Page 58 of 76 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 1502

Thread: RetroN5: Hands on first look

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That sucks. I wonder when they'll start placing better firmware on it because the tech was told this would be done and has shared that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

HELLLLLLLLLLPPPPPP!!!!!!!

I followed the directions on page 15 of the manual to update using an SD card.

After i put the card back into the system and attempted to update, the following
    message came up on my TV screen.

"This version of the retron application (ver. 1.5) requires system firmware v 0.2.2 or above."

"you are currently running system firmware v. 0.2.1, please update."

Now the system is locked into this spot. No buttons work and even when i turn it off and back
    on it still shows this screen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It's not locked. They foolishly setup their instructions backwards. Just go to the website, put the 0.22 system firmware on there, and then just put the SD card into the system on the "locked up" screen and it will put that on there and you'll be fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    It's not locked. They foolishly setup their instructions backwards. Just go to the website, put the 0.22 system firmware on there, and then just put the SD card into the system on the "locked up" screen and it will put that on there and you'll be fine.

That did the trick. Thank you very much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

TEST Build time! This one specifically at the least addresses the problem of the SRAM/FeRAM issue with the GBA. "Here's a test build which will hopefully fix the save issue once and for all. Please beware that at this stage we have not confirmed anything, so ONLY use with games where you dont mind if the save is lost! I really hope that we've nailed it this time.."

http://retron5.in/?src=19ca14e7ea6328a42e0eb13d585e4c22

"Also if you are aware of anyone else in the same position as yourself, having experienced erased saves and would likely be willing to help test this, please feel free to forward it on."

That's the file and the direct quote, not sure what else could have been touched or not, guess that will be up to experimentation since it's not listed on the link provided, only that it's a private test build.

I have not loaded this myself at this time. I'm still on the clock for another 90min, but I may just set it up while I'm working to save time. Also, if anyone is having any graphical errors with GBA games please let me know. GTA has one they didn't see on their end, maybe they don't have the game, so I'll be taking a screen cap and sending him that once I can. If you have something, please add it to the thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

is there a change log for this build?
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

No, sorry I got nothing other than that. I'm sure there's more since it has been a couple weeks, but I couldn't say what, though internally it does have a new version of 1.51.

Also, if anyone has tried this, did you ever have a case where you stuffed a GBA game into the R5 to have it erased by doing just that? If so, is it still happening using this test?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I got a new preview update if anyone is interested.
    http://retron5.in/?src=a5bfc9e07964f8dddeb95fc584cd965d

From the tech:
    here's a preview of the upcoming v1.6 build. It includes the GBA save fix as well as a bunch of other stability improvements. Providing no issues are found, this build will be released to the public within the next few days

From the link:
    Changes in this release include:
    Improvements to cartridge save access stability
    SNES mouse handling improved (fixes Jurassic Park)
    Other miscellaneous under the hood improvements

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you !!!
    http://www.retrogaming.com.ar/

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Is there a list anywhere of "normal" retail releases that this doesn't support yet?

This thread is huge and many specific game issues mentioned by posters (myself included) have been rectified through updates. I've got a handful of regular US retail released games that have issues that don't appear when using them on a console other than the RetroN5, but I don't have multiple copies, so I can't determine if the console is just picky with my copy or has issues with the title across the board.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well I don't know of one, never have googled to see if someone bothered ever with it.

I will say this much of the games I've thrown at it well enough to know better, Grand Theft Auto (GBA) has a problem that only occurs after playing for a little while where the screen visuals on the lower half of the screen (slowly working north) starts to tear (move at a different rate) with the 3D map/background but not on the sprites, it's like bad buggy mirroring effect on a NES game in an early emulator.

Maybe we could start a list and it'll get around.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For Famicom Fantasy Zone II doesn't work

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I exited the pissing contest part of this a few pages ago, but I gotta ask....

Quote Originally Posted by mercuryshadow09 View Post
    Tread lightly friend, I got verbally eviscerated for asking the same question, blocked and treated like a troll, and most certainly don't ask if you are talking to teenagers!
    ....you don't really think that's how or why it happened, right? 80% of your posts are snide comments and pot shots at other users. You didn't get (initially) tossed on ignore and called a troll because you asked a question. Those things happened because you are continually a condescending prick and a few of us had finally had enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Prick or not, BIG UPDATE here for current users fed up with the LONG wait time surrounding the time it takes for the system to load carts into the systems drive/memory when you slide it in. That promised fix the main tech I've been talking to had been working on now is in a private (for here) beta.

