Everyone seems to blame the hipsters and the resellers, but I've been thinking abou this, and I think there's very real answers to this. One is, I think, there are far more consoles and games today that are considered to be classic or retro. Retro to me, is just a sliding scale term, the Colecovision is retro cuz 80s stuff is retro. Same with spandex and jerry curls. Retro. Now 90s stuff is considered retro as well. Ren & Stimpy, Mark E. Mark and Sega Genesis. Plus the Ps1, Dreamcast, and N64 are now retro as well. There's more considered classic.

I also believe it's cuz gaming is far different then it was, there was nostalgia for me in 2000, I remember my uncle giving me the NES and Genesis I had played as a kid around that time, and I held onto them ever since cuz to me there was a nostalgia element, and I felt there was some value to what I considered "classic" games at the time. But Ps1 was not retro at all, to me. Now we see tonsa genres that are long forgotten, only kept alive thru the indie game market. Games r obviously way different then they were. Obviously.