Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Wii Mini? Why?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Why Wii Mini? Why?

Why nintendo had to remove the SD card and the option to connect to the internet and use virtual console, i can understand them not wanting people to download the home-brew channel and soft mod the console, but did they really had to go the extra mile to disable internet connection?, i really wanted a Wii so i can download some nice VC titles before Nintendo in their "infinite wisdom" decides to remove the Wii Classic VC and just have support for the Wii U.

I read everywhere that you cant do emulation on the machine either, since almost everything that is related to it needs the use of SD cards.

I am sad since this was a gift from my sister.

Pd: I am not sure if this is the right place in the forums to discuss about this, well at the very least i can enjoy retail titles now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Just trade it in for a regular wii with gamecube controller ports. gamecube+wii+homebrew channel= nintendo heaven. Also wii mini lacks 480p support, only composite cables work with it (why nintendo why?!?)
    Last edited by PreZZ; 01-12-2014 at 09:38 PM.

Cherry (Level 1) CastlevaniaDude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    (why nintendo why?!?)
    Um, because it's cheaper to produce and the idea of re-releasing a console towards end of life is to make it a budget console?
    Adult Podcast for Kids
    Weekly geek podcast. Everything from movies to tv, comics to video games, pro wrestling, entertainment, and beyond, with a decidedly adult slant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CastlevaniaDude View Post
    Um, because it's cheaper to produce and the idea of re-releasing a console towards end of life is to make it a budget console?
    Exactly. It's like when Sony started removing things from the Playstation towards the end of it's cycle as well. Same with the Gamecube also. Smaller and more compact with less features making it just a console that plays only it's games isn't a horrid thing per say. If you want a Wii with all the bells and whistles, it's not like they are that hard to find or overly expensive either.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

my only real complaint with the wii mini is the loss of 480p... why the hell was that an approved change.
    COMPLETED MY USA SMS SET!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by bigbacon View Post
    my only real complaint with the wii mini is the loss of 480p... why the hell was that an approved change.
    for the same reason as:
    -Why Nintendo removed Composite video output from the NES-101 "toploader" even though its Japanese counterpart had it leaving it RF only.
    -Why Nintendo removed S-Video and RGB from the SNES Jr.
    -Why Nintendo removed even the possibly of RGB through modding in N64's with colored shells.
    -Why Nintendo removed Component from the GameCube in later revisions.

Nintendo has a long history of removing higher quality video functions from their consoles through revisions. The Wii mini is just the latest example. I wouldn't be surprised if eventually when the WiiU hits budget price Nintendo will do something like remove HDMI.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If Nintendo drops anything, it would be the old multiout port. HDMI is the modern standard just as composite used to be. S-Video and component never were.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 06-27-2014 at 05:43 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

the moral of the story is to always buy early versions of any console. The final ones are always cut reduced and inferior in some way, without exception.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    for the same reason as:
    -Why Nintendo removed Composite video output from the NES-101 "toploader" even though its Japanese counterpart had it leaving it RF only.
    -Why Nintendo removed S-Video and RGB from the SNES Jr.
    -Why Nintendo removed even the possibly of RGB through modding in N64's with colored shells.
    -Why Nintendo removed Component from the GameCube in later revisions.

Nintendo has a long history of removing higher quality video functions from their consoles through revisions. The Wii mini is just the latest example. I wouldn't be surprised if eventually when the WiiU hits budget price Nintendo will do something like remove HDMI.
    Not to mention virtually every other console manufacturer. I'm looking a you, disgusting Foreman Grill looking PS3 "super slim". Ick.

the moral of the story is to always buy early versions of any console. The final ones are always cut reduced and inferior in some way, without exception.
    Was anything cut from the later model 360 systems? If not, DEFINITELY go with a newer model (as if that's news to anyone). I know they actually ADDED features such as out of the box wifi.
    Last edited by wiggyx; 01-13-2014 at 03:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    Was anything cut from the later model 360 systems? If not, DEFINITELY go with a newer model (as if that's news to anyone). I know they actually ADDED features such as out of the box wifi.
    the 360 might be the only exception outside of perhaps the slim PS2 which was a general improvement in every way.

The later 360's remove the memory card slots, support for the original harddrives, and are much tougher to mod. On the other hand, they are much less likely to red ring, and yes, they have wifi.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Actually I wouldn't say getting a very early revision is good either. You pretty much have to time it right and hit the sweet spot. When the system is a year or two old, usually the revision is close enough to the original to retain all the features, but it is a later manufactured piece with some of the very early bugs worked out. Xbox 360 3 years later? Still fat, more reliable chipset. PS3 1 year later? Same 60GB model on shelf $100 less.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Was anything cut from the later model 360 systems?
    The 360 E (the newest version that just came out recently) removed the multi A/V out port, replacing it with a totally different one that only supports composite, so you can't use component or VGA cables on these.

But unlike the Wii mini you can still use something other than composite since there's still HDMI (which wasn't even supported on 360 until the Elite came out).

I would definitely look for a 360 S (aka slim) over an E if I was in the market for one. Really anything from the last model pre-slim (jasper mobo) over an E.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

The Mini is not meant for hardcore gamers, neither is the 360 E. They're like the Majesco Genesis Model 3. Given the overwhelming number of regular Wii's, 360 Slim's, etc available (used) just go with one of those. I see nothing wrong with companies selling these stripped down versions, because it makes no sense for them to loose money on systems they are putting out to pasture. The 360 E is still full functioned and has HDMI so most people are set.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man, I'm so out of the loop that I didn't even know that there was a 3rd 360 model !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Who the hell uses composite cables in 2013 on their hdtv set? component is just the strict minimum now for a game console, even a cheaper revision, I would be surprised if it would even cost a dollar to nintendo implementing it. and they make money on the cable anyway since it's not packed in!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

In the case of the Wii, I don't see that as an issue. I normally see used Wii's going for around $50 at flea markets, I can't imagine this new mini system is going to top that. People only buy them for piracy and emulation anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

the value of the bundle is not bad, for 99$ you get a nunchuk and a wiimote with the console and mariokart. I can live without the usb and no wifi, but the composite only is bullshit. Buying a new wiimote plus nunchuk (nintendo brand) is 70$, so for 30$ more you get a wii and mariokart! Nintendo needs to lower the price of wiimotes and nunchuks, it's crazy. if you buy 4 to play nintendoland with your new wii u, add 280$ !!! nunchuks should be bundled with wiimotes too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The later 360's remove the memory card slots, support for the original harddrives, and are much tougher to mod. On the other hand, they are much less likely to red ring, and yes, they have wifi.
    The hard drives are still compatible, you just have to remove them from their shell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    In the case of the Wii, I don't see that as an issue. I normally see used Wii's going for around $50 at flea markets, I can't imagine this new mini system is going to top that. People only buy them for piracy and emulation anyway.
    That's confusing the used market with the retail. The Canadian exclusive red Wii Mini sells for $99, which while is double the price of what you claim you see used Wiis sell for at flea markets, that isn't where your average ultra casual mother would buy a Wii for little jimmy.

I had thought for a split second of buying a Wii Mini because I believe there could be a chance it will become a rare item and shoot up in price in years to come similar to how prices are much higher for the NES-101, but I think I remember hearing that the Wii mini came to the US recently, which kills its rarity.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

That's confusing the used market with the retail.
    It's confusing people who have access to the internet and understand how to get things cheap with people who don't.