Thread: What's the best way to get into Amiga? Also recommend me games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default What's the best way to get into Amiga? Also recommend me games.

I realized while going through my wanted lists that a lot of games I want, especially sega CD, turbo grafx cd, and super nintendo stuff have vastly superior Amiga versions. After looking on ebay for a computer/system... not even really sure what it is cause there are so many options, I realized I probably need some professional input. Do I go console, or one of those compuers?

Also, i'm in the USA and it looks like most these units are in the UK. Should I be looking for something else? Is there an american version? I am also noticing that I rarely find games I am interested in on eBay? Which makes me think this is a pretty hard system to collect for

I may even settle for a emulator if I can play actual software without hiccups, but the floppy disk thing seems impossible. Do they make external floppys with USB?

Finally, recommendations on the best games would be great.

Here are some of the games I want to play...

Misadventures of Flink
    flashback
    gods
    ruff n' tumble
    shadow of the beast iii
    TONS of dungeon crawlers and RPG's
    Currently looking to trade for Magical Chase any version, and especially Dynastic Hero USA version. I have Samurai Shodown V Special MVS, lots of other MVS titles, and tons of games. Check out my profile over at http://gametz.com/user/greedostick.html if you are looking to get rid of one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are NTSC versions of (most of) the Amiga systems, and you can even hook up the A600 and A1200 directly to your TV via composite.

But beyond that, the Amiga is a minefield of PAL-only software, AGA/ECS/KS 1.3 512k/1M chipram-only software, etc. So I'd recommend experimenting with emulators first to see if you like the experience.

The best solution is to get a monitor that can display 15Khz/31Khz and PAL/NTSC (a Multisync monitor) like old Commodore or some NEC, Sony models. And then get an A600 or best yet an A1200. You might find PAL models to be much more plentiful, but shipping from Europe might offset all the savings over paying more for a US model on Ebay USA.

I'd also recommend checking out these forums for tons of beginners' questions:
    http://www.lemonamiga.com/forum/
    http://www.amiga.org/forums/
    http://eab.abime.net/

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Amiga

An Amiga A600 or 1200 with a Compact Flash installed and WHDLOAD is one of the best ways to go. Another way is to get an Amiga A500 and a Amiga PC Transfer Kit (look up on ebay), buy tons of 3.5 disks from a thrift store and download the Amiga adf games and transfer it over to the Amiga. It is possible to change the an NTSC Amiga to a PAL Amiga very easily. Look for the Fat Agnus chip (Square chip 8370 or 8372A) and ground pin 41 (place a toothpick in pin 41 and the socket) your Amiga will be a PAL machine. The tough part would be the TV. You will need to buy a TV or monitor that can accept the 15khz signal and you must purchase the Amiga RGB cable. There is an item called the TV modulator (A520) that is needed for the Amiga to display composite. Note there are 2 versions of the A520 (NTSC and PAL). The toughest part I think is finding a suitable display. If you can find a Sony PVM then you are good to go.

Best Games:
    Wings
    Rocket Ranger
    Turrican 2
    Speedball
    Speedball 2
    Super Cars
    Super Cars 2
    Lotus Challenge
    Lotus Challenge 2
    Xenon 2
    Pinball Dreams
    It came from the Desert
    It came from the desert 2
    Defender of the Crown
    R Type
    Pacmania
    Hybris
    Battle Squadron
    Shadow of the Beast
    Shadow of the Beast 2
    Datastorm
    Cosmic Pirates
    Street Rod
    Out of this World
    Flashback
    Hostages
    Marble Madness
    Bubble Bobble
    Rainbow Islands
    New Zealand Story
    Last edited by staxx; 05-16-2014 at 12:30 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I guess it depends what type of games you like but the Amiga pretty much has everything for the time,there are many but here a few off the top of my head and for something a little different I strongly recommend 'Flood',-

Speedball 2
    Stunt Car Racer
    Turrican 1/2
    Elite
    Alien Breed
    Flood
    Dungeon Master
    IK+
    Jimmy Whites Snooker
    James Pond II:Robocod
    Lotus 1/2
    James Pond:Underwater Agent
    X-out
    Carrier Command
    Nebulus
    Starglider II
    Shadow Of The Beast II
    Last edited by jammajup; 05-17-2014 at 05:40 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That's a good list of titles, many of which I want to play, too. I have a nice Android emulator with good controls, all the BIOS files, etc. My problem is that I don't understand the UI of the system, because I never had a real Amiga. Does anyone know of a good (preferably SHORT) tutorial for loading a disk to play?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just bought an Amiga 1200 today. Was an opportunistic purchase. Will be sure to consider the list here

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Here's my own to play-list, focusing on exclusives and superior versions:
    http://626535750121256080.weebly.com...-interest.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The Amiga has fine versions of Desert Strike and Jungle Strike. It's also well stocked with racing games like the already mentioned Lotus titles (Lotus III is also a fine game) and Vroom which the Genesis amazingly pulled off a fine conversion of (And then recieved a sequel to).

