Thread: Has the Rise of Retro Gaming affected Current-Gen Gaming?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanoid_Katamari View Post
    I think too many people, I hear, always talk about how the current-gen gaming world is too watered down, theres nothing but GTA and CoD clones, there's nothing interesting, too many cut-scenes, too many dull hack-n-slash games, too many online shooters that get too repetitive, etc.

But I think people are just fulla shit cuz there are so many games out these days, the gaming market has become maybe even more diverse then ever, thanks mostly to the online gaming markets available now on all the newer systems. So u can still go to Gamestop and pick up the newest CoD and GTA and Halo and Assassin's Creed, or go online and find tons and tons of indie games being put out that are SOO diverse.

You see a revival of 2D sidescrollers, beat-em-ups, top-down RPG's, strange puzzle games, not to mention all the retro stuff like the old Nintendo games on the Wii and stuff. My roommate plays nothing but newly-released 2D sidescrollers, and I think people are just being plain ignorant when they say that there's nothing good out there today.

I also think a lotta these games never woulda been made if it weren't for retro games becoming more and more popular. Do u think Super Meatboy would have ever been released in 2001?
    Absolutely correct. Modern gaming is better because of retro gaming, not in spite of it. On the surface, you see the yearly barrage of FPS, Sports and big franchise action games, but there are also tons of games that are fantastic that get far less attention.

I always prefer to have a physical copy of a game when possible, but a lot of the time that's just not possible given the overhead costs involved in physical production, promotion and distribution.

The perfect example of retro and modern merging together is the Ouya. Nearly everything on it is retro-inspired because nearly everything is produced by indie developers. and you now what? The Ouya isnt even a year old, yet it already has dozens of games that I would consider some of my favorites in the last decade.

I think all of the negativity surrounding the Ouya are from those modern gamers who expect CoD and Madden. If you actually look at what the Ouya has to offer, I think a lot of retro gamers would be drawn to it, regardless of the fact that it can run emulators for classic games. I'm talking about its own library.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    Absolutely correct. Modern gaming is better because of retro gaming, not in spite of it. On the surface, you see the yearly barrage of FPS, Sports and big franchise action games, but there are also tons of games that are fantastic that get far less attention.

I always prefer to have a physical copy of a game when possible, but a lot of the time that's just not possible given the overhead costs involved in physical production, promotion and distribution.

The perfect example of retro and modern merging together is the Ouya. Nearly everything on it is retro-inspired because nearly everything is produced by indie developers. and you now what? The Ouya isnt even a year old, yet it already has dozens of games that I would consider some of my favorites in the last decade.

I think all of the negativity surrounding the Ouya are from those modern gamers who expect CoD and Madden. If you actually look at what the Ouya has to offer, I think a lot of retro gamers would be drawn to it, regardless of the fact that it can run emulators for classic games. I'm talking about its own library.
    I know very little about the Ouya, but I'm interested now. The name sounds so gimmicky though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's the old "back in my day" mentality. There were plenty of terribly shitty platformers for the SNES, but they are easily forgotten, leaving us to recall the good titles. The same goes for every generation of gaming. There are lots of great new games, but for every great game, there are at least 5 mediocre titles, if not more. Same goes for music, movies, etc.

There isn't a single generation of games/music/movies/literature which doesn't have memorable works. The same will follow for the current gen.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    It's the old "back in my day" mentality. There were plenty of terribly shitty platformers for the SNES, but they are easily forgotten, leaving us to recall the good titles. The same goes for every generation of gaming. There are lots of great new games, but for every great game, there are at least 5 mediocre titles, if not more. Same goes for music, movies, etc.

There isn't a single generation of games/music/movies/literature which doesn't have memorable works. The same will follow for the current gen.
    Absolutely true, and what's modern today will be retro in 10 years. Ahem, PS2...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I already consider the PS2/Xbox/GC generation to be retro. it's two hardware cycles ago. I think the only reason we don't recognize that era as retro is because the last generation cycle lasted so friggin long.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I already consider the PS2/Xbox/GC generation to be retro. it's two hardware cycles ago. I think the only reason we don't recognize that era as retro is because the last generation cycle lasted so friggin long.
    Well, it took me a while to recognize the PS1 and N64 as retro also. Not till recently. 6 or 7 years ago anything post-SNES, to me, couldn't be classic gaming. But I think the 6th gen systems are classic systems today. What's deceptive to people is that there's not as big a jump, I don't think, between generations. I mean, the difference between the NES and PS1, I think, is way bigger than that between PS2 and PS4, in terms of the game styles, and even graphically. Sure there's a big difference, but not like back then.

I get lotsa nostalgia from my PS2 games, GTA3 and Vice City in particular. If they give me that fuzzy feeling of nostalgia, they're classic systems to me. And I have a field day collecting for all 4 of those systems. Yes, I said 4 cuz the Dreamcast counts. I hope people keep ignoring them actually so the prices for games don't skyrocket like they always do. I like things how they are now, where u can buy the whole Jak & Daxter trilogy for less than 10 bucks.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hope people keep ignoring them actually so the prices for games don't skyrocket like they always do. I like things how they are now, where u can buy the whole Jak & Daxter trilogy for less than 10 bucks.
    Good point. If there is a time to collect for the PS2/Xbox that is now. Next decade all those 6th gen kids (even those who weren't part of it) will jack up the prices.
    Genesis does what Nintendon't

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I know very little about the Ouya, but I'm interested now. The name sounds so gimmicky though.
    Yeah, the Ouya has an image problem for sure. the name aside, a lot of people assume it's little more than "lol mobile touchscreen games like Angry Birds on your tv". OR their real assholes who compare it to other consoles like the PS3/Xbox 360.

The Ouya really only fits in it's own category. It's open source and indie, has it's own controller but you can use almost anything, plays games but can also act as a powerful open source media center much like a hacked original xbox, and it's an emulation powerhouse.

Check out my video series on the Ouya.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUcC90tkN0o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ykNkfOUH1c

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, the Ouya has an image problem for sure. the name aside, a lot of people assume it's little more than "lol mobile touchscreen games like Angry Birds on your tv". OR their real assholes who compare it to other consoles like the PS3/Xbox 360.

The Ouya really only fits in it's own category. It's open source and indie, has it's own controller but you can use almost anything, plays games but can also act as a powerful open source media center much like a hacked original xbox, and it's an emulation powerhouse.

Check out my video series on the Ouya.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUcC90tkN0o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ykNkfOUH1c
    Cool, I thought it was kinda like a plug-n-play thing full of mediocre low-budget games