Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any fans of Kirby?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Any fans of Kirby?

Idk about everyone else, but I think these games are totally underrated. Ok, maybe not totally. But in my mind, they're as good as any classic Mario game, and any Mega Man game. My fav being Kirby's Adventure, cuz that was before they branched him out into these gimmicky side-games like Avalanche and Pinball.

All of them are incredible, tho. The actual platforming ones. Kirby Superstar is an absolute work of art, the graphics are incredible, the gameplay is exciting and weird. They really stand out as unique platformers, and altho the difficulty isn't thru the roof like Mega Man, they're meant to just be experienced, without leaving ur thumbs with blisters.

I kno its a pretty well-known Nintendo franchise, but I still think they live in the shadow of some of these other titles.

And by the way, Kirby's Adventure wasn't the easiest to beat, anyway. It wasn't the heated battle that most NES games are, but towards the end I did feel pretty challenged. It's a forgiving game, but it's still an NES game. Personally I think it's just as good as Mega Man 2 and SMB 3.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Kirby's Adventure is probably a little underappreciated because it's such a late NES release. By the time it came out, all the attention was on the 16-bit consoles. I think the Kirby series as a whole gets plenty of love, though.

And the spin-offs are great games. Kirby's Pinball Land is still one of my very favorite pinball video games. I've had loads of fun with Dream Course and Block Ball as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the saga a lot and I have many games of it. Kirby games has a considerable popularity.

Personally I think the saga needs a refresh new games are almost the same formula repeated over and over again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

I love Kirby games. Been a fan since the original GB game. Both Wii games I thought were very good with Epic Yarn the best.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kirby is one of Nintendo's tent-pole franchises, maybe third behind Mario and Zelda, so I don't think Kirby is that underrated really.

Pretty much all the Kirby platformers are must owns. Kirby's Dream Land 2 was a major game of my youth, one of the first games I really worked at 100% completing. Getting to its real ending was one of my biggest gaming memories.

I personally think Kirby's Super Star gets a little too much reconition as 'the best' Kirby game. Personally I thought it was a bit thin, being made up of several short games, instead of being one long game. Kirby's Dream Land 3 is, IMO, better. Its too bad it came out so late in the SNES life span.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Cherry (Level 1) 8-Bit Archeology's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Steampunk360

Love em all. Kirby is one of the greats. My favorite has got to be Nightmare in Dreamland. The first is a classic along with crystal shards. Great games but I dont think Kirby is hurtin for attention.

(>°.°)> ~~~ ✩

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I wouldn't go as far as underrated on Kirby but I would put it clearly in the category of second fiddle, a B+ franchise they're hit and miss on respecting properly. Kirby was more the big bad thing 10-20 years ago. In that time frame you got the 3 classic 'Dream Land' titles, Super Star, the GBA titles, and the best of the lot the under the radar (being as SNES been out for awhile) Kirby's Adventure which even Nintendo acknowledged doing the GBA re-release of it.

Kirby was a fantastic franchise, and like F-Zero they used to respect it a LOT more, so much they even carried over their anime cartoon stuff for a few years into the Fox TV network 'Fox Box' for kids. I remember watching every single one of those as they were just damn good fun, especially the Kirby episodes. These days though since the GC mid-era, DS and beyond stuff they've kind of fallen into bitch status of abused, wrecked and somewhat forgotten with a few shimmering moments of hope and a few mean teases (F-Zero on Nintendoland WiiU.)

I think the best highlight of Kirby still though was when they didn't overly convolute it with a lot of really dumb assed gimmicks and kitchy garbage as they did with the draw game and the huge pile of kirbys and using a mic to do this and that with the DS era stuff and after with just that 'Return to Dreamland' late on the Wii as almost an apology for deviating from what made it fun. Kirbys best days were the Dreamland titles and 'Adventure' on the NES hands down. It's just a shame the traditional Kirby titles have dried up console side outside of the one I noted on Wii which was a super late release with not much fanfare, but at least they did that cool anniversary package too with the classic titles. Blows my mind they didn't do crap for Metroid and F-Zero has all but dried up along with Starfox outside of Smash Bros bones being tossed.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I always felt like the series branched into two styles when Kirby's Dream Land 2 hit. Kirby's Dream Land 2, Kirby's Dream Land 3, and Kirby 64 went one direction with the hidden star collecting and forced buddy sections while Adventure, Super Star, and Amazing Mirror seemed to stick to a different theme and art style. Less marshmallowy art, and more smooth sprites with brighter colors.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    nmykita

For the longest time, the only Kirby games I'd played were Kirby's Dream Land and Kirby's Pinball Land, both on Game Boy. It wasn't until several years ago that I played Kirby's Adventure for NES, which I really liked.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I pretty much stopped caring about Kirby after a few of the DS games. The last Kirby game I really, thoroughly enjoyed was Super Star. All the following ones just didn't seem to have the same punch (to me) that Super Star had. It was Squeak Squad that killed it for me, as piss poor as it was.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dig Kirby. My first taste of the pink hero was on the NES (as a late twenties adult, mind you) and I loved the game, finding it to be one of the cooler platformers on the system. My son and I have played through Return to Dreamland on the Wii twice now, and it is definitely proof that big developer platformers can still bring the house down. Even apart from his games, I find the character of Kirby adorable, which certainly does nothing to detract from the pleasure of playing his games.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I like Kirby's Adventure, it's remake, and Kirby Superstar the best, but I like Kirby's Dream Course, Kirby's Pinball Land, and Kirby's Dream Land(I think? the first one with the animals) too. I didn't like the original much and never played any of the others.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    It was Squeak Squad that killed it for me, as piss poor as it was.
    Squeak Squad was pretty sad. But I hear Mass Attack and Return to Dreamland are pretty decent.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Return to Dreamland is a stand out that actually is good like the early Kirby stuff before it got derailed and sucky.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I once dreamed there was a Kirby's Adventure 2. Oh, it was awesome! I can only imagine that if the NES had lived a few years longer that the dream would have become a reality..

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by NESter View Post
    I once dreamed there was a Kirby's Adventure 2. Oh, it was awesome! I can only imagine that if the NES had lived a few years longer that the dream would have become a reality..
    It could still become a reality through ROM hacking.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NESter View Post
    Kirby's Dream Land 2 is the sequel to Kirby's Adventure. It took all the elements introduced in Adventure and added more.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    Kirby's Dream Land 2 is the sequel to Kirby's Adventure. It took all the elements introduced in Adventure and added more.
    I never played much of Kirby's Dream Land 2. but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt considering that I do remember entering and exiting the stages through doors, much like in Adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    It could still become a reality through ROM hacking.
    That would sweet! But I don't think anyone's made a Kirby's Adventure level editor yet. And in my dream, I think there was a two player mode, so we're talking serious ROM hacking here, plus a bunch of fresh assembly.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Back in 93' (wow, time really flies) it didn't help much most people were focused on their 16 bit systems and forgot about the NES. Some people like yours truly were still playing NES alongside their 16 bit console. One of those games that caught my attention at the video store was precisely Kirby's Adventure. Easily it is in the top 5 NES games of all time, my god, am I glad I didn't ditch the NES back then.
    Colors, designs, music, controls, it was absolute NES perfection. And I'll leave it at that for now. Gotta go.
    Genesis does what Nintendon't

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    I didn't much care for the animal helpers in KDL2 and KDL3; I think the wider, less-predictable variety of powers in the other games is much more appealing.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)