Strawberry (Level 2) Manhattan Sports Club's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love the Amiga, mostly because it shares some hardware and software with the Genesis, one of my favorite consoles. However, I have only experienced it through emulation, as it was not particularly popular here in the states for gaming. But it is one example of where western game development was at its best in that particular era, since most of us console gamers were more accustomed to the japanese style of games, being that consoles were their preferred platform. The graphical aesthetics common in the Amiga's library are particularly appealing and some of the finest pixel art.

On the other hand, I can't exactly recall off the top of my head the exact details behind getting stuff like UAE working, but if you're patient and read the documents, examine what's available, etc. then Amiga emulation will prove itself less difficult than it seems. Thing is, most games used only one or two joystick buttons, and often times Up on the joystick/joypad was used for jumping. Keep that in mind.

I second Ruff 'n Tumble. I also really like the Dizzy games as I am enamored with action-puzzlers. There was also a drilling game in this category that I really liked (PP Hammer?). The Lost Vikings and Krusty's Super Fun House have excellent ports on this console. Treasures 'n Traps is another hard but brilliant action-platformer that I highly recommend.

BTW does anyone here own a copy of Amiga Forever? It's supposed to be a legal Amiga distribution package with various goodies. From what I understand, alot of games in the library have been licensed for legal re-release/re-distribution through this venue, which I think is a good idea as alot of the old floppy media is becoming unreliable for playing.
    Last edited by Manhattan Sports Club; 05-18-2014 at 09:30 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I came across a few dozen boxed amiga games a couple of months ago but don't have an Amiga. Not sure if they even work, these old disks are hit and miss and is one reason I don't collect disk based media too much.

Strawberry (Level 2) Manhattan Sports Club's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atarileaf View Post
    I came across a few dozen boxed amiga games a couple of months ago but don't have an Amiga. Not sure if they even work, these old disks are hit and miss and is one reason I don't collect disk based media too much.
    At least the developers are smart enough to realize that and either offer them for free or through a service like AmigaForever without 'trained' or corrupted/hacked disk images.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

My regret on the Amiga was that it crapped out just about the time I was getting into PC gaming. Would have LOVED to have one instead of the dreck 386 I attempted to get by with for a few years. Most models still hold their value quite well.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I run an A500 with ADRam board and an A1200. I have 2 monitors. A 1084 and 1084S. I run into problems here and there. HD died in the A1200 and the Internal Floppy died in my A500. A real pain finding the correct parts but they are out there. With no doubt my Amigas have always been and always will be my favorite machines to game on. As far as games, man way too many good ones...

Speedball 1-2
    Shadow of the Beast 2
    James Pond 2: Robocod
    Alien Breed
    Trolls
    Lemmings
    Dragons Lair 2 (One of the best versions out there!)
    Agony
    Cannon Fodder
    Battle Squadron
    Project-X
    Wrath of The Demon
    Ishar 1-2
    Brutal Sports Football
    Pinball Dreams / Fantasies
    Prince of Persia
    Chaos Engine
    Populous (The countless hours playing this one...)
    Desert Strike
    Gods
    Secret of Monkey Island

Aside from the great games there are hundreds of great demos. Like this one! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfVdGCKFzHk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yago View Post
    Aside from the great games there are hundreds of great demos. Like this one! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfVdGCKFzHk
    Naah, 9 Fingers is so much better! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPoYzwib7JQ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks for the help everyone. For whatever reason digitpress never sent me a email notification of replies. I must say as bad as I want an Amiga, it sounds frustrating to get into it. Lots of PAL software seems like it would be expensive to collect for. So I am going to think about it. In the mean time I just put together a classic late 1990's GLIDE pc to get my fix. Complete with the old 17 inch 4:3 CRT monitor. Pieced it together last week, and picked up..

Baldur's Gate 1 and II with expansions
    Icewind Dale I and II with expansion
    Doom II Big Box version
    Duke Nukem 3D
    Diablo II
    Phantasmagoria II: A Puzzle of Flesh
    Gabriel Knight II
    Gabriel Knight III
    Shogo: Mobile Armour Division.

Never played the Gabriel knights games, or shogo, but shogo looked really cool and the same seller was selling Gabriel knight and doom II dirt cheap with the big boxes and manuals.

I should be busy for awhile.

My system is running windows 98 SE, with a SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 Sound Card, and a Voodoo2 graphics card. Put the whole thing together for less than $100.00. Having a lot of fun.
    Currently looking to trade for Magical Chase any version, and especially Dynastic Hero USA version. I have Samurai Shodown V Special MVS, lots of other MVS titles, and tons of games. Check out my profile over at http://gametz.com/user/greedostick.html if you are looking to get rid of one.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Quote Originally Posted by greedostick View Post
    Here are some of the games I want to play...

Misadventures of Flink
    In the Amiga world, this game was one of the very few CD32 exclusives. So if you want to play this game, you'll either have to own an Amiga CD32, do the appropriate rain dance to get the CD to run on an Amiga 1200, or run it via WHDLoad.

--Zero