Thread: Great misleading NES Games

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Great misleading NES Games

I found a game the other day no one ever talks about, called Roller Games. It's totally misleading cuz the label makes it look like an average sports game, like racing on roller skates or whatever those people do. I picked it up cuz it's one I don't have, and perhaps it'd be a more unusual sports title, like American Gladiators. Something different from the 100,000 baseball games.

It's not, it's a sidescrolling beat-em-up. And a real fun one. The premise is that the head of the roller skating league was captured by bad guys and u hafta defeat the bad guys. So u go thru these levels on roller skates beating ppl up. It's no Double Dragon, and its hard as nails, but absolutely worth the $5 price cuz it's a lot of fun.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanoid_Katamari View Post
    I found a game the other day no one ever talks about, called Roller Games. It's totally misleading cuz the label makes it look like an average sports game, like racing on roller skates or whatever those people do. I picked it up cuz it's one I don't have, and perhaps it'd be a more unusual sports title, like American Gladiators. Something different from the 100,000 baseball games.

It's not, it's a sidescrolling beat-em-up. And a real fun one. The premise is that the head of the roller skating league was captured by bad guys and u hafta defeat the bad guys. So u go thru these levels on roller skates beating ppl up. It's no Double Dragon, and its hard as nails, but absolutely worth the $5 price cuz it's a lot of fun.
    Watch, in a week it'll be a $300 game since I put it on the internet

Objection! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked this up for $5 a while back, and it is pretty fun. There are many pleasant surprises in gaming for those willing to dig a little deeper.
    Serving the retrogaming community since March 2005

DP feedback: +47(!), no negatives
    can be found here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66092

Insert Coin (Level 0) fairyland's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've seen and owned this game many times but never bothered to play it as it did look like a sport game of which I have no real interest in. So because of this thread I watched a Youtube of it and instantly I thought to myself that sounds like a Konami game and sure enough it is! ! I never expected a roller skating scrolling beat-em-up before. Next time I get one in I'll have to give it a try.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I've messed with it before, can't say it was much fun, but it wasn't terrible like enough of the NES games were despite the seal but it does come down to taste.

One I felt was misleading would be Raid on Bungling Bay. Look at the box. You got like this creepy green glowing eye cyborg or head or something with a weird glow and mist around that. You'd never suspect the game had you taking off with an attack chopper from an aircraft carrier bombing the crap out of factories and eventually other things such as large battleships along with taking down radar installations, turrets and various aircraft along with having to return to defend your ship(because if it goes, you're on your last life despite what you have saved up.) It's not the worlds best game but it's a little better than average and fairly decent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The game was a tie in to the tv show at the time, where there were a lot of fake staged fights.

Night creatures on TG-16 was misleading, ot tried to claim it was a game. And beyond shadowgate lied too, you never went beyond the shadowgate.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I've messed with it before, can't say it was much fun, but it wasn't terrible like enough of the NES games were despite the seal but it does come down to taste.

One I felt was misleading would be Raid on Bungling Bay. Look at the box. You got like this creepy green glowing eye cyborg or head or something with a weird glow and mist around that. You'd never suspect the game had you taking off with an attack chopper from an aircraft carrier bombing the crap out of factories and eventually other things such as large battleships along with taking down radar installations, turrets and various aircraft along with having to return to defend your ship(because if it goes, you're on your last life despite what you have saved up.) It's not the worlds best game but it's a little better than average and fairly decent.
    You could say it's kind of advanced for a first-gen NES game, originally designed by Will Wright. It inspired him to create SimCity.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanoid_Katamari View Post
    I found a game the other day no one ever talks about, called Roller Games.

It's not, it's a sidescrolling beat-em-up. And a real fun one.
    I know of Roller Games, but it's not that fun if you try to play through it.

An old review, originally from over 5 years ago.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you ever get the chance, check out the arcade version of RollerGames. It makes a sport out of seeing which team captain can beat up the most members of the other team.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Based on the name, I always assumed Little Samson was a religious/Color Dreams game. When I finally tried it out (about ten years ago), I spent the first few minutes wondering when this very promising-looking platformer would start proselytizing.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Armor_King's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Based on the name, I always assumed Little Samson was a religious/Color Dreams game. When I finally tried it out (about ten years ago), I spent the first few minutes wondering when this very promising-looking platformer would start proselytizing.

Same thing I thought when I saw this thread title. That game is really well made, too bad it made very little money.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I know of Roller Games, but it's not that fun if you try to play through it.

An old review, originally from over 5 years ago.

Yea I didn't think it was that bad. Maybe just a pleasant surprise to what I was expecting. It's no Double Dragon, that's for sure, but I found it a lot more playable then this guy seems to. And fun. It's hard as hell though.

Cherry (Level 1) 8-Bit Archeology's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Steampunk360

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Same here. But once i heard how good it was, it was beyond my spending limit for games.

Now I fear saving up for it just because I would hate to spend my money on a fake one off the internet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Something like that, get the Famicom game (Lickle) or have someone make you a reproduction(ie: bootleg) of it, or use one of those flash carts I guess. I'd never spend $500+ on a video game, it's asinine and a true waste of money when you get into the realm of blowing 2 car payments, rent, a mortgage, etc on one damn game. This isn't NA, feel free not to get mauled to death suggesting such things. I'd buy an infinitelives board made Samson for the right price as the game is fantastic. It sucks it did badly but when you foolishly release even a great game like that years into the life of the SNES you're dead on arrival.