Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RetroQuest Games - New GBA Repros (uses new parts) Fire Emblem, Earthbound, DQ, Oriently Blue, more

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default RetroQuest Games - New GBA Repros (uses new parts) Fire Emblem, Earthbound, DQ, Oriently Blue, more

I'm friends with the person who runs RetroQuest Games who does reproductions and the like. Since he hasn't an account on here I offered to copy his 'press release' so anyone could check it if out if they like. There's a series of GBA games that have been done, they're using new parts, so it's not a solder job.

Once in a lifetime opportunity! limited quantities!

I guess you have been wondering why we have been so silent lately; no new releases, no more CIB games, no juice! Well this is because we have been super busy working on the BEST Repro release on the history of Repros!

We have been working in a once in a lifetime, limited quantity, super awesome, super collective, GBA repro release. We have carefully chosen the best GBA translations out there that offer the BEST player experience over all and we have them here for you! We have used ALL of our remaining material for GBA repros that we have on this and we have put all our heart and sweat so you can play these games on your original hardware! So with no further due please be amazed by the list of these new GBA games! By the way, if you are an RPG junkie like us you will love it. The games are up and ready to "Pre-order" on our website (the carts are already made but we are taking pre-orders to be able to sort through shipping and handling). After you purchase you should be able to receive your game(s) within 2–3 weeks depending where does your order stand in the list.

So click this link : http://store.retroquestgames.com/... to buy and be first in line in this limited opportunity.

The titles we have for you are:

Fire Emblem Fuuin no Tsurugi, Dragon Quest Monsters: Caravan Heart, Oriental Blue Ao No Tengai, Invader, Super Robot Taisen J, and Mother 1+2 (Only 1 is translated/saves) This is added to the existing game Mother 3 which has been up for sale for awhile now.

Remember this games have been translated 100% into English and are fully playable, they work on your original GBA hardware and provide you with hours of fun playtime! Soon we will also have Gensou Suikoden Card Stories ready to purchase but we ran into a saving problem.

Spread the word and support this cause! we will use the funds we acquire to bring you more and better projects like this one. If you are planning to order 3 or more please inquiry on our site to provide you a discount coupon.

Don't forget... Keep Retro Gaming Alive!

** Apparently this is supposedly the last release they'll be doing of this kind of stuff, so I guess when it's gone it's gone for good as they're getting out of the racket.
    Last edited by Tanooki; 09-22-2014 at 09:07 AM.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DeadlyMaple
    PSN
    DeadlyMaple
    Steam
    some.nerd

Wow, those prices are pretty great. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah it's not bad. I think he's using the same supplier as DXS over on NA did awhile back for the DQM Caravan Heart game I have (up for sale now, no time for it) and he broke down the costs just in parts. Because I helped him with research and the rest I basically just paid for the pieces and got the label and gba (real) cart shell and shipping free at $35. So at $50-55 for a game with saving on it, it's actually super reasonable as there's not much overhead there if you do the math. I think he said he ordered around 500 carts between the various games too, the largest I think were FE, DQM and Oriental Blue like 130/ea, the rest are just a few copies being less popular (invader, the card capture stuff) so it wasn't a huge mass order which would drop the costs lower.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

and I assume part of the cost is going to the people who put in the hard work to translate the roms right?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

The problem with projects like this is most (not all of course) GBA manufacturers turn around and sell these games to anyone else that's interested rather than keeping the exclusively to the original purchaser. I noticed a half-dozen different GBA manufacturers on a certain website selling the English translated version of Mother 3 for around $4 USD each. Someone had originally went through them in the past for a production run of the cart and it's now openly for sale to anyone.

While the original owner/purchaser in that particular instance has no legal rights to the product it sucks when that happens to a real, original homebrew title. That's just a chance you take when dealing with overseas manufacturers unfortunately.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Blitz you know that's not true, no one ever does that unfortunately. I will say though awhile back he was talking to me about tracking down the translators to offer a cut, never heard if any deals were made so I'd assume probably not.

Az that's an interesting story and I can totally see that. You send some punks a project, they make the project, then screw you with your own data with a contract loophole, or being from HK or the like not caring and then rob you blind. My understanding of it is the RQ stuff is sent blank, data written locally so that's prevented at least. Not like someone couldn't just dump it anyway and do it on their own though.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Blitz you know that's not true, no one ever does that unfortunately.
    Just because it's standard practice doesn't make it ok.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

Well good luck ,I'm sure you'll make lots of money selling other peoples work, probably not the best place to advertise it here, pretty sure DP still has rules about stealing other people's work and trying to sell it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

what exactly is being sold here?

flashcarts running one rom?

are these boxed with custom manuals and such or what?
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

You send some punks a project, they make the project, then screw you with your own data with a contract loophole, or being from HK or the like not caring and then rob you blind.
    Sort of like taking the work of other people and having it manufactured on a cart for profit. I guess it's just something bootleggers have to deal with. It's still cool to own a bootleg of this, though I would never pay that much for it.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Jesus Fucking Christ, those asshats NEVER LEARN.

