Thread: Metroid Prime 2....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Metroid Prime 2....

I am sorry for starting another GCN game related thread, but I was just curious what people here thought of the game? I just recently purchased it but I have yet to start a file. I absolutely loved Metroid Prime (1). But I looked up some reviews for it and it seemed to get some mixed response. Also watched X-play's review of it, and they killed it in almost every way. Thoughts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

If you liked 1 then you will like 2. Of the 3 Prime games I did think 2 was the weakest of the 3. Not saying that it was bad, because it is a good game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    NOPHIX
    PSN
    Nophix

I liked the 3 Prime games a lot. Other M is where it took a strange turn.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Weakest one in the trilogy,but i think it's a fine game.Just be warn the game has allot of back tracking towards the end.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

It does some things better than Prime 1 imo, but as noted, yes there is a bit more backtracking by comparison, and the section near the end where you have to hunt for some particular items can be frustrating. I remember that taking a bit of time to pinpoint them correctly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Malon_Forever View Post
    I am sorry for starting another GCN game related thread, but I was just curious what people here thought of the game? I just recently purchased it but I have yet to start a file. I absolutely loved Metroid Prime (1). But I looked up some reviews for it and it seemed to get some mixed response. Also watched X-play's review of it, and they killed it in almost every way. Thoughts?
    You have the game and are asking questions about it? Maybe play a game first before creating a Thread? Then you can offer your thoughts as well.

For me I like both Metroids on the Gamecube and all three in the Wii Trilogy. I do like the update of the Wii versions of the point to aim over moving the gun site with an analog stick. Wii Metroid 3 seems to take better advantage of the Wii controller though.
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by CRTGAMER View Post
    You have the game and are asking questions about it? Maybe play a game first before creating a Thread? Then you can offer your thoughts as well.
    Just take this thread to mean "Metroid Prime 2 discussion thread".

Thoughts on Metroid Prime 2 - It's mixed. Some elements are better than the first Prime. For example, the gameplay is nearly identical to the amazing Prime 1, you explore more varied environments, the graphics are a little bit better and most of the new power-ups are cool and make you kinda wish they were in the first Prime.

But if you're gonna play Prime 2, do it in a vacuum - consider Prime 2 as if it's not the sequel to the best game on GameCube and instead an independent game, call it "Robot Warrior Echo" if it helps to wash the idea that it's Prime 2 from your mind.

The point is, do not play it after recently playing Prime 1. It will ruin your enjoyment of the game. There are certain elements of Prime 2 that make it unique like the Dark/Light world Zelda 3 thing the game has going on, but there are elements that SUCK, like having limited ammo for the light and dark beams. It would be like if you had limited ammo for the Ice Beam and Plasma Beam in Prime 1. Ugh. Also, the boss battles in the GameCube version of Prime 2 are TOUGH, like, unreasonably hard. This was fixed for the Wii Prime Triology. Doesn't make the game easy, just fair.

If you can, buy the Metroid Prime trilogy on Wii, get used to how it controls and then never look back. The analogy I use is playing the Primes on GC is like riding a tricycle and playing them on Wii is like riding a speed bike. Once you switch and learn how the more advanced controls, you'll never want to go back. This coming from a guy who pretty much hates motion controls. In Prime Trilogy the controls just make sense once you learn them.

Is Prime 2 a bad game? No, of course not. It's just not on the level of Prime 1. Most of the concepts that made Prime 1 are still there, but it's marred by some stupid mechanics (limited ammo for all but your power beam, lotsa backtracking, difficulty spikes). Know what you're getting into and don't spoil yourself on Prime 1 beforehand, and you should rather enjoy Prime 2. It's second place, but second place still is a rather good ranking overall.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CRTGAMER View Post

For me I like both Metroids on the Gamecube and all three in the Wii Trilogy. I do like the update of the Wii versions of the point to aim over moving the gun site with an analog stick. Wii Metroid 3 seems to take better advantage of the Wii controller though.
    Thanks, I didn't know I could play it.