Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default Random Game O' the Day: Mr. Do!'s Castle

The DP Random Game Generator has awakened to produce Mr. Do!'s Castle for our daily discussion.

This was the second in the coin-op series, and Parker Bros. brought the game home on several consoles (2600, 5200, and ColecoVision are listed here). What did you think of this game in general? How does it compare to others in the series? Are you any good at it? If so, share your tips! And even if you SUCK at it as I do, share your thoughts on the game here.

DP Guide sez:

Mr. Do!'s Castle (Atari 2600, by Parker Bros) $75/R7
    Based on the 1983 Universal coin-op. Developed by Coleco. Parker Bros. is only responsible for the packaging and production of this game. #PB5820.

Mr. Do!'s Castle (Atari 5200, by Parker Bros) $35/R6
    Based on the 1983 Universal coin-op. Even though Mr. Do! never appeared on the 5200, this sequel did! Very similar to the Atari 8-bit computer version. Another tough box to locate. SANTULLI SLANT: It would be hard to classify this as a maze game or even a platform game, although there are elements of both in this coin-op conversion. Bop tiles on the castle floor and hopefully knock out the attacking unicorns. You can also hammer them through the floor, and there's a bonus waiting at the top of the screen that lets you - in Pac-Man fashion - turn the tides on the baddies. [Gr: 8, So: 8, Ga: 9, Ov: 8]

Mr. Do!'s Castle (ColecoVision, by Parker Bros) $35/R6 +
    Based on the 1983 Universal coin-op. EASTER EGGS: Mr. Do can fall onto the last unicorn on the board if it is stuck in a hole, and not lose a life. c1984 Universal, Parker Bros. #9820.

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Stupendously awesome game. Love it.

Mr. Do! has the enviable ability to turn up in a wide variety of sequels that all stand well on their own, despite being very different from one another.

In Do!s Castle, we're given a near-Tex Avery sized mallet for smiting our enemies and unleashing diamonds from the blocks. I must have spent a bazillion hours (give or take) playing this one at Chuck E. Cheese, and then another bazillion or so hours playing it on the ColecoVision.

Everything in the game is well done - art, music, sounds, difficulty ramping, etc. With the mighty "EXTRA" bonus and hidden diamonds to find, Mr. Do!s Castle holds up very, very well to this day. Stellar game.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always loved this on my 2600 - good messy unicorn-smooshin' fun, and they at least attempted to include the original music!

Then I loaned a bunch of 2600 carts to my nephew and never saw them again. Later learned they'd been sold in a GARAGE SALE! The carts I loaned out included Q*Bert's Qubes, Mr. Do's Castle, Gyruss, Star Wars: The Arcade Game......the list goes ON and ON. Bunch of stuff that's now high on the ol' rarity list.

Then I happened upon both QQ and MDC at a yard sale a few months ago - and lo and behold, the permanent marker hadn't faded from the back, they were my original carts.

And lo and behold, they'd been stored in an area of someone's house that flooded semi-frequently, and no longer worked.

I coulda just wept.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I found the 2600 version in the wild, but that bastard Christian Scott swiped it out of the pile, paid $2, and then walked away. What a jerk...

-Todd

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Of all the Mr. DO's this one is the best. The simple combination of the mallet, ladders and blocks appeals greatly. The movement of the ladders back in forth add a greater dimension to the linear platform genre. I downloaded the Mame Rom recently only to discover I was still not very good at it. But the glorious frustration. Which port of the game do people prefer?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This game holds a certain mystique for a particular reason. I saw it one day in the Sears catalog and asked my mom for it (the 5200 version). Sure enough I got it for Christmas along with a bunch of other carts, but Mr. Do's castle didn't work! The thing just wouldn't start up, and when I shook the cartridge I could hear something rattling inside so I'm sure it was some broken piece that caused it. I don't know why, but I just forgot about it and went on to other games. I guess in retrospect we should've complained to Sears but it was really hard doing that at the time when I was 7000 miles away from the nearest one. Not to mention I was a kid anyway :P

So with that experience, TO THIS DAY I have yet to figure out Mr. Do's Castle. I can't start it up without getting remembering and getting depressed about my broken cart and not wanting to deal with it. What do you do in the game anyway? It's weird!

Incidentally I still have the cart, broken and all, in it's nice and minty box. (none of my other 5200 carts still have their boxes)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NE146
    What do you do in the game anyway? It's weird!
    Goal is to clear each round by A) wiping out all the unicorns; B) knocking out all the cherry blocks; C) completing EXTRA bonus; or D) finding a diamond.

When you knock out all of the key blocks, the door at the top of the screen opens. If you grab the icon in the open door, all the unicorns become EXTRA letters for a short time. The amount of time they remain EXTRA letters is determined partially by how long it takes you to get to the door after opening it. The longer it takes to get to the door, the shorter the unicorns stay EXTRA letters.

Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

The ColecoVision version is great, although too easy. The graphics are terrific; if only the graphics in the ColecoVision version of Mr. Do! was as good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I always used to play the 5200 version on my Atari computer, and always loved it. That's certainly one of the best coin-op conversions for that console. Mr. Do's Castle was always my favorite of the series, and even though the game owes a great debt to Space Panic, it's loaded with unique charm.

Now I wonder why the other two Mr. Do games were never brought home?
    Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, animation, and the movies
    Daniel Thomas Vol 4 - Video games, music, and my musings

Video Game Fanzines Forever!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

(swoon)
    I love this game! It's the best one in the series and a good sight better than its inspiration, Space Panic.

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Did Mr. Do's Castle have diamonds? I never saw any.

The C64 version is very good, anyway. I'm amazed they tried to port it to the 2600.
    ________
    Amitron
    Last edited by J'orfeaux; 04-01-2011 at 05:44 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho

The C64 version is very good, anyway. I'm amazed they tried to port it to the 2600.
    Yes, there are diamonds hidden in Mr. Do!s Castle that award a free game. I actually found several while playing in the arcade back in the day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If it's anything like Mr. Do! you'll be lucky if you see the diamond. I've played Mr. Do! MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY times throughout my life (I knew the 255 lives trick as a kid even).. and let me tell you, I've seen the diamond ONCE. :P

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho

Yes indeed! The commodore 64 version is great! I still enjoy playing it when I can!

Danny

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

EVERY Mr. Do! game has a diamond in it, except possibly NEO Mr. Do!. You'll even find one in Do! Run Run if you can highlight enough territory in one run (it may also be random; I'm not sure how it works but I'm sure I've seen it).
    Anyway, Mr. Do!'s Castle really isn't that tough a game... I remember a laundromat employee in Coldwater who had gotten extremely good at playing it, and she didn't look like the gaming type. Heck, even I'm not bad at the game, although it helps that I've spent countless hours with the ColecoVision version. You just have to find high ground and cover your tracks wherever you go... leave a trail of gaps behind you to slow the unicorns' progress.

JR

P.S. Why'd they pick unicorns as an enemy, anyway? It's the last mythological beastie you'd think as being dangerous.
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

So where are the diamonds in Castle, then? Do they appear out of nowhere when you hit a block, or what?
    ________
    N02 Vaporizer
    Last edited by J'orfeaux; 04-01-2011 at 05:45 AM.