Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 1502

Thread: RetroN5: Hands on first look

Cherry (Level 1) Eternal Champion's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    This is gonna be fun! I can finally pull my. Blaster Master cart out and play it to completion!
    This is something that makes me think about the Retron5 - I assume it allows you to create save states with the ROMs. I have Blaster Master, Bionic Commando, Rygar, my favorite games, but I rarely play them because of adult life - can only play for short spurts at a time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Gameguy... too cheap? I have no idea. I'd dump their asses and get another part supplier too considering the lost business I think would outweigh tolerating this junk.

YoshiM that's been my entire feel on the pro-con of it over Ouya and how it feels when the games actually work in it too which is why I like the thing.

Satoshi - That's lq2x (low quality 2x and hq is high quality)...I know calling any of those filters high or quality is a joke, but that's what that is. I never liked them on the computer, don't like them on the TV with the R5 either as they're just muddy or blurry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Champion View Post
    This is something that makes me think about the Retron5 - I assume it allows you to create save states with the ROMs. I have Blaster Master, Bionic Commando, Rygar, my favorite games, but I rarely play them because of adult life - can only play for short spurts at a time.
    I'm thinking so as when you bring up the Home menu in game is shows save slots. It also auto saves where you left off so when you play again you continue.

Going back to the "physicalness" of the Retron, I think another way to look at it is that having all of these ROMs lessens the perception of value. Of course this is totally subjective, mind you, but having all of these games as files feels "cheap" when I grew up during a time when games came far and few and even when I could afford to rent a ton of games over a summer, each one seemed like a prize. Then there's that tactile sense of holding a cart and looking a the art or perhaps the cartridge looks different. I hardly have any boxes but I do have manuals and that just adds to the experience.

I just picked up "Dolucky A League Soccer" for the kids (it's soccer with animals and the animation is smooth and cute) and Super Air Diver from a local shop. Can't wait to try those out (gotta find a SNES controller in the future).

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    To insert a cartridge and then use the original controller, the one I've used for over twenty years-feels great. The ceremony is something that cannot be imitated by digital.
    I have a USB to Sega Genesis adapter I tried on the Ouya. While the adapter does work, it doesn't work on all games/programs and you're still forced to use the stock Ouya controller to navigate the menus.

While I enjoy the system I absolutely hate the Ouya controller. It takes spells at random where it has a huge delay, I'm talking 5-10 seconds, so bad that you can't even navigate the frontend much less play a game. I've got alternative controllers to use (PS3, Wii, the above mentioned adapter) but you are still forced to lug out the original Ouya controller and fool with it just to get a game started. That is a huge drawback and makes me not even want to bother with playing the system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Part 3 is now live.

Come explore the Famicom, from games like Mario 3 to technical gems like Lagrange Point and JustBreed, all in glorious 720p.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g82J_dvwIWY
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hey the vaus controller doesn't work on the R5 as support isn't there for it as they never added it. Also on real hardware, vaus will not work on arkanoid 2, cheapo taito redid it so they could sell 2 vaus controllers (one for each game) which is sleazy. Those multicarts, most wont' work, they need to get the mapper data to add the specific code needed for each. The only reason the supervision 115in1 I have works is that I dug it up and sent them the information so I know multis can work.

I own these famicom games below, they all work 100% correctly in audio, visuals, and gameplay (flow/control.)
    - Akumajyou Densetsu (Castlevania III)
    - Armadillo
    - Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa ("Baby Mario" - Famiclone)
    - Choujikuu Yousai - Macross (Super Dimension Fortress Macross)
    - Crisis Force (CI)
    - Daiku no Gen San (Hammerin' Harry)
    - Joy Mech Fight
    - Kyattou Ninden Teyandee (Samurai Pizza Cats)
    - Mitsume ga Tooru (Three Eyed One)
    - Moon Crystal (Famiclone)
    - Parodius Da!
    - Splatterhouse Wanpaku Graffiti
    - Super Mario Bros. 2 ("Golden Mario" - Famiclone)
    - Twinbee
    - Twinbee 3: Poko Poko Dai Maou (The Great Demon King Poko Poko)
    - Wai Wai World 2: SOS!! Paseri Jou (SOS!! Parsley Castle)
    - (The) Wing of Madoola
    - Yume Penguin Monogatari (Story of the Dream Penguin)

You'll see a good few of those use most of the Konami VRC chips as well as a Namco and Sunsoft chip game in there too.
    Last edited by Tanooki; 10-01-2014 at 07:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I own most of those too. The reason I didn't cover them was simply because most of them are using common uninteresting mappers, mostly mapper 4. Once one mapper 4 game works then they all will since it's so universal.

I wanted to cover some of the more oddball mappers while also avoiding games that would set off the damn copyright claim bots. Also, a bunch of Famicom games I've converted to 72 pin versions or made reproductions of.

Speaking of which.

Part 4.

