Thread: Classic gaming surprise(s) for my 40th birthday!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Exclamation Classic gaming surprise(s) for my 40th birthday!

Hey gang. Well, I turned 40 yesterday and was in a bit of a funk, but I was met with a pretty nice surprise when I went into work that evening.

This machine turned up in a local consignment/thrift store about a month ago. It caught my eye because cosmetically it's in pristine condition (I'm told it was stored away for years by the owner of a local hardware store or something, it was his son who decided to sell it). I mentioned it to the wife in casual conversation, but I didn't give it any serious consideration at all since I thought the price was rather high (it was listed for like $1,200) and I wasn't in the market for an dedicated arcade cabinet. Anyway, she secretly contacted the owner and worked out a deal, and managed to get it for under 300 bucks, and some trade work (which I won't mind doing). I was REALLY blown away, because it was the farthest thing from my mind.

She also got me some other small Pac-Man gifts, Fruit balloons and cupcakes with cherries, Strawberries, and little keys on them to go with the Pac theme, and a 'Travel Boy' backpack from ThinkGeek.com to match my Travel Boy carry-on hard case.

Some of you may recall that I get really cool gaming themed Easter Baskets every year. Well, I didn't get one this year, which is a first in like 8 years since the tradition started. I DID get the 'Travel Boy' carry-on hard case and some other goodies for Easter, but they wouldn't have fit in a basket. Anyway, this birthday haul more than made up for it.

I'm leaving it in the waiting area at work, and am already considering acquiring more machines now, and making a little mini arcade in the parlor's lobby. There's a long hallway leading to the restrooms that would be perfect to line with arcade machines.
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 08-26-2014 at 02:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

What a great wife you have! Definitely a keeper. Congrats on the great birthday haul!
    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wow, what an immaculate looking Pac-Man unit! Happy birthday!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

yeah man, your wife is definitely a keeper. That's a sign of true love when the wife actually pays attention to the little comments that you make and then knows that she could really make you smile by doing something special like that for you.

As for turning 40, don't worry man, jump into the over 40 pool of life, the water's fine in here. I'm about to turn 44 soon, and it's not really that big of a deal. Although I'll admit that I'm not super excited about the idea of turning 50 in 6 years. 40 is the new 30, and I guess 50 is the new 40, but I'm still not super excited to get to that 50 year mark (when it does happen), but 40's are no big deal. I will say this though, when you start to get into your 40's, you should really look into taking better care of yourself (if you're not already doing that now). Eating right, getting plenty of sleep, getting your exercise. You'll still feel fine if you do all that, but if you're just acting like a sloth, eventually medical problems will really start to come in waves when you get into your 40's. So make sure to take care of yourself.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Thanks again guys, and thanks for the advice WCP. I'm pretty sedentary throughout the week because of my job, but I try to exercise at least 1-2 hours a day. I usually walk a few miles and ride my exercise bike every morning, and I do some light free weights about 3 times week. My diet isn't so great. I'm a vegetarian, but I eat way too much starchy food, and too much cheese, and salt and grease...yeah, I just need to do better with the whole eating thing.

I'm going to make it my mission to try to get in the best shape I can by my next birthday. I did the same thing when I turned 35 and got into the best shape I'd been in since my 20s. I need to get back on that again though, because I've grow very lazy and have really let myself go these past couple years.

As for the machine, it doesn't have a mark on it. It must have been stored away for years, unless they're still producing these thing. I honestly have no idea.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Happy late birthday!

Nice cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not too shabby, man.

Happy Birthday, by the way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

This post just elicited some wife envy
    That has got to be one of the best looking Pac-Man cabs in existence!
    Happy birthday!