Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Counterfeit Sega CD games being sold on eBay and distributed by some shady website.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Counterfeit Sega CD games being sold on eBay and distributed by some shady website.

This website called GoodDealGames.com is selling bootlegs of Sega CD games and they are making their way to eBay. That site is acting as the distributor for them, no doubt.

Some eBay listings of the boots-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261449007473...84.m1423.l2649
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/251504076767...84.m1423.l2649
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/151257367500...84.m1423.l2649

Gotta love the disclaimers left on those toilet paper notes. "Not affiliated with or endorsed by Sega Enterprises or Sony Computer Entertainment."

Here is an example of what a legit game is supposed to look like-

Compare it to the very close-looking bootleg-

I mean, you almost can't tell the difference! It's so good, ain't it? Makes me wonder how eBay lets these listings linger on after they've been reported ad infinitum. Oh right, because they get a cut of the sale price.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

The others are unreleased games, but I thought GDG had licensed the right to print betas as aftermarket releases.
    (Battle Frenzy was released in PAL, and that is the "legit" version you link to. But the NTSC version was canceled.)

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    The others are unreleased games, but I thought GDG had licensed the right to print betas as aftermarket releases.
    (Battle Frenzy was released in PAL, and that is the "legit" version you link to. But the NTSC version was canceled.)
    You just beat me to it. The game officially came out in Europe as a PAL release in 1994, it was released for North America in NTSC format in 2004. I'm pretty sure they have the correct licensing to distribute the game in North America.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    If you have the rights to something, you don't completely excuse the companies that gave you the rights.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    You just beat me to it. The game officially came out in Europe as a PAL release in 1994, it was released for North America in NTSC format in 2004. I'm pretty sure they have the correct licensing to distribute the game in North America.
    Correct licensing my ass. They are selling boots all over the place.

http://www.gooddealgames.com/invento...ndo%20NES.html

EarthBound and Final Fantasy II for NES? Thank god they are sold out! Don't want any of those Nintendo lawyers cracking down on stuff still being sold!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, you just found out about GDC now? It's been around for over a decade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Wow, you just found out about GDC now? It's been around for over a decade.
    Yes. I was looking for something and their ebay account (which, by the way, has practically 0 feedback for selling stuff) happened to somehow show up. Then I did some research. Pretty damn shady.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know about the repro sales, but I believe they genuinely get the licenses to the unreleased CD titles they sell. At least, that's what Thomasson told me when I interviewed him back in 2004. If this has changed since then, I don't know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know for a fact that they have the rights to distribute Battle Frenzy as well as Burning Fists and Marko. I saw the information before we did reviews for the games in Classic Video Gamer Magazine. They also own the rights to Mighty mighty Missile, which is a homebrewed version of Chu Chu Rocket for Sega CD, so they are not Bootlegs. I can't speak for any of the other games they have on their site other than the two 3DO packs that they sell as well which they also have the license for as well. Repros and such, dunno' what to say there man.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T2KFreeker View Post
    I know for a fact that they have the rights to distribute Battle Frenzy as well as Burning Fists and Marko. I saw the information before we did reviews for the games in Classic Video Gamer Magazine. They also own the rights to Mighty mighty Missile, which is a homebrewed version of Chu Chu Rocket for Sega CD, so they are not Bootlegs. I can't speak for any of the other games they have on their site other than the two 3DO packs that they sell as well which they also have the license for as well. Repros and such, dunno' what to say there man.
    Sure they do, hence why they aren't affiliated or endorsed by those companies.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NinSEGA View Post
    Sure they do, hence why they aren't affiliated or endorsed by those companies.
    I think you don't the understand basic principles of licensing. You don't have to be affiliated with or endorsed by a company to sell software for that company's hardware. Indeed, the individual publishers that these games were licensed from hold the required rights. You're very close to engaging in libel and tortious interference with business, so I would suggest you refrain from posting further unless you have proof that the games weren't properly licensed as Good Deal Games has represented.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I think you don't the understand basic principles of licensing. You don't have to be affiliated with or endorsed by a company to sell software for that company's hardware. Indeed, the individual publishers that these games were licensed from hold the required rights. You're very close to engaging in libel and tortious interference with business, so I would suggest you refrain from posting further unless you have proof that the games weren't properly licensed as Good Deal Games has represented.
    I do have proof. They are selling bootlegs on their site with the discs simply being burned CD-Rs. It's only common sense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I do have proof. They are selling bootlegs on their site with the discs simply being burned CD-Rs. It's only common sense.
    Ok.....let me get this straight, because they are burned CD-R's that makes them "bootlegs"? But if they ponied up the dough to have the discs factory pressed, would that make it ok with you?

