Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What type of TV you have for this gen and last gen of gaming?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What type of TV you have for this gen and last gen of gaming?

Right now I got a 32 inch Sony Bravia LCD for my PS3, XBox 360, Wii and Wii U. I'm looking to get a 40 or 42 inch LED either Sony, Samsung or LG. I've been wanting a bigger TV and Mario Kart 8 will look great in LED. Although I'm planning to wait a couple of years to buy a PS4, I know that one game will make me buy the system, such as a new Resident Evil or Capcom fighter (hoping for Capcom vs SNK). Just like Ned Flanders said: "Sometimes you just have to spoil yourself."

Any suggestions what would be good and not so expensive?

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Do you care about 3D, integrated Netflix etc, or any of that? Is there a reason you want LED other than it being newer? Do you really want a 42" or are you assuming that will be inexpensive? What's your budget? How far away from the TV will you be sitting?

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMoniker View Post
    Do you care about 3D, integrated Netflix etc, or any of that? Is there a reason you want LED other than it being newer? Do you really want a 42" or are you assuming that will be inexpensive? What's your budget? How far away from the TV will you be sitting?
    No on the first. I could settle for 40. $550 is my max. Five and a half feet from the tv.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Sharp brand 52" LCD. Doesn't seem to have lag and has all the kinds of inputs I could want (no SCART but I have an HD upscaler for converting that). $1700 in 2009, probably cheaper now if a used one is found.

At work we have Samsung TV's that don't seem to lag either.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Insert Coin (Level 0) TwinChargers's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    These pretzels are making me thirsty!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I use TWO TVs. My primary is this: http://store.vizio.com/e291ia1.html

That is a 29" TV with internet wifi built into it. Now some probably wonder why the hell I'd put pre-HD tech on this knowing about display lag right?

Displaylag.com gives it a "great" rating. (There is a 50" version that's the same internally mentioned if you want big)
    E291-A1 720p 60hz LED HDTV AVG 25ms

The best TV on the market is 17ms, and it has a Sony processor in it that more the doubles the cost of the TV. I saw one at the store when I got mine, it was 4" smaller and $600, and mine is 29" and was $250. It has not failed me at all. It does have GAME mode, not really necessary unless you're into some extreme timing stuff that's super finicky without preprogramming(like Guitar Hero has) such as Gitaroo Man on PS2. I tend on the AV selection just to leave it on Game Mode so it it's really as solid as a CRT for me with a stunning picture and equally solid audio.

My second TV is a Sharp NES TV, a 19" CRT with the Nintendo built into the bottom of it. I use it at times for the NES, and also for N64 since that generation of 3D totally fails hard on modern TVs because of cheats Nintendo, Sony, Sega and others used to exploit the color guns and scanlines for lighting effects, brightness, high quality stills, and other stuff that go straight to hell.

SOmething I've noticed a lot when it comes to using old gaming pre-3D stuff, if you don't want your play ruined by lag, 60hz sets are the safest if you don't have a lot of info to go by. Each jump up to 120hz, 240, etc adds an added layer of processing time to dumb down things to get that crusty old signal from the past which is death when you need precision from Mario making a jump, making notes on a music game, or not getting your ass shot off in a Gradius style title.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

The best TV on the market better have a response time under 5 ms. 17 ms is horrible.

I have a 52" Samsung LCD (LN52A630) in the living room with an Xbox 360, PS3 and gaming PC connected to it. The response time is @ 5 ms and the display also has 120 hz Tru-motion plus.

In my office I have a 24" LG Flatron W2453V display for 2 PCs (1 office and 1 gaming) and another Xbox 360. I also have a 32" Sony Wega (KV-32HS420) 4:3 CRT that is capable of 480i/480p/720p/1080i and a 27" Sony Wega. I have an Xbox, Gamecube, Dreamcast and Saturn connected to the 32" television and I use the 27" for light gun games.

I really like the picture quality of the LG display on my desktop. If my Samsung blows up anytime soon, I may replace it with a high-quality LG LED display.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

No TV on the market that isn't intended to be a computer monitor can meet your over the top expectations according to displaylag.com which calculates all this stuff as it stops at 17ms. Perhaps your tv isn't on their site, or you use a different criteria than they do to calculate the lag time. If you're using some other system it would make me wonder what my TV would really set at as it should be a lower number.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    No TV on the market that isn't intended to be a computer monitor can meet your over the top expectations according to displaylag.com which calculates all this stuff as it stops at 17ms. Perhaps your tv isn't on their site, or you use a different criteria than they do to calculate the lag time. If you're using some other system it would make me wonder what my TV would really set at as it should be a lower number.
    Samsung claims that my LCD display has a display lag of 5ms. The LG (pretty much a PC monitor) I have in my office is supposedly 3ms. Most gamers in-the-know will tell you to look for a display that has display latency less that 8 ms and preferably 5 ms.

This website seems to cover what you're talking about.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/input-lag
    Last edited by Gamevet; 05-27-2014 at 12:11 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I just bought a brand new projector a couple of weeks ago. I've owned a nice 720p projector for many years, but have never made the jump to 1080p. Normally, the jump to 1080p from 720p would be pretty mild. Most people wouldn't even notice it. But with projectors, it's a HUGE difference. I couldn't believe how much better 1080p is. My screen size is about 126 inches diagonal. It's a pretty huge screen. When you are blowing up an image that big, every tiny bit of resolution actually matters.

