(been a while since I've been on here)

My PS3 has worked fine since 2008, but it now seems to be suffering from a lesser known problem. I've read about the 'yellow light of death' and how it is caused by a problem with the GPU overheating and ruining the shit solder joints (I hate RoHS).

Mine isn't giving a yellow light, but does have a problem that seems GPU related. If I haven't used it in a long time, the PS3 will boot up and function for a few minutes or so, and then will inevitable end up with distorted video, and the system freezes. Although if I make it into a game, I can often hear music continue to play in the background, at least for a while. Resetting it at this point will cause it to almost immediately do the same thing upon reboot. It has to 'cool down' before it will work at all.

Here are some pictures of what it looks like.

I tried the relatively easy fix recommended for the yellow light problem, taking my heatgun to the CPU and GPU chips in an attempt to reflow the BGA connections. This did not seem to help.

So basically, I have two questions:
a) Is this some other known issue that has a different fix?

or more likely, and slightly off topic
b) which is a good model to get as a replacement? I am resigned that a replacement won't have PS2 backwards compatibility, so I'm guessing it's just a debate between the 'slim' and 'super slim'. Which is more reliable? Can I easily take my existing hard drive and stick it into a new PS3 to retain my saves/etc? Is one model more 'locked down' when it comes to rooting/jailbreaking the system...? Should I risk getting a used console?

Thanks!