Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Were Your First Feelings/Impressions of Super Mario 64?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I saw it in stores but didn't play it until my nephew brought his n64 over one weekend. Didn't care for it at all. Looked great but I always disliked platformers in 2D and this thing was a nightmare for me to try to play. Liked Starfox 64 a little better but I was a PS1 guy in that generation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Complete and utter amazement.

I asked for a PS1 for Xmas that year... and had a strange feeling of disappointment mixed with intrigue when I opened an N64 with Mario under the tree. I thought they were sold out everywhere that year, so I knew my parents were planning ahead to snagged one.

Hooked it up in the living room that day and had a blast. Exploring the "overworld", shooting out of cannons, beating bosses, collecting red coins, racing penguins, etc. The gameplay was so varied and I really enjoyed it. Made sure to get all 120/120 stars before I called it quits.

Still one of my favorite Marios of all time, though Super Mario Galaxy 2 and the New Super Mario Wii versions are excellent games too.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

My very first impression, after walking into Zellers, as an 8 year old boy, and playing the game on the demo kiosk for about 30 seconds?

"This isn't so great, I think I will be happy with just my Super NES".

That very indifference soon faded after a short few minutes on Cool, Cool Mountain. I had an experience in my few minutes with that demo that have only been felt again by the likes of the newer GTA titles (SA, IV, V). Pure Magic.

Fast forward to Christmas. Somehow I survived until then without getting too hyped for the system. In fact I may have expressed interest in getting one, but I don't remember pressing the issue too much.

This was a magical Christmas. My sister had just come along early that year (born 5 days before my Birthday might I add) and yet I could sense a different energy in the family. I was no longer the baby of the family, and much of the focus was obviously on the new girl. The first grandchild that was female! And yet, the vibe this Christmas was unlike anything I remember from ones prior.

The gifts. Oh lord, that mountain of gifts! It was at that moment that it had struck me; Of course! There's another kid in the family now!

In the back of my mind I never expected to get the system. We weren't exactly financially stable, but never went without. So as we started clearing that mountain, and after I opened all of the ones marked with my name, no 64. Disappointed, sure, but not unexpected. Before the thought that I wouldn't be playing Mario 64 until possibly next Christmas could enter my mind, hey, what's this in the closet here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFlcqWQVVuU

See this kid's reaction? I was so shocked at what I had unwrapped that I was speechless. As the smile started growing on my face, I was literally hit with a force that knocked me flat out on the floor. Euphoria so strong in that moment, that I hardly noticed the small box placed in my lap as I lay on the floor.

I come back down to earth, and find that in this box is the key to my most memorable Christmas. I was now the owner of an N64 and Super Mario 64!

I don't remember a single thing that happened that night other than I was playing Mario 64. I must have played until about 2 in the morning. I spent countless hours with the game for the remainder of Christmas vacation. I don't think I got 120 stars before heading back to school, but definitely the 70 needed to finish the game.

To this day, Mario 64 is one of my favorite games, and it gave me an experience I've never felt prior, and only a few times since. Perfection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Default What Were Your First Feelings/Impressions of Super Mario 64?

I loved the game when I was younger but I remember getting really frustrated with the camera. I played the ds remake; I wasn't too impressed and the game wasn't as good as I remembered it. Camera problems coupled with an awful controller was frustrating. Still, the fact that we all loved the game shows the influence of Nintendo back then.
    Last edited by Zthun; 06-30-2014 at 09:14 AM. Reason: MT

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I really didn't like the game. I've never played it for more than a few minutes because I hated the look and the 3D environments. It wasn't a major disappointment or anything really though, because I didn't know anything about it prior to seeing it when it released. I just assumed that there would be a Mario game releasing for the system at launch. I was surprised that there wasn't one for the Gamecube.

I really didn't like most early 3D games. I thought that they were blocky and ugly looking, and I still don't like 3D platformers, or 3D fighters much at all. Games that offer a too much freedom and are too open ended tend to bore me. They seem less structured, and I don't feel like there's a sense of urgency or pacing like the type of games I grew up playing. There are lots of exceptions to this, but generally I felt that Mario64 killed a genre that I used to really love. I was for the best though, as video games have to evolve.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My first reaction to Virtua Fighter was "So this is 3D... The realistic movement is cool, but I do not like it." I knew that this was the future of video games. My first reaction to Super Mario 64 was "Yep, all video games will be like this. 2D is dead, and as I don't like 3D, video games will leave me behind."

