Thread: video rental store memories

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default video rental store memories

friday and sat nights,i wud live and die by the rental store growin up ,its funny i never liked the games i had back then,i always wanted to rent games and stuff,the video store i went to had like a whole wrap around section of snes games,so i always found sumthin i liked ,i usually rented super black bass,(i purchased it resently) love this game ,and metroid and battletoads ,just to name a few,loved goin to the video store...so what are some games yall member renting growing up?

i do member renting lots of ps1 games,but i cant member any i did ,and my cousin and i use to go rent nes games when we stayed at my gparents house,i member we rented double dragon 2 alot,haha that was a fun 2 player game for nes
    Last edited by RoleyDre; 03-04-2014 at 08:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Same here. It was such an event for me when my mom would rent me a NES game. I picked games solely on the cover box or screenshots in the back, just like most kids did. That and having McDonalds on friday night was pure fun for me. waiting to get home I was so excited to pop that cartridge in. Even if the game did suck I never complained, just playing a new game was always fun. Now its whatever I can simply drive and go get a game or get one on EBay and look on all the reviews on it before I decide to buy. Man what difference 25 years make.
    Last edited by PizzaKat; 03-04-2014 at 10:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaKat View Post
    Same here. It was such an event for me when my mom would rent me a NES game. I picked games solely on the cover box or screenshots in the back, just like most kids did. That and having McDonalds on friday night was pure fun for me. waiting to get home I was so excited to pop that cartridge in. Even if the game did suck I never complained, just playing a new game was always fun. Now its whatever I can simply drive and go get a game or get one on EBay and look on all the reviews on it before I decide to buy. Man what difference 25 years make.
    hell yea,right you are,the cover art was big deciding factor for pickin games...haha,i wish i cud member more games i rented so i can buy them now..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    matt_average

I'll never forget the first time I ever had to have a parent with me to rent a game. I was 11, it was September 1996, and I had walked 15 minutes to Blockbuster to rent Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 for the SNES, which had just come out in the summer. I spent enough quarters at Aladdin's Castle over the previous year and I decided it was time to bring it home. Blockbuster had become incredibly strict when it came to renting out games with "T" or "M" ratings to younger kids when they started the ESRB system two years prior. It was depressing to have to walk back home, have mommy drive me back up there, and have her rent it with me.

The one place I LOVED going to was just five blocks away - Mt. Tabor Video. Not only were there always video games of all systems for rent, you could also buy or trade your games, as well as rent five VHS movies, five days, $5, excluding new releases. There were a few arcade machines, pinball tables, and pool tables as well. It was a cool little hangout, it was cheap, and they were much less strict about renting out things like "R" horror movies to me. Hell, I even had my name on the account. It's been gone for at least a decade now. If I can find pictures of this place, I'll surely add them later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing View Post
    I'll never forget the first time I ever had to have a parent with me to rent a game. I was 11, it was September 1996, and I had walked 15 minutes to Blockbuster to rent Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 for the SNES, which had just come out in the summer. I spent enough quarters at Aladdin's Castle over the previous year and I decided it was time to bring it home. Blockbuster had become incredibly strict when it came to renting out games with "T" or "M" ratings to younger kids when they started the ESRB system two years prior. It was depressing to have to walk back home, have mommy drive me back up there, and have her rent it with me.

The one place I LOVED going to was just five blocks away - Mt. Tabor Video. Not only were there always video games of all systems for rent, you could also buy or trade your games, as well as rent five VHS movies, five days, $5, excluding new releases. There were a few arcade machines, pinball tables, and pool tables as well. It was a cool little hangout, it was cheap, and they were much less strict about renting out things like "R" horror movies to me. Hell, I even had my name on the account. It's been gone for at least a decade now. If I can find pictures of this place, I'll surely add them later.

haha,that is cool,sounded like an awesome store,i member the rating for the games too,my mom wud look at all my games and make sure they werent rated m,she didnt care about teen rating,but she was anal over the m rating,she never let me rent mortal kombat,and i member my neighbor had MK3 ,i would have t go to his house to playn it...

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

In Northern Seattle on Fremont I found an independent video rental store that is still in business.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    In Northern Seattle on Fremont I found an independent video rental store that is still in business.
    aw cool,that is awesome,the one i use to go to has been long gone for while now

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember having sleep-overs with my friends when I was 13 or 14, and we'd always go to the video store and rent one movie, and one game, either for PS1 or N64. Usually something stupid like WWF. But we loved those retarded games! I do distinctly remember renting Battletanx: Global Assault, most likely for N64.

My favorite memories were renting an entire N64 just to play Goldeneye 007. And I'd spend my whole weekend on that one game. I had a Playstation back then, cuz I was into action games, obviously, and as we all know, the Playstation had a huge load of them, but it did not have Goldeneye. My friend and I had loads of action games to play on PS1, but for some reason we played Goldeneye more then anything else, which was only 1 of 2 action games on the system, at least from what we thought.

No one knew anything about what games were out back then, unless u had magazines. I used to get the Playstation magazine, and kinda wish I still owned all those issues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks guys,this is great,i like hearing yalls stories,and it gives me ideas for games to get,haha

ive got aladdin for snes,it is a fun game,i actually beat it a few times,but it is a fun game to play

yea i had a buddy that cud beat games quickly,i always had trouble beating games,and i had a short attention span,i wud play another game fore i finished the last one,but i really didnt beat that many games growing up,wish i did

and 007 nightfire,the multiplayer mode is actually similar to golden eye,it is fun, lots of different weapns and stuff,and those guided missles,haha

i knew my sig was to big,sry mods
    Last edited by RoleyDre; 03-06-2014 at 01:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

man!!! i got all my systems out and hooked them up to my receiver (nes,snes,n64,and ps2)and got all my accessories and games and put them ina cabinet,and i wanted to play rush 2 extreme racing,and that fracker has just vanished,i turn my house upside down looking for it....couldnt find it,i called my buddy cause we played it at his house not to terribly long ago,and he doesnt have it either...man i was freaking out,i use to rent that game all the time and just play the stunt course,which is what i wanted to do ,man i was so pissed,still lookin though...sigh

these stories are great by the way,thx alot!!!