Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: "New 3DS" and "New 3DS XL" - Why (or Why Not) Will You Get One?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    lol

This must be done to remove or insert your SD card.

Everything about the New 3DS screams stopgap.
    Oh no! This reminds me of the first model Nokia N-Gage where you had to open up the back of the system and remove the battery in order to change the game out. This is even worse because you have to unscrew the port every time. This is ridiculous. They need to change this now!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Not as bad as it looks on the surface, since the system allows wireless transfers between the system and a PC.

"You can transfer your photos, music, and other files between a PC and your system's microSDHC*** card via a wireless network. No need to remove the microSDHC card."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dashopepper View Post
    I wasn't shocked when I heard that the system wouldn't ship with an A/C adapter because I remember hearing that in Japan none of the Handhelds ship with them. But it definitely is sort of a rip off for consumers..er sort of. If they were going to have to charge more for the system then there standard $199 just to make the margins they need then I guess im ok. I wont be needing to buy another charger because i'm just giving my old system to my wife so I guess I'm good on that end.
    And that's the rub. If they bundled the Charger they would charge $220 ANYWAY. This way the consumer has a little more flexibility.

Though, yes, the clueless parent buying a 3DS but not knowing is probably a bit of a problem. Hopefully retailers do their job.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The charger is only $10, I believe. And how much of that is pure profit even at that price?

They're doing it because they know they can get away with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Please understand

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nintendo World Report
    Nintendo of Europe president Satoru Shibata revealed, during yesterday's Nintendo Direct, the European launch details of the New Nintendo 3DS.

European costumers will be able to pick up the new system on February 13. Unlike North America, players have not only the option of the New Nintendo 3DS XL, which will come in black or blue, but they can also opt for the smaller New Nintendo 3DS and enjoy a variety of cover plates at launch. This includes brand new cover plates from the upcoming Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate.

Speaking of Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, that game and The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D will get special New Nintendo 3DS XL units. They sport original art on the back of system and includes a digital copy of the game pre-installed.
    Source: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/39441/n

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro View Post
    I'm not going to buy a new 3DS but if I was I would purposely buy a third party AC adapter just so Nintendo wouldn't get the extra money based on their move.
    I've actually found proper Nintendo adapters at thrift stores for under $5 so it's not that hard to replace them. It's the same adapter as the DSi, people drop and break the systems so the spare adapters float around. If anything I would prefer they go back to AA or AAA batteries and just design them to be more efficient, rather than use a rechargeable battery that will die out within a decade or so. I can still use my Gameboy Pocket just fine if I wanted to. A 15 year old cell phone I have around has a battery life of under 30 seconds once unplugged from the wall outlet. I've seen some GBA SPs with bulging batteries so they're going to be dying out within a few years.

lol

This must be done to remove or insert your SD card.

Everything about the New 3DS screams stopgap.
    Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    Oh no! This reminds me of the first model Nokia N-Gage where you had to open up the back of the system and remove the battery in order to change the game out. This is even worse because you have to unscrew the port every time. This is ridiculous. They need to change this now!
    Not as bad as it looks on the surface, since the system allows wireless transfers between the system and a PC.

"You can transfer your photos, music, and other files between a PC and your system's microSDHC*** card via a wireless network. No need to remove the microSDHC card."
    It's a bit funny but that mention of the N-gage seems a bit accurate as this console appears to be designed similarly to a smart phone, except you can't make phone calls with it yet. You can install microSD cards in plenty of cell phones too, and lately they're difficult to insert and remove so normally they won't be removed anymore. You have to take off the back case of the phone, and if you have another case for the phone on top of it it's just too big of a pain to bother.

Just like that automatically adjusting brightness feature mentioned earlier in the thread, it's just like a cell phone now. I have a modern cell phone so I don't really care about all these features, I just want to know if it has good games and plays them well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Is swapping out the SD card something people regularly do with their 3DS? I've only ever done so to copy data to my PC, and there's no need for that if there are wireless transfers.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Yeah, it would be great if Nintendo made their handheld run on AA batteries so you could use eneloops.

Same goes for Sony and the dualshock 3 and 4.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Is swapping out the SD card something people regularly do with their 3DS? I've only ever done so to copy data to my PC, and there's no need for that if there are wireless transfers.
    I imagine only if they utilize something like the digital camera or the limited media functionality.