I was pretty much right, that video games evolved into something that doesn't interest me for several reasons. But it's not so bad as there's plenty of classic gaming stuff to keep me very active in video games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    Definitely wonderment back in the summer of 1997. The freedom, and the sense of adventure and exploration... And 3D was a real novelty back then. Definitely pushed all the right buttons to keep me playing to 120 stars.

It retrospect, the game does sort of set a few trends that I ended up not caring for in Mario games for a long time. Life bars, temporary power-ups, levels with multiple objectives... etc... it took until Super Mario 3D Land to really give me the 3D Mario experience I REALLY wanted.
    Having finished 3D Land, I think I actually prefer 64. 3D Land just seems a bit limited and on-rails in comparison.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Super Mario 64 is what brought me back to console gaming. I shifted more to PC during that time as my computer was juuuuusssst fast enough to run the popular games. When I heard Mario speak for the first time (at least that I heard) and saw this sprawling world that was my playground, I was hooked. It was the first console I waited at the store to get on launch day.

The game is still fun to this day for me as Nintendo got the 3D platformer "right" from the get go. Good balance, approachable for anyone with some sort of coordination (my 4 year old can play it and actually get past levels) with difficulty ramping up as your progress but not so much so that it's frustrating. Later games of this new genre just didn't feel as tight as SM64 and, while fun, didn't quite measure up to Nintendo's 64 bit opus. The collect-a-thons got a bit old and other 3D Mario games felt very rehashed save for Sunshine which I never liked. It was the same blah feeling I got when I first played Super Mario World.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Playing SM64 for the first time for me was like playing video games for the first time. I had never felt such a satisfying experience since the first time I played Super Mario Bros. I tried playing Super Mario Sunshine, but it just wasn't the same.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

If I remember right, Miyamoto wasn't as involved with Sunshine as he should have been. Nintendo were in desperate straights after the Retro Studios debacle, and without Rare, that he was drafted to help save a multitude of games that had to be ready for launch. Sunshine was not polished, and some said it was too difficult a game for little kids.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

In desperate straights after a debacle with Retro Studios? What is this in reference to?

And how would this development office in Texas ever manage to leave Nintendo in "desperate straights" no matter what it did? It has grown to be a valuable resource for Nintendo, but it's simply one small part of their 1st/2nd party development muscle even today.

And looking at Wikipedia, Nintendo's interest in Retro started in 2000 with Metroid Prime beginning development, was basically purchased by Nintendo in May of 2002, and released Metroid Prime which was one of the biggest hits on the GameCube just six months later. Didn't sound like a disastrous gestation period to me that took away a ton of resources from inside Nintendo to save.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 07-02-2014 at 09:40 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wasnt a fan of Super Mario 64. The graphics didnt agree to me being a huge SNES fan. ( this reason is also why I never got into the N64 zelda titles either ). BUT I have now grown into liking the N64 mario games. Zelda still not so much but if I get a cheap copy I am willing to give it another go 15 years later.
    Current Collection Stats As Of 12/10/2013 : Cartridges - 206 ( 182 unique titles 24 label variations ) : Cassettes - 21 :

Currently in the market for :

+ Atari 8 bit game cartridges ( all brands and most titles )
    + Atari 8 Bit Prototype and Demo cartridges
    + Atari 8 bit manuals and boxes

PM me if you see anything above that you have doubles or interest in getting rid of.

Check out my
    Atari 8-Bit Museum Site at http://www.a8museum.com
    Atari 8-Bit Museum on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/groups/392317377550512/
    And on Ebay under the handle ThePaperVault

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    In desperate straights after a debacle with Retro Studios? What is this in reference to?

And how would this development office in Texas ever manage to leave Nintendo in "desperate straights" no matter what it did? It has grown to be a valuable resource for Nintendo, but it's simply one small part of their 1st/2nd party development muscle even today.