Now you're playing with power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__lNZJFUVhk

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, the Retron 5 MSRP just went up $20. Hope everyone who really wanted one got it when it was $140.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

eh? do you have a source on that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hey Battle Kid 2 I think uses that newer chipset/board retrozone cooked up where it writes back to the chip so I have my doubts that game or Study Hall will ever run on the R5. I sold it fairly recently but Micro Machines DOES work on the R5 unless they killed support on accident in v2.0beta any version. I also had Firehawk and Mig29 that worked too.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Quote Originally Posted by nusilver View Post
    So, the Retron 5 MSRP just went up $20. Hope everyone who really wanted one got it when it was $140.
    Wait! Up?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

So yesterday, Hyperkin emailed retailers who carry it the following:

Hello,

The RetroN 5 has been the most ambitious project Hyperkin has ever undertaken, both on the software and hardware end. Hyperkin has committed to keep releasing firmware updates to make the user experience more enjoyable. We have also begun adding higher quality components to improve the RetroN'5s build quality. The demand for the Retron 5 has exceeded our expectations and as a result, plans have been made to increase production.

Due to the reasons above, Hyperkin will change the MSRP of the RetroN 5 to $159.99. This price revision will result in a higher profit margin for every RetroN 5 sold from retailers.

Thank you for being a part of the RetroN 5's success. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind regards,
    Hyperkin

So it looks like Hyperkin is making a second production run using higher quality components and adjusting the MSRP to ensure the same profit margin while increasing the quality .

This probably isn't the best idea since most consumers who don't own a Retron5 are either
    a) waiting for a price drop and not a price increase or/and
    b) already anti Hyperkin.

this isn't going to do anything but add fuel to the trolls who already hate on Hyperkin. Those of us who already have a Retron5 will be of course, unaffected, but man is this one weird decision.

In any case, my role is still just going to be to talk about the system itself, and its strengths and weakness. Nothing else. The rest of the politics Hyperkin needs to sort out themselves and I want nothing to do with that.
    Last edited by Satoshi_Matrix; 10-02-2014 at 06:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Bad decision and bad timing for such a decision considering the recent developments regarding the emulators and frankly, those of us with problems with the R5 and Hyperkin are not necessarily "trolls". Such a stupid term to throw around when someone disagrees with you.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The price increase seems realistic to me. It's a better piece of hardware than I imagined and I did not hesitate at $139.99, or wouldn't of had I not gotten an open box deal. I hope the have improved the how tough removing cartridges is, and hopefully will have a permanent fix for the time it takes to turn on, and not an 'at your own risk' fix.

Anyways...if the developers are listening...

Is it plausible to have a cartridge adapter for older systems (Atari 7800/2600)? The emulation and hardware requirement ( to an illiterate like myself ), do not appear to be substantial considering what you have already accomplished with the Retron 5. I imagine the financial component may not be there -- but there is that SMS adapter so why not? Game Gear adapter?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I really question the part quality increase as a reason to jack it up that much or at all. I think as I said, they're gearing up for some lawyer hours on payroll.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Atarileaf View Post
    those of us with problems with the R5 and Hyperkin are not necessarily "trolls". Such a stupid term to throw around when someone disagrees with you.
    sorry, I wasn't referring to people such as you. "Trolls" being those who dislike Hyperkin for the sake of disliking Hyperkin. The people who are automatic naysayers without valid reasons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Okie dokie, part 5 is now up:

This time the coverage is the SNES and Super Famicom. If you have the eternal save set to the SD card, it makes certain games virtually unplayable. Simply switching to use the internal storage solves these issues. This caused me to record this twice, once before I realized this and here the revised final version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLVfz7HCkwA

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

It's just getting hilarious now.

The RetroN 5 has been the most ambitious project Hyperkin has ever undertaken, both on the software and hardware end.
    Does the software end include the stuff they stole?

Hyperkin has committed to keep releasing firmware updates to make the user experience more enjoyable.
    They pretty much have to as it was released unfinished, it's only getting usable now.

We have also begun adding higher quality components to improve the RetroN'5s build quality.
    "We're tired of having to replace defective units."

The demand for the Retron 5 has exceeded our expectations and as a result, plans have been made to increase production.
    As everyone knows the more units being manufactured, the higher the cost is for each unit. You'd think it's the opposite as with buying more in bulk, but you'd be wrong.

This price revision will result in a higher profit margin for every RetroN 5 sold from retailers.
    "We're increasing the cost per unit to profit more off of you." It's not often companies are so honest with their customers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

that was obviously written by hyperkin's head of sales and marketing. The only thing that is "hilarious" is you taking such a pr statement at face value. most of that is marketing jargon. the only thing thing that should be taken away from their entire statement was "Due to.... higher.... build quality.... change the MSRP ...to $159.99". Everything else they said is marketing jargon that should go in one ear and out the other.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Usually game consoles are released using high quality parts and then as time passes there are price drops accompanied by a new slim version using smaller cases and perhaps cheaper parts. When you go in the opposite direction, you get the feeling they admit to using cheap parts from the beginning which does seem to be legitimized by those reviews I've seen that mention the cheap and flimsy feel of the plastic and controllers.

Raising the price is a dicey move, it was already overpriced at $140 IMO. I'll be interested however to see exactly what the extra $20 supposedly buys you.