Thread: when people have thousands of random games on a Xbox....

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default when people have thousands of random games on a Xbox....

When i was in Vegas, there was a shop that would put hundreds or thousands of games on there for a fee. I was never interested in this until i noticed i have about a thousand games over about 30 systems that i want to play, but dont want to hook and un hook them for every round. i love collecting the games and owning them, but how can i get into playing a HUGE variety of games like that? i dont have the online things nor do i want that, im talking along the one system, with a lot of games on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by LimitedEditionMuseum View Post
    but how can i get into playing a HUGE variety of games like that?
    The overwhelming majority of them are inevitably crap. And you cannot get into playing them all unless you have some strange mental compulsion. (Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that. Strange metal compulsions have been responsible for a lot of things throughout history. They're still kind of strange, though.)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Are you talking about all the emulators and stuff ?

I used to have an old original Xbox system that was modded with tons of emulators and roms. But there are a couple of big problems with this scenario.....

1. Finding a good D-Pad on a controller that works on the original Xbox.

2. PS1 emulation isn't very good, N64 emulation is mediocre, Saturn, Jaguar and 3DO emulation are obviously not possible. Same thing with Dreamcast, PS2, GameCube, etc, etc. So it's not like you'd be able to put away all your machines.

3. emulation is emulation. As good as it can be sometimes, it's usually not 100 percent perfect.

4. I just prefer playing the real deal on a nice Sony PVM RGB monitor. I like the native, analog RGB signal, and emulation can attempt to fake that natural signal, but it's just not quite the same thing.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have a modded xbox with 18,000 classic games. full libraries of 2600 5200 7800 nes snes genesis tg-16 neo geo mame arcade Capcom Gameboy gbcolor gba lynx n64 ps1 aaaand I think that's it lol. also has lots of movies. its worth 300 bucks, my xbox.

playing games on it definitely feels cheap and not special. its so easy to jump from game to game and the graphics are all perfect and smooth. really cheapens the fun of playing classic games. you know, that feeling you get of actually hooking the system up and getting it working, and using the right controller for the system. its also a lot more fun collecting actual games. still, I suppose its nice to have such an awesome xbox, especially when money gets tight. can sell thousands of dollars worth of real games and still have them on xbox heh.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I've noticed a lot of emulators on modded Xbox have input lag even on a CRT.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Not really a surprise when, I'm guessing, most/all emulators on Xbox are ports of PC emulators.