Okay guys, been a while since I posted.

This is kind of painful. I've been having a bad set of arguments in my household over my 36" Trinitron. "It's ugly. It's too big."

It's banged up from just getting it into the house, but it's a gorgeous TV for retro-gaming. I love it. I want to keep it. Unfortunately the time may be coming where I can't because I can't take the kind of hostility it's going to generate.

I have a smaller Trinitron CRT that I keep because it can still handle light-gun games, whereas the 36" is a flat screen and I have never been able to find a way to make them work, so I'm not losing that capability.

I guess what I'm looking for is information on whether there's a good upscaling solution that would let me play my old consoles on a nice, thin, unobtrusive flat-panel television without excessive ghosting, game-breaking lag, or looking like warmed over ass.

I have not modded any of my consoles, and while I'm not averse to digging in with a soldering iron, that would mean modifying NES, SNES, Genesis/SegaCD/32X, Turbografx, SMS, and every other console I can think of because I own almost everything but the NeoGeo systems. I really need advice here. I've been told that if there isn't a truly satisfactory option that I can really live with, then I won't have to get rid of the Trinitron. These guys aren't dumb though, and I wouldn't be able to effectively lie. They're also fond of retro games and have some skill, so they'd be able to play it themselves and force my hand.

So rather than have to carry this fight on in the absence of good information, I'm asking here, is there a good solution?

Thanks in advance.