In the case of those Sega CD (and other) games, they are most certainly NOT bootlegs. GDG got the rights to distribute reproduce and distribute those games. For a long time now. Unless you just got into classic gaming-this is common knowledge.

Now if you call out GDG for making bootlegs of those Sega CD games-you better have, oh say one of the original developers in your back pocket stating the license is null and void because being burned on discs doesn't a bootleg make. That's the only way they can distribute the games. Unless you have a Sega CD that magically downloads over the web.

As for the Earthbound and other games, that's a different story. Those are ROM hacks of games never released in the US or titles (like California Raisins) that are prototypes that never got released. Kind of a grey area though personally I see it as buying a cartridge and paying for the service of putting the ROM I can download onto a cartridge I can play on real hardware. Am I playing with the semantics, sure but if you're going to climb up on a high horse you better start nailing Nintendo Age members for releasing protos (like the wonderful Time Diver:Eon Man), or Atari Age for hacks of copyrighted games (like some of the Pac-Man titles....where are Namco's lawyers! Can I get a harumph?)

As for those ebay links-only one says they got the rights from GDG the other two are just selling the games they bought. Like we do. I bet they sell pack in games that say "not to be resold". Ooooo! Exposed!

Ahem

In closing, GDG is good peoples, the stuff they sell they have licenses for are legit and the other stuff is really no different than anywhere else. Any collector worth their salt knows there was no Earthbound or Final Fantasy II on the NES in the US. Call us when they start selling gold cart The Legend of Zelda games. Then you'd be right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

And a member since 6:10 today.....who are you again and why should we take your word over people many of us old timers know (some personally)?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    Ok.....let me get this straight, because they are burned CD-R's that makes them "bootlegs"? But if they ponied up the dough to have the discs factory pressed, would that make it ok with you?
    That's right. I'm sure that would alleviate their problems of having these discs not being 100% compatible with the systems they claim.

In the case of those Sega CD (and other) games, they are most certainly NOT bootlegs. GDG got the rights to distribute reproduce and distribute those games. For a long time now. Unless you just got into classic gaming-this is common knowledge.
    Ah yes, 'they got the rights'. A statement that is constantly stated but with no proof. All I see is proof of these titles not being affiliated or endorsed by the original publishers and IP owners. And zero mention of trademarks and copyrights on the packaging that an official release of ANYTHING would have.

Now if you call out GDG for making bootlegs of those Sega CD games-you better have, oh say one of the original developers in your back pocket stating the license is null and void because being burned on discs doesn't a bootleg make. That's the only way they can distribute the games. Unless you have a Sega CD that magically downloads over the web.
    I don't have any of these developers in my back pocket. What I do have is the companies who own the rights to these games telling me that these are unauthorized reproductions. And by telling, I mean speaking to me during actual phone calls that I have made to them inquiring about these games.

As for the Earthbound and other games, that's a different story. Those are ROM hacks of games never released in the US or titles (like California Raisins) that are prototypes that never got released. Kind of a grey area though personally I see it as buying a cartridge and paying for the service of putting the ROM I can download onto a cartridge I can play on real hardware. Am I playing with the semantics, sure but if you're going to climb up on a high horse you better start nailing Nintendo Age members for releasing protos (like the wonderful Time Diver:Eon Man), or Atari Age for hacks of copyrighted games (like some of the Pac-Man titles....where are Namco's lawyers! Can I get a harumph?)
    Still illegal. There is no grey area on this.