Here's the post from him, link follows!:
    Finally - here's the "fast cartridge loading" BETA. Feel free to provide this to those that wish to test. Its going to go live as a public BETA soon but I wanted to give a few people the chance to test it in private first, just in case I've missed anything obvious

http://retron5.in/?src=a5771bce93e200c36f7cd9dfd0e5deaa
    (From the link: This release includes everything from v1.6, with the addition of the "fast cartridge loading" feature which allows near instant playback of supported cartridges, even large 32MB games. Currently GBA, SNES and Genesis cartridge are supported. Fast cartridge loading may be toggled on and off via the Settings screen.)

Hey this was NOT mentioned in the 1.6 update but the tech redid the entire GBA database on the private 1.6 build I posted the other day, and along with that improvements to the save type detection on the GBA as well. My trouble games of the eng-translated Dragon Quest Monsters, and my homebrew from Team17 Qwak! for GBA both now detect 100% on the menu and the save file correctly as well (before it was unknown, save corrupt.) I asked the tech, says Mother 3 is fixed too.
    Last edited by Tanooki; 08-13-2014 at 12:54 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Prick or not, BIG UPDATE here for current users fed up with the LONG wait time surrounding the time it takes for the system to load carts into the systems drive/memory when you slide it in. That promised fix the main tech I've been talking to had been working on now is in a private (for here) beta.

Here's the post from him, link follows!:
    Finally - here's the "fast cartridge loading" BETA. Feel free to provide this to those that wish to test. Its going to go live as a public BETA soon but I wanted to give a few people the chance to test it in private first, just in case I've missed anything obvious

http://retron5.in/?src=a5771bce93e200c36f7cd9dfd0e5deaa
    (From the link: This release includes everything from v1.6, with the addition of the "fast cartridge loading" feature which allows near instant playback of supported cartridges, even large 32MB games. Currently GBA, SNES and Genesis cartridge are supported. Fast cartridge loading may be toggled on and off via the Settings screen.)

Hey this was NOT mentioned in the 1.6 update but the tech redid the entire GBA database on the private 1.6 build I posted the other day, and along with that improvements to the save type detection on the GBA as well. My trouble games of the eng-translated Dragon Quest Monsters, and my homebrew from Team17 Qwak! for GBA both now detect 100% on the menu and the save file correctly as well (before it was unknown, save corrupt.) I asked the tech, says Mother 3 is fixed too.
    Thanks for the update Tanooki! I didn't really notice a difference it the dump times to the R5. I tried a few carts but it seemed the same to me. This update fixed the loading loop I would get with two of my repro carts but they still don't play. The screen goes black with 3 to 5 red lines scrolling down. I guess it will be fixed eventually when they add more repro compatibility.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That's odd. All the GBA games I had time to throw at it (5) before my kid got up from nap loaded incredibly faster. It should be also active on the SNES, Genesis too.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyone have any news about an update to the cheat database? It's been at 1.1 for a while now.
    High Voltage Rock 'N' Roll
    Ride On

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mother 3 repro plays but still comes up as unknown cartridge

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Nice update, looks like they implemented some type of preloading cache system for some games now with instant load times. Not sure what determines what game does or doesn't do that, there's a yellow pill shaped loading bar in the upper right that fills as its dumped but you can begin those games prior to dump completion. For some reason it makes you wait until the dump is complete before accessing the code screen though.

I noticed pretty much every GBA pirate I own (barring those with scene group intros) are now recognized properly. Some would even dump the save even they've been altered to use SRAM instead of other save methods, others altered the same way either would be treated as if they had no save or an "error importing save" message came up.

Nice to see this thing keep getting better. Now implement that instant power on in an officially released update, dammit!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

About 6 hours ago they made that 2.0b1 release I listed and the quick start (0.5sec boot when pressing power) patch as well to the public just through facebook. It's nice to see that.

You're right about the yellow pill. Basically my understanding is that through the database the system will know what the game is, and it will first load the parts of the ROM needed to cause the game to boot up initially or from a hot save that already exists, and from that point it rapidly will load the rest of the ROM In a much faster rate than how it did previously. So it's both a massive speed up in dumping the game but also in loading it into activity as it still downloads it too which is fantastic.

My 1 of 300 copy of Qwak for GBA is finally detected by name and works right saving and all, same with my English translated on a legit aftermarket cart DQM Caravan Heart too which is great.