Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
Oh man, Doom. I got that Collector's Edition set back in the olden days when you could find it for $10 at Wal-Mart... I wound up ditching the bonus Doom3 preview (which was nothing but movies and such) and replacing it with a burned CD of WADs and source ports.

Oh, you might love this: The Best 100 WADs of All Time, ten per year, and it includes links (it mentions that Aliens TC, too).

I have Duke Nukem 3D, twice actually--both the original release (which included full versions of the original side-scroller Duke Nukem games) and the Atomic Edition, which I happened to find in a flea market. Spear of Destiny should be coming in the mail soon, as should Rise of the Triad (I've heard the remake of that which just came out is surprisingly faithful to the original). For me though, Doom (including its expansions and games which use the same engine, such as Heretic and Hexen) is pretty much the FPS to end all FPSes, because they were never that good again. I mean, the Build Engine games are good fun but they feel like they lack the frenetic pace and general immediacy of Doom and seem more about exploration, which has its own charm but just isn't my thing. Although throwing a stick of dynamite into a mob of cultists never gets old.
Yeah, that's what I hear the Build games are all about. Duke Nukem 3D was alright (beat it for the first time last year) but I popped in Doom 2 and played Suburbs and there was no comparison. Much better action, weapons and enemies in both Dooms.