Thread: I Created an "All-System" Video Game Checklist and am looking for Feedback!

Founder, Museum of Gaming LLC
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I Created an "All-System" Video Game Checklist and am looking for Feedback!

Hey guys! Over my years of collecting, I've always wished for a complete listing of every game for every system so that I could keep track of my progress on complete sets. I've put many, many hours into researching and creating such a list and I'm looking to get some feedback.

The document comes in two formats; .numbers for Mac/iOS as well as Google Docs for those who prefer PC. It is fully interactive, and as you check a game off your list, it will show you the total collected, and update the homepage with total games and percentage collected. Full details and changelogs/updates can be seen over at reddit, here.

I'm looking for feedback, as well as any games I may have missed. Thanks!

Mac/iOS Version - Be sure to "Open in Numbers"

Google Docs Version - Place an "x" each box to be counted.
    Last edited by vgcollector666; 06-13-2014 at 02:24 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vgcollector666 View Post
    Hey guys! Over my years of collecting, I've always wished for a complete listing of every game for every system so that I could keep track of my progress on complete sets. I've put many, many hours into researching and creating such a list and I'm looking to get some feedback.

The document comes in two formats; .numbers for Mac/iOS as well as Google Docs for those who prefer PC. It is fully interactive, and as you check a game off your list, it will show you the total collected, and update the homepage with total games and percentage collected. Full details and changelogs/updates can be seen over at reddit, here.

I'm looking for feedback, as well as any games I may have missed. Thanks!

Mac/iOS Version - Be sure to "Open in Numbers"

Google Docs Version - Place an "x" each box to be counted.

Also, while you're at it, I'd appreciate if you'd check out my companies big endeavor on Kickstarter, the Virtual Museum of Gaming.
    Not sure where you got your data, but just glancing at the Neo Geo CD list, you have a bunch of Japanese-only releases on the US list. I imagine your other lists may be inaccurate as well. Also, this site is the home to very comprehensive lists and a legendary guide, so I'm not clear why you decided to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I created this for my own personal use originally. It was so that I can have a spreadsheet on my iPad to keep track of my personal collection. I then shared it with Reddit, and I've gotten a ton of positive feedback from them so far, so I decided to see if anyone here might be interested in it.

As far as the Neo Geo showing Japanese games, I cross-referenced it with the US list on this site and they match up.
    Museum of Gaming LLC "Preserving the History of Interactive Gaming"

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I created this for my own personal use originally. It was so that I can have a spreadsheet on my iPad to keep track of my personal collection. I then shared it with Reddit, and I've gotten a ton of positive feedback from them so far, so I decided to see if anyone here might be interested in it.

As far as the Neo Geo showing Japanese games, I cross-referenced it with the US list on this site and they match up.
    Well, perhaps you should have cross-referenced it with Neo-Geo.com and other collectors to get a truly accurate list. Games like Samurai Shodown RPG, Zintrick and probably 5-6 others on your list were never released in English/US/Euro format and are Japanese exclusive releases. Again, if all you're doing is copying the data on this site or others already out there, you wasted your time. Also, there are many similar and IMHO superior checklists to yours out there including the ones here and the ones on RF Generation.

http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/checklists.php
    Last edited by Bojay1997; 06-13-2014 at 01:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Well, perhaps you should have cross-referenced it with Neo-Geo.com and other collectors to get a truly accurate list. Games like Samurai Shodown RPG, Zintrick and probably 5-6 others on your list were never released in English/US/Euro format and are Japanese exclusive releases. Again, if all you're doing is copying the data on this site or others already out there, you wasted your time. Also, there are many similar and IMHO superior checklists to yours out there including the ones here and the ones on RF Generation.

http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/checklists.php
    I'm gonna have to disagree with you. Those lists that you claim to be superior are not complete. Also, mine is created to be interactive, the whole point is to calculate how many games you have, and display a summary of your collection. So whatever you are trying to argue is moot. In addition, mine is broken up into categories depicting licensed games, demo disks, etc. The others just bunch them all together.
    Last edited by vgcollector666; 06-13-2014 at 02:05 PM.
    Museum of Gaming LLC "Preserving the History of Interactive Gaming"

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm gonna have to disagree with you. Those lists that you claim to be superior are far, far from incomplete.
    Actually, both the lists here and on RF Generation are very complete. They also cover multiple regions and provide helpful data about the games themselves. If you're gonna do something like this, it's important to offer something other checklists do not. As far as I can tell, all you did is take other people's data and stick it in a generic file. Separating "games" and calling everything else "other" isn't exactly an innovation nor is it helpful to most collectors.

As for your other points, there are multiple other collection tracking applications and database sites that people are already using. I doubt anyone is going to switch to your checklist system unless it offers something that the other sites and apps do not.
    Last edited by Bojay1997; 06-13-2014 at 02:11 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Makes post, asks for feedback, doesn't accept criticism. Yep the usual digitpress thread. I think Nintendoage has a more comprehensive list because that even lists out the minor variants such as seal of quality size, Player's Choice, original release etc.

I want to see a comprehensive list that explains which versions of inserts were packed with games over the coarse of its release and subtle details that match up correct cart labels with differences in the box and manual so I can re-match mismatched games. I don't like buying from people who take a Player's Choice game and sell it in a box for the original release.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Man I WISH Samurai Shodown RPG had been released here.

Or maybe not, I don't actually want to buy a Neo Geo. So far its the one pricey system I can totally (and blissfully) ignore.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Double Ugly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't let the negative Nancy's kill your dream!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Yeah my comment was meant to give you something to expand your idea beyond what other sites provide. You can 1-up them if you add extensive variant research and provide example pictures of everything.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not a bad start. I'm trying to view this on my phone and it's being cranky, so I can't give you a lot of feedback, but one thing I did notice that you may want to consider adding is variants. I didn't see any 3 or 5 screw variants or Players Choice/Greatest Hits type of stuff. It may seem trivial, but some people do care about tracking that kind of stuff. Also, I didn't see a category for Atari 8-bit computer games.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    Man I WISH Samurai Shodown RPG had been released here.

Or maybe not, I don't actually want to buy a Neo Geo. So far its the one pricey system I can totally (and blissfully) ignore.
    A translation of the PSX or Saturn version would have been very nice.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Just curious ol' chap. How did you reference these lists? Do you have sources for assuring the 'complete'ness of them? YOur PSX section has some curious edits / typos / additions that don't exist...

Insert Coin (Level 0) cheaterdragon1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Nintendo 64 list has too many games on it. There are 296 releases in North America, and that number is common knowledge. I noticed you had OOT listed twice, and you also had NHL Blades of Steel 2000 listed which is an unreleased game. There's more errors but I don't see them all right now.