Thread: Electronic Game Player Magazine #2 - preEGM Steve Harris publication

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Electronic Game Player Magazine #2 - preEGM Steve Harris publication

I've been looking for issue 2 of EGP for quite some time.

Anyone have a clue what it's worth and if any have surfaced?

Thanks in advance!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello grafxguru,

That is one hard issue to find! I don't look every day but I do collect vintage gaming mags and the last time I saw that issue on Ebay was about 11 or 12 years ago, right around the time I started to go back and aggressively pursue getting as many gaming mags from the 80's I could find that I didn't already have. I remember this because it went for just shy of $80. I though that was insane. I was still green with how rare some video gaming magazines are and that was the beginning of my education. Since it was pre EGM and that EGM and the original Electronic Games Magazine were my primary focus I started my quest to find and purchase the four issues that were published. Outside of issue #4 I came up empty for years. In 2007 I eventually did find a private collector on a game forum site similar to this that was selling issues 1,2 &4 for $125. I thought that was too good a price to pass up so I took it. It is a nice set, with issue #2 looking the best but unfortunately, it has a subscription coupon cut out of it. It is hard to find so I am not complaining. It took a while longer to find #3 but I eventually did. It seems that with the four issues of EGP #2 is the rarest, with #3 almost as rare, #1 still pretty rare but not impossible to find and #4 a bit scarce but not terribly rare.

As far as prices go, for gaming mags they fluctuate quite a bit as I'm sure you know. It can be frustrating but just the way it is. It seems the truly rare ones always stay pretty high and will still climb over time. About a year ago, on Ebay a copy of issue #3 sold for roughly $225 in average condition. I would think an issue #2 in the same shape would get the same price... Maybe even a little more to the right collector since it doesn't show up very often. But with this hobby you never know. You might see on for sale by someone who doesn't know the value and get it on the cheap. If it goes on an auction with the right keywords it will probably go pretty high.

Here's the good news...sort of. Even though the print run on EGP was most likely small there were still thousands of each issue made and there are more out there...somewhere. You just have to play the waiting game until one surfaces. Good luck with your search and enjoy the chase!
    Last edited by Nightrob; 06-17-2014 at 02:16 AM.