In fact, it's so much better, that I actually had to move the sofa even closer. It's clear and crisp enough that I can move the sofa pretty close and everything still looks fantastic. The projector cost me $749.99. It's the BengQ W1070.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BenQW1070.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	7491

http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-W1070-108...rds=benq+w1070

Amazon recently had it for $729.99, but the price is back at $800. It's well worth the money at either price if you're a gamer. It's like having a huge 126 inch plasma on the wall. My Playstation 4 has never looked better. I was playing Infamous Second Son on this new projector, and let me tell you.. it was a visual tour de force. By the way, I'm not using some super expensive screen or anything. Just a wall painted white, the the area surrounding the screen painted black.

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    No TV...can meet your over the top expectations.
    And welcome to DP.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Deputy hah!

I know what display and input lag are. I did some recent research back in March to replace a nice LCD I had that was super smooth and responsive with old games my kid cracked, a nice Pansonic Viera. The TV I quoted using that one site was the best response time for the TV size I wanted and in a price range that wasn't a ridiculous nitpicky ripoff. I can be pretty sensitive to the lags and off of game mode I was having problems playing Gitaroo Man and side scrolling shooters, but with it on with the Vizio I can play it just as nicely if I popped it into my Sharp TV.

Maybe the site I used to get that tv index clocks stuff differently with another style test than that .UK site linked, but I do know the TV has no problems with old games in general on much of it, and none with Game Mode flipped on. I know that it's as smooth as the older LCD I had if not better with the new LED.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaKat View Post
    Right now I got a 32 inch Sony Bravia LCD for my PS3, XBox 360, Wii and Wii U. I'm looking to get a 40 or 42 inch LED either Sony, Samsung or LG. I've been wanting a bigger TV and Mario Kart 8 will look great in LED. Although I'm planning to wait a couple of years to buy a PS4, I know that one game will make me buy the system, such as a new Resident Evil or Capcom fighter (hoping for Capcom vs SNK). Just like Ned Flanders said: "Sometimes you just have to spoil yourself."

Any suggestions what would be good and not so expensive?
    Use this as reference: http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/
    Just be warned that a lot of TV's have different lag at non-native resolutions. Make sure you buy from somewhere that lets you return if you're not satisfied.

Was going to recommend the Sony W600B, but then noticed that its lag was significantly higher than many of its siblings.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I'd say that whatever you buy make sure the place has a good return policy, because they only real way to know if the TV is right for you is to just have it in your house and use it.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is embarrassing, I use a tube tv........ Yea. I have about 17 diff consoles I play, and only 2 of them are designed for HD tv's. So, don't care. I may get a flatscreen TV to put on the wall above it tho, there's just not much room, and the tube tv looks fine to me. My NES games just look better that way, and I haven't seen the need to get a whole other TV just for my Xbox 360 and Wii.

I'm pretty behind technologically most of the time, I've never owned a flatscreen tv, and never owned a smart fone. Gaming is the only thing I've kept up to date with. And Tuesday I'm getting the PS4 so I'll at least be at the edge of technology in that sense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanoid_Katamari View Post
    This is embarrassing, I use a tube tv........ Yea. I have about 17 diff consoles I play, and only 2 of them are designed for HD tv's. So, don't care. I may get a flatscreen TV to put on the wall above it tho, there's just not much room, and the tube tv looks fine to me. My NES games just look better that way, and I haven't seen the need to get a whole other TV just for my Xbox 360 and Wii.

I'm pretty behind technologically most of the time, I've never owned a flatscreen tv, and never owned a smart fone. Gaming is the only thing I've kept up to date with. And Tuesday I'm getting the PS4 so I'll at least be at the edge of technology in that sense.
    Buying a PS4 to play on an SD-CRT is a waste of money. Have you ever considered looking at Craigslist to find an HD-CRT?

You can get one for less than $100.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/app/4452470700.html
    Last edited by Gamevet; 05-29-2014 at 09:50 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

don't cheap out get a good brand tv we bought a cheap set this year and while picture is good its had a few glitches and some audio issues you get what you pay for. I typically go sony if I can or samsung and sharp are good also vizio might be an ok option as well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Vizio is a solid option. THey used to be like Kia cars 15years ago, pepsi cans on wheels, but in the more recent times their quality has seriously improved. I have one now and the response time on the tv is fantastic and I have zero issues with pre-HD level games and lag. They don't cost as much as SOny and Samsung where in part you're paying for the label and in some brands extra processors for not much of a gain, but they keep up with them despite that. Ask me a few years ago and I wouldn't have been paid to use one of their tvs.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    Buying a PS4 to play on an SD-CRT is a waste of money. Have you ever considered looking at Craigslist to find an HD-CRT?

You can get one for less than $100.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/app/4452470700.html
    Yea, I'm gonna go buy one. The PS4 apparently is only HDMI compatible, so I'm forced to. No big deal, I've just never cared about having my game picture look 50% better, they look great on my tube tv, I never cared.

I'll now hafta figure out a way to play my retro systems on the HD tv cuz I don't have space for two TV's in my room here, and my roommate wouldn't appreciate me taking over the living room. I may get a Retron 5, although I'm hearing about the drawbacks and it makes me wary.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanoid_Katamari View Post
    This is embarrassing, I use a tube tv.
    Same with me. No problems with it, might as well stick with it.