As for those ebay links-only one says they got the rights from GDG the other two are just selling the games they bought. Like we do. I bet they sell pack in games that say "not to be resold". Ooooo! Exposed!
    Whether the person is innocent or not, unauthorized backups/copies/etc. are banned from being listed on eBay and should be reported accordingly.

In closing, GDG is good peoples, the stuff they sell they have licenses for are legit and the other stuff is really no different than anywhere else. Any collector worth their salt knows there was no Earthbound or Final Fantasy II on the NES in the US. Call us when they start selling gold cart The Legend of Zelda games. Then you'd be right.
    'Good' is relative. Selling unauthorized copyrighted works and profiting off of them seems pretty shady, in my opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

There is nothing about a cd-r that perforce makes it a bootleg.

Amazon (itself - not the sellers) sells dvd-r's from the major studio archives - cut on demand.

http://www.amazon.com/Steel-Lady-Rod...rds=steel+lady

To confirm it from another site (TCM):

http://shop.tcm.com/detail.php?p=363...4ef3edad9ce98d

(They use the term DVD (MOD) instead of DVD-R.

You can check other sites (sometimes they are devious about the fact that this (and other movies) are DVD-R) and they are all DVD-R.
    As far I can tell the only legit release for many of these archive release films are on DVD-R.
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Natty Bumppo View Post
    There is nothing about a cd-r that perforce makes it a bootleg.

Amazon (itself - not the sellers) sells dvd-r's from the major studio archives - cut on demand.

http://www.amazon.com/Steel-Lady-Rod...rds=steel+lady

To confirm it from another site (TCM):

http://shop.tcm.com/detail.php?p=363...4ef3edad9ce98d

(They use the term DVD (MOD) instead of DVD-R.

You can check other sites (sometimes they are devious about the fact that this (and other movies) are DVD-R) and they are all DVD-R.
    As far I can tell the only legit release for many of these archive release films are on DVD-R.
    Officially licensed and no-doubt listing the copyright/trademark information on the packaging; something GoodDealGames completely lacks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Officially licensed and no-doubt listing the copyright/trademark information on the packaging; something GoodDealGames completely lacks.
    You missed the point - you stated that it was common sense that they were bootlegs because they were cd-r's.

(And you need to remember that just because something says licensed (or doesn't) doesn't mean it is (or isn't) - just as easy for a bootlegger to stamp that on a disc as not. )

I have an extremely rare cd (a whopping 1000 copies made) by Edgar Froese of the original recording of the album "Macula Transfer" - it was bootlegged as a lookalike that actually has clearer printing on the artwork (which is how you actually tell the difference) They both have the same information on them - one is legit and one is not.)
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!

Strawberry (Level 2) bust3dstr8's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smells like another shitty Nintega troll from a mile away.
    Clowns Suck

Clowns Suck

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is going to be a constant back-and-forth I see, so I'm just going to leave one last post for this thread and let people make their own judgement.

Some facts about this situation:

*These are not authorized by the original publishing/trademark/copyright/IP rights holders- statements made to me personally during phone calls that I have made inquiring about them. I also supplied the companies with necessary information that they asked for, such as the Good Deal Games' URL address.

*The packaging of these completely lack what would make them official, such as listing the proper copyright and trademark information.

*These are not 100% guaranteed to work on the systems that they claim to work on due to the fact that they are burned to CD-Rs rather than being factory-pressed discs based off of the proprietary pressing methods of the original manufacturing plants.

*Statements on the packaging of these games state that these releases are not endorsed or affiliated with the companies that own the IP/trademark/copyright/etc. rights.

*There are several white knights on this forum insisting that Good Deal Games have the licenses to produce these copies, but provide no form of proof whatsoever.

I will not post anymore in this thread.