Definitely not as bad as it first sounded, in light of the wireless transfer functionality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Throw another vote in for using a couple AA batteries. I think it's asinine they are supposedly cheap skate cost cutters yet provide an OEM battery of their own creation. I've been considering for years now buying up an immaculate original GBA system primarily because it uses AA batteries and I have a stock of long life rechargeables to use. If I did this though I'd also replace the front plastic scratch prone trash with a scratch resistant piece of glass and also get a 101 screen shoved in it so it's bright and not eye pain to use unless under direct light.

I've gone through a few busted micros and salvaged parts over this issue so I have like 2 or 3 spare Nintendo made batteries for the little thing, a few spare plates, some screws, spare set of buttons and a screen tucked away.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

What would make me happy to know is if you can do two-way transfers. i.e. Can you not only transfer from 3DS to PC, but from PC to 3DS? If so, it would make the 3DS /much/ more useful. I've always wanted to use mine as a podcast + music player - but as Nintendo has intentionally disabled downloading from its Web browser for everything except 3D photos (for fears of people getting used to free content downloads instead of paying from the eShop and of course, piracy concerns) - it is such a pain having to remove and return the SD card whenever I want to load new files that I don't really try. Which is a shame, as the 3DS has some really nice audio player software with cool visualizations. The software isn't feature-rich, but it is really nice to use and all of the game-based, synchronized visualizations are really rad.

Then again, Nintendo will probably require people to use some funky Windows-only software to perform the New 3DS file transfers so users of Mac, Linux, et al. will be left out in the cold (or more likely than not, they will be trying some solution such as praying and using WINE). It would be so easy for Nintendo to have a platform-neutral approach to this, such as: have the 3DS show up as a networked drive advertising itself on your LAN using a network service like Bonjour, or use QR codes to initiate file transfers to and from smartphones and tablets, or use a Nintendo Web site as a convenient middle-man for moving files around (no need to memorize or look up IP addresses this way), or use a small HTTP server daemon running on the 3DS to present a Web-browser interface that allows you to transfer files individually or as file sets compressed as a .zip files. Yet you know none of that will probably happen.

However, as far as backing up data, you can be sure that I will, on occasion with the New 3DS, be removing that cover and physically moving the memory card to a PC to transfer all of the files. Surely though Big N will let people transfer /some/ files wirelessly, I doubt it will let you transfer /all/ files wirelessly. So to make complete backups, removing the memory card to perform the procedure will probably be required.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I won't be one of those running out to get a new system. I am currently using the gold LOZ model, and the only reason that I bought that one was that it was on sale for the same price as the regular one. All things considered, I kind of wish that I had gotten the Mario & Luigi silver model instead.

champion of the year, all years FFStudios's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    wallsmasher64
    Steam
    toxicklay

I have one of the NES themed 3DS XL systems that got discounted shortly before the announcement. Even after the New 3DS announcement, I don't have any need to upgrade it. I bought a 3DS after a 7 year period of not owning any Nintendo ANYTHING and only got it so that I could play a lot of the classic games I never played as a Sony kid. Starfox, Pokemon, TLoZ, there is absolutely nothing that entices me to buy the new console. No interest in Monster Hunter 4, and there's no way Majora's Mask is a New 3DS-only release. The necessity to rush out and buy something that prides itself on a second stick, which in reality is some shady little nub thing that barely has the wherewithal to describe itself as an analog stick, is non-existent on this end.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess another reason that I won't be getting one is that I don't use the 3D at all. I tried it once and immediately turned it off. I would probably have bought a 2DSXL if such a thing existed, but it would probably look almost like a tablet due to the screen size.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Do the screens still scratch each other when the unit is closed?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dashopepper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Yakapucci View Post
    I guess another reason that I won't be getting one is that I don't use the 3D at all. I tried it once and immediately turned it off.
    This is one of the reasons that justifies the upgrade for me. I never play with the 3d on but supposedly the new eye tracking makes a huge difference.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was watching IGN podcast that some guy was complaining that there was no regular 3DS. But if there were no face plates would anyone really care?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I think the image quality isn't as sharp on the XL since it is stretched from the native resolution.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

All three XL models in the DS family have maintained the exact same aspect ratio and the exact same screen resolution as their standard sized counterparts.

Nothing is being "stretched". The upper screen will be 16:9 and the lower screen will be 4:3, just as they are on the regular New Nintendo 3DS or the regular 3DS before it. Everything will be displayed at their correct proportions and at their native resolution.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-14-2016 at 03:19 AM.