (example: my brothers) who grew up playing these games and may want to replay some old games they have in their attic, they're not going to be jumping through all these hoops. Chances are, in real life outside of internet forums and fan subculture, someone wanting to play a 25 year old game they had a child and hasn't already done so through the thousands of other ways available probably isn't the most tech savvy person. This process isn't brain surgery but could have been easier for someone like that.

So complicated? Ehh, depends on your level of tech experience. Convoluted? Absolutely. First, I put an SD card in and pick "update software" from the menu. Go to the Hyperkin website and find out I didn't have to do that because first I have to download a 160mb update file before I can do the regular updates. Apparently this huge file isn't a security concern like the small 4mb update because not only do they have a direct link to it on their website but they encourage end users to torrent this very file. Download it, plug the SD card in and install it, after the install the system is a useless paperweight. You cannot do anything, perform any functions other than power on/off, once you do the big update, because it's now asking you for the small update. (Never was that mentioned anywhere prior to installation).

Now I have to go and do the update request again on the system since the software has changed after my last request. Walk upstairs to the computer, go to Hyperkin's website, and first I have to attach this 1kb update request file and do a Captcha form before I can download the update. Apparently having open, direct access to this tiny update or having the ability for other websites or individuals to host this update is a big security concern requiring all these steps. Heaven forbid I just directly download the file from somewhere. Download the file, update the system again, and it's up and running.

Oh wait, the built in code list is a separate download and isn't included with either the small or large system updates. Back upstairs again.

Again, this is a minor inconvenience to me and it certainly didn't hurt my brain trying to follow the steps, but call the situation for what it is. How many users are going to do this? Is the target audience of Hyperkin and Retrobit, along with every other two bit clone maker, really going to do all this? Not only once, but on a regular basis? I will, sure, but what of the guy that never does? From the stock "out of the box" experience advertised on the box and features listed inside the manual, are these consistent with what it actually does straight away? I'd like to hear input from people in that vein.
    AZ: I've got a test build for what probably will be 1.4 whenever it drops. (See post 835 for detais)

GBA and SMS cheats, they exist, I have them. 1.4 brings an entirely retooled cheat setup, and the beta I got had a 2nd link with a zip file with 5 XML files in it, and GBA and SMS is in there along with NES, SNES and Genesis. They actually jacked it from a few sources, one being gamehacking.org which is admitted to as I asked.

Save files -- Your SMS issue could probably be fixed, the new release specifically has a blanket statement about 'SMS compatibility fixes' so keep an eye out. GBA saves are bugged on my build. GBA uses SRAM, FLASH, and EEPROM depending on the game. SRM possibly has regressed into corrupting save files upon placing the game in the unit, or it did this to me as I put the game in while it was booting up(animated screen). FLASH save is fine. EEPROM is fine to download, but you can't upload back to the cart. NES and SNES have no problems nor should Genesis on this build. I think on 1.31 dragon warrior iv had a save issue where it wasn't reading them from the cart (didn't on mine but it is there) and zelda did that too but not zelda 2.

System itself. I think the process is about as easy as you could get short of not having to prove you had a legit unit by uploading a stupid file, it could have just easily had people put the file on a SD card and go with that, but to add Wifi so it was idiot button/process free would have raised the price higher. So basically you did what I did on accident, ran the firmware update before the application update and had a temporary brick? It was annoying but at least if you put the small .22 update it automatically sends it over and reboots so it works again.

You're being dramatic you know? If it's that hard for you to walk up the steps, perhaps exercising is in order or bring the system upstairs? Keep in mind as these roll out eventually the newer units will have the completed firmware and application software on them as they won't keep shipping the base software. It's just a weird moment now where some have it, and a lot don't due to the soft launch.

Thing is since I agreed on this thing to help beta test it I'm getting it far worse than most. I've had multiple save games erased in the name of testing and have put a few more test revisions on my system as well for better or worse. Thankfully my system and laptop which is anchored to my work desk at 10ft apart, but still I realize in time probably a month or two it will all be ironed out and smooth sailing and when it's there those updates will be put to the systems before they hit retail so even those who have no brain of their own or are too lazy will be able to enjoy the cheat system and the upgrades to the software.
    Grabs for the

This is comedy gold guys. Keep it coming!

Trollollollo...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stardust4ever View Post
    Grabs for the

This is comedy gold guys. Keep it coming!

Trollollollo...
    Like you've done better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Just put him on ignore like many of us already have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Game Sack review of the retron 5.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y13r4LCbARw

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gatucaman View Post
    Like you've done better.
    For the record, I meant comedy gold as in watching the thing fail, and realizing I dodged a bullet by cancelling my preorder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Just put him on ignore like many of us already have.
    But then you wouldn't be able to fully appreciate my twisted sense of humour...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by stardust4ever View Post
    For the record, I meant comedy gold as in watching the thing fail, and realizing I dodged a bullet by cancelling my preorder.But then you wouldn't be able to fully appreciate my twisted sense of humour...
    You know what else is comedy gold? Someone buying an Atari 7800 just to play a compilation cart of glitched out games. That's hilarious. Have any popcorn to eat while watching that gem unfold?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I must be slightly biased toward Hyperkin. I don't know why; I've never bought anything from them before and I have no skin in the game. I guess I'd just rather buy something from a small gaming company that's trying to keep retro gaming alive. But after every single review, Satoshi was right. It really seems like it's better to buy an Ouya and sideload some ROMs onto it.

My use case for this would be to stay in the living room hooked up to my HDTV, while my real consoles, carts, and everdrives live in the game room. Unless/Until someone hacks this thing and lets it run ROMs off the SD storage, this device is just not for me or anyone else who doesn't keep an HDTV in their game room.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I said the Ouya is the better option for some people, not overall. It's certainly got more going for it than the RetroN5, but Hyperkin does continue to improve.