Thread: Might & Magic X: Legacy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Might & Magic X: Legacy

So I picked this game up on a whim when it was on sale for less then $20 in a Steam sale over the weekend. I've never played and M&M game before, but became inquired when I found out it was a first-person dungeon crawler. I've been a bit hung up on the genre ever since I discovered Shin Megami Tensei last year, and decided to get a taste of how a western developer handles it.

I'm really glad I did, M&MX is a throwback, but one that knows its a throwback. But without being a relic. It's pretty clear, based on its graphics and presentation that this is not a 'triple A' game. But I think it's made the better for it. For one thing it's only $25 as a new release, which makes taking a shot at it less of a financial burden. For second the game feels really tightly designed, with minimal bloat. Which is refreshing. Not quite an indie game, not quite a AAA title. I think this particular level of production is far more realistic for the future of game development. If companies like Irrational Games can't survive in this environment... Something's got to change.

Anyway... I did feel that M&MX did lack a bit in the character customization department at game start. Though since you never really see your characters it doesn't matter, all the customization is in their stats and skills. One thing I didn't care for were classes tied to races, you can't mix and match very much, though there is some overlap.

At any rate, I'm liking the game a lot. I'd love to see it ported to iPad or 3DS. I think it'd be comfortable on either. Anyone else having fun with it?
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

There's a Might and Magic X?!?! When did THAT happen?

The NES version of the original Might and Magic: Secret of the Inner Sanctum is one of my favorite RPGs of all time. I own most of the series on PC (I think the only one I don't own is M&M9) and have beaten the first two (but only the console ports). They're all good games, though I didn't like how part two was so full of eighties references. I liked part one because you could take it seriously. Apparently the later games went back to being more serious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    There's a Might and Magic X?!?! When did THAT happen?
    January 2014. There hadn't been a new mainline M&M game since 2002 apparently.

X takes things pretty seriously.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12