Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A "Holy Grail of Nintendo," the Sharp/TV NES combo set?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yes if you tear apart the two components the TV top from the control deck bottom there's this rectangle hole molded there with a pair of wires that go between the two. That wire sends the video feed on one and the audio on the other I imagine to the motherboard on the TV side so it does its thing when the NES is turned on. Visually it doesn't blur like RF does when screwed into a TV, I guess it's as sharp as a non-bleeding RCA connection. The screen on all of them is 19" and it's rounded, not flat as it came before TVs started going that way.

If magazines did that that's cool, I never really looked into it. I just looked at some old game magazines and the coloring on the sharp seemed to align pretty well compared to a normal TV so maybe it's just tweaked to be that way.

LA (not the city, but the state next to Texas)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Yes if you tear apart the two components the TV top from the control deck bottom there's this rectangle hole molded there with a pair of wires that go between the two. That wire sends the video feed on one and the audio on the other I imagine to the motherboard on the TV side so it does its thing when the NES is turned on. Visually it doesn't blur like RF does when screwed into a TV, I guess it's as sharp as a non-bleeding RCA connection. The screen on all of them is 19" and it's rounded, not flat as it came before TVs started going that way.

If magazines did that that's cool, I never really looked into it. I just looked at some old game magazines and the coloring on the sharp seemed to align pretty well compared to a normal TV so maybe it's just tweaked to be that way.
    So if it's just AV composite then we can get that easily with any 90s or later CRT. Thanks for the clarity. I have a big Zenith faux woodgrain CRT in storage. I can't wait to use it when I get my own place even if it's RF only the scanlines for NES, Atari, etc on that thing are gorgeous. My mom bought it from a teacher friend before she retired and it's currently the nicest CRT we have, just too big for my current gaming setup (it's an old corner computer desk designed for CRT monitors which only holds 19 inches or so and too narrow for widescreen - I have an ASUS 23" LCD 1080p widescreen monitor on the top shelf for HD consoles).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Makes sense and you're right, it's nothing really special. The real thing with the TV is the honest to god rarity of the thing, not the faux rarity of a lot of these NES and SNES games people ask like $50+ for today that were mass printed. It was only made for 4 months and discontinued, but no surprise since it's an off the shelf 19" Sharp TV in a custom frame that screws into another custom frame with some flimsy feet and doors that house a classic NES deck inside it. You're paying for the plastic, the black controllers and remote, and for the cool factor for owning a Nintendo TV that once sold for $1200 few would pay up for that got discontinued fast.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by A.C. Sativa View Post
    $1,499? Why the hell would someone buy that? You could just buy an NES and a really nice TV for probably half that. Though I do remember hearing that because it's all hardwired together it has a really nice picture, and that a lot of game magazines used them to get the best photos. But still, 1,500 bucks? Fuck outta here...
    Lol...you could buy a NES and a great CRT TV for like $150 if you look hard enough

LA (not the city, but the state next to Texas)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If the MSRP was really $1500 when it released in 1990, then that was a rip off even when it was brand new. $100 for the NES deck and you could probably have bought a comparable TV new for $300 or a nicer one for $400. And it doesn't even look that nice; screw the 200% price markup...
    Last edited by stardust4ever; 11-16-2014 at 11:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The fact an undamaged one sells for like 1/2 the original retail price at this point in time is nuts enough.