And looking at Wikipedia, Nintendo's interest in Retro started in 2000 with Metroid Prime beginning development, was basically purchased by Nintendo in May of 2002, and released Metroid Prime which was one of the biggest hits on the GameCube just six months later. Didn't sound like a disastrous gestation period to me that took away a ton of resources from inside Nintendo to save.
    After they were outbid for Rare, Nintendo needed to replace them. So they wound up going with Retro Studios, who were tasked with developing a number of games for the Gamecube launch. Nintendo became more and more concerned by their lack of progress. On further investigation, they found that the owner of the studio never came to work, and was always on vacation or with hookers. Embezzlement. Miyamoto had to fly in and right the ship as best he could, but it was a disaster. Nintendo eventually purchased the company outright quite cheaply.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ View Post
    My first reaction to Virtua Fighter was "So this is 3D... The realistic movement is cool, but I do not like it." I knew that this was the future of video games. My first reaction to Super Mario 64 was "Yep, all video games will be like this. 2D is dead, and as I don't like 3D, video games will leave me behind."

I was pretty much right, that video games evolved into something that doesn't interest me for several reasons. But it's not so bad as there's plenty of classic gaming stuff to keep me very active in video games.
    That's almost exactly how I feel.

When I first played SM64 on an import N64 at a local game shop, I was impressed by how it looked, but not how it played. When a friend bought the console and game upon release, I tried it again and still didn't like how it played. I still don't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

First feeling? Awe and wonder. Back then I was 13, and it really brought on the feeling that 3D had now officially "taken over" the gaming industry. True confession: I never really played Mario 64 "real." My bro played it and I would watch here and there. When I had the chance to play it though, I spent it largely swimming in the pool outside the castle. . It's one of those laughable "childhood" memories of mine. I was deeply fascinated with just swimming outside the castle. Weird but true.

Speaking of Mario 64, HappyConsoleGamer put out this tribute video about 2 months ago that is definitely a must watch for any M64 fan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zstl-KRgeK0

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got it free with my DS and I absolutely loathed it. Maybe the home console version was better but as someone who loves everything Mario I couldn't get into it at all. The controls sucked, the camera sucked, and I really didn't like the look at all. In fact the whole 3d thing just struck me as clunky and ugly.

I sold it to Amazon and bought something else.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sunshine sucks compared to Mario 64 that's for sure. I mean gamecube games had great graphics obviously nicer than 64 but I mean, Mario 64, waverace and 1080 for instance are much better on 64 than gamecube. just the overall package.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's strange, back then when a new system came out, it felt like the previous gen was just a million years in the past. When I first saw this game tho, I was already playing Playstation games, so it wasn't a huge shock, but I definately became immersed in it. It wasn't for years later that I actually played it, my little bro owned it and I watched him play it thru. Same story in fact with Ocarina of Time. The music from both those games still brings back tons of nostalgia tho for me, just sitting for hours watching my little bro play them. Then playing Crash Bandicoot and swearing that I had the better system lol

I'm like someone else, I was more interested in Goldeneye, Super Smash bros, and Mariokart 64. I have probably put more hours into playing Mariokart 64 then any other game. I just always found it soo addictive.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had never played Super Mario World as a kid tho, I was a Genesis kid pumping hours into Sonic. But even then, I can remember hearing about the Playstation coming out, and how amazing it was, and suddenly Sonic was ancient history. And, really, it was a huuge step forward in gaming. in terms of one gen to the next. Even comparing Super Mario Kart to Mario Kart 64, it is a huuge leap.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I've been thinking about how to put my thoughts into words. As a cynic and something of a Nintendo hater these days its tempting to say I hated Mario 64 from the get-go, but to be honest...

I remember going into Wal-Mart and they had an N64 demo unit hooked up, running Mario 64. I was so hooked on the game that my grandmother almost left the store without me, and even called for me over the intercom (and I didn't hear it)... they had to come to the electronics section to get me. I knew in that moment I had to get an N64 for Christmas.

I was actually disappointed when I got the N64 and the game my parents got for me was... Wave Race 64. I wanted Mario! I played Wave Race for awhile but in my heart it was just holding me over until days later, I was able to afford Mario 64 with birthday money (incidentally, the reason they got Wave Race initially was because SM64 was sold out).

Once I got Mario, nothing else mattered. I remember even once going to a relative's house and wanting to leave immediately because my N64 wasn't there. The two days I was forced to stay there were sheer torture. I wanted my N64 dammit!

I also got a strategy guide at the same time... not the Nintendo Power one, a different one, but it was just as good.

I remember even after I beat the game and found all 120 stars, I was so addicted I had convinced myself there was a 121st star that was super-hidden and required an insane trick to reveal, so I would spend weeks searching for it. I never found it, of course...

I think I'll always have a soft spot for Mario 64 even though I wound up feeling ripped off by the N64 as a whole.