Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Pac-Man-Alikes That Aren't Just Clones

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Question Good Pac-Man-Alikes That Aren't Just Clones

I really like maze games including some of the various Pac-Man game releases. But I've played the Pac games so many times over the years, I really need something else to keep me going. What are some games which are like Pac-Man but aren't actually part of the Pac series and aren't trying to just copy Pac-Man wholesale? I'm looking for games with a large variety of maze layouts or ones that try to do something different; titles that use a unique gimmick. I'd prefer games which got a console or home computer release, but arcade suggestions are also welcome. And no "Snake"-like games. Please and thank you.

To give you an idea of what I mean, imagine games like "Mouse Trap," "Make Trax," and "Lock 'n' Chase." Those are clearly inspired by Pac-Man, but they each have their own unique spin on the formula.

Insert Coin (Level 0) fairyland's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The two that I loved as a child back in the early 80s were Amidar and Crystal Castles.

Amidar you don't collect anything, but you do go around a preset grid maze filling in blocks and of course avoiding enemies, basically like Pac-man. I think this was the first of it's type and spawned several clones.

Crystal Castles is probably the first 3Dish Pac-man game I've encountered. It's very colorful and was an interesting take on the growing very stale formula. The trackball I think was probably the first for a Pac-man type game but I always felt it hindered the game. You often spin wildly where you don't intend to go and collide into enemies too easily. It quickly got too hard after a few rounds unless you had some mad skills with control. So it ends up being a love-hate situation with me.

Of course the arcade versions are the best. At that time most home computers/gaming systems couldn't really replicate the graphics of the arcade version and ultimately they are rarely worth playing today. I think both has been since ported onto stuff like Microsoft's Game Room for the 360 and PC though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Gameboy version of Lock 'n Chase is really good. It's a pretty major upgrade to the original with a lot of stages.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ladybug for Colecovision is pretty good I like the mechanic of rotating the doors around the maze to block enemies and create new paths and it's always fun luring the enemies into the little skull death traps.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mouse trap, and KC Munchkin are both good. I'm not as big of a fan of the second KC game, but most people liked it.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Nobody has attacked the Devil's World?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Raimais by Taito is excellent. It's sort of a Pac-Man / Shooter hybrid.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DeadlyMaple
    PSN
    DeadlyMaple
    Steam
    some.nerd

Probably my all-time favorite Pac-Man clone has to be Rootin' Tootin' for the Commodore 64. I even managed to find myself an inexpensive CIB copy after I bought my C128 (way back in 2006)!
    You play as a trumpet collecting musical notes off a maze made from musical scales, and instead of picking up the notes, you "toot" them at the various enemies around the maze. You can also push the button to make yourself "disappear" for a split second, allowing you to pass through enemies who try to corner you (and after level 4 or 5, they manage to corner you in seconds). Nice SID tunes, too.
    Evidently there was an arcade version, too, but I have never seen one in existence anywhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Jawbreaker is an interesting take on the maze game and is available on multiple platforms

You could also peruse this list of maze games for something that might interest you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_maze_video_games
    Last edited by Atarileaf; 07-13-2014 at 01:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I know it's an old timer for sure, but what about Brush Roller? Arcade game, pretty fun, even that known notable pirate guy Hwang Shinwei made a great conversion of it that lies on the Golden Game 260in1 cart. You have a Pac-Man like maze but you go around it and paint the ground and have to deal with little things trying to muck up the paint job, but you can like blue ghosts crush them with the right attack.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*cough*crushroller*cough*

It was make Trax in the US, and brush roller on some bootlegs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I know it's what you said, just went by the pirate version name is all which is what I have. I forgot about Make Trax, but remember the other having emulated it on a very early early version of MAME in the mid 90s.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anteater in the arcades had a similar concept of eating dots, but also eating and avoiding bugs. Basically you control it's tongue, but bugs can't walk into from the front, but you can tag them from behind, and I think you're trying to clear all the dots. It's not an easy game, either way.

There's titles with the same name on TI-99/4A and the ZX Spectrum, but I don't know if they're the same game.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DeadlyMaple
    PSN
    DeadlyMaple
    Steam
    some.nerd

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightRider View Post
    Anteater in the arcades had a similar concept of eating dots, but also eating and avoiding bugs. Basically you control it's tongue, but bugs can't walk into from the front, but you can tag them from behind, and I think you're trying to clear all the dots. It's not an easy game, either way.

There's titles with the same name on TI-99/4A and the ZX Spectrum, but I don't know if they're the same game.
    Anteater was pretty awesome too... I think there was a port (ripoff?) of it on C64 called Aardy Aardvark or something like that. Lots of fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

escapeVektor is 50% off on the 3DS eshop this week ($3.99). It's more Amidar than Pac-Man, but Amidar was kind of a Pac-Man clone to begin with. Seems pretty cool so far.

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail...yYm-gEsIHy7Sfh

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Trog! in the arcades and on NES is one of my favorites

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Pacz is a pretty cool freeware game. Lots of nifty new stuff.
    http://www.acoders.com/software/pacz-121
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Fantasy Zone: The Maze is both my favorite Pac-Man style maze game and one of my all time favorite 2 player games.

My oldest friend and I play this game, and ONLY this game, whenever we see each other, which unfortunately is only every few years. We play it competitively, and are pretty die hard about it, too. It's funny, because we're probably the only huge fans of this game in the world. It's also a weird coincidence that someone made this thread recently, because I'm going to hang out with him for the first time in like 4 years tomorrow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Pacar for SG-1000 is decent if not primitive.
    Sindbad Mystery mixes up the formula a little bit.
    And the comments on that Sindbad Mystery video remind us that Sega's "Head On" predates Pac-Man as the first dot-eating game.
    Last edited by Koa Zo; 07-19-2014 at 10:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver079 View Post
    Ladybug for Colecovision is pretty good I like the mechanic of rotating the doors around the maze to block enemies and create new paths and it's always fun luring the enemies into the little skull death traps.
    It's actually an arcade game. The Colecovision port is pretty good, but I much prefer playing it on MAME.