Get your limited edition bootleg crap now before they get sued to oblivion!

Blitz you know that's not true, no one ever does that unfortunately. I will say though awhile back he was talking to me about tracking down the translators to offer a cut, never heard if any deals were made so I'd assume probably not.
    Yes, because I'm pretty sure we all told RetroQuest to go fuck itself. Well, I did. I think other people may have been nicer about it.
    Last edited by Kitsune Sniper; 09-23-2014 at 07:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Wow did not expect this response, I was just doing a favor. I'm not them I won't get a penny out of it. Considering how many sites seem to quietly give a pass on so called reproduction games I didn't think it would be an issue. If you want someone to attack there's a facebook for them that has put out 'press releases' on doing this, so you can comment there how much they suck.

Satoshi, nothing that interesting, just new boards with the game flashed to it in a normal gba clamshell, no papers as far as I was told.

Gameguy, neither would I. I tend to not pay more for a game than an original retail standard on stuff, $50 is too much, and I really am not interested in those strategy/rpgs in that list. I never said it was 'ok' it just is what it is and I was just being nice posting that, end of story. Biting my head off does no good as I have no say in the matter.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Wow did not expect this response, I was just doing a favor. I'm not them I won't get a penny out of it. Considering how many sites seem to quietly give a pass on so called reproduction games I didn't think it would be an issue. If you want someone to attack there's a facebook for them that has put out 'press releases' on doing this, so you can comment there how much they suck.

Satoshi, nothing that interesting, just new boards with the game flashed to it in a normal gba clamshell, no papers as far as I was told.

Gameguy, neither would I. I tend to not pay more for a game than an original retail standard on stuff, $50 is too much, and I really am not interested in those strategy/rpgs in that list. I never said it was 'ok' it just is what it is and I was just being nice posting that, end of story. Biting my head off does no good as I have no say in the matter.
    Did you already forget the huge fight we had over this in the previous repro thread? The one where several people agreed that selling repro carts with translations was fucking shady? THE ONE YOU STARTED, which you titled "The hypocrisy of reproductions"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah actually I did. I think I said I'm in support of them for expensive games, stuff we didn't get, but only if they didn't mutilate existing games and used new parts. Translations are derivative works anyone of an original foreign language script so it's not like the amateur translators own it anyway. After awhile it went nuts, I mentally checked out, you got up on a platform about glorified bootlegs and I believe I said I'd buy them if the price was right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I love the collectors that get up in arms about destroying carts, but are a-ok with buying other people's stolen work because "It's just not the same experience if it's not on real hardware".

Fucking priorities people.

Or when those same collectors get pissed that someone bootlegs a rare game because it undermines market value, although that's a phenomenon I've only really noticed on NA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    I love the collectors that get up in arms about destroying carts, but are a-ok with buying other people's stolen work because "It's just not the same experience if it's not on real hardware".

Fucking priorities people.

Or when those same collectors get pissed that someone bootlegs a rare game because it undermines market value, although that's a phenomenon I've only really noticed on NA.
    Preach on brotha!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't have priorities, they're just old dead games to me so I just don't care. My caring I do have is I just don't like seeing existing stock cannibalized is all. It's going to happen no matter what, so I'd rather it be with new parts, that's all.

I agree with the NA butthurt behavior as it is no more hypocritical anywhere else than that site when it comes to games and so called repros. It's ok to pilfer NTSC-J or any PAL title, but if you dare try and make a financially responsible rip off of a US game worth hundreds, it's time for a lynching and at least a few crosses to nail the whining martyrs to as well. I found it cute when they mauled a guy who converted Earthbound to a PAL game and was going to produce that for the UK/EU as the howling about wrecking the value of that one went nuts between the dollar sign trolls and the earthbound fanboys in some perfect storm.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    elusiveshame

Just because it's standard practice doesn't make it ok.
    You will see a lot of double standards with this group

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Jesus Fucking Christ, those asshats NEVER LEARN.

Yes, because I'm pretty sure we all told RetroQuest to go fuck itself. Well, I did. I think other people may have been nicer about it.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Did you already forget the huge fight we had over this in the previous repro thread? The one where several people agreed that selling repro carts with translations was fucking shady? THE ONE YOU STARTED, which you titled "The hypocrisy of reproductions"?
    Ha! Now that's just too funny
    Currently Playing: Super Mario RPG (Wii VC), Ghostbusters (Wii), DJ Hero (360, 5* All songs on Expert), Mario Kart Wii

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I don't have priorities, they're just old dead games to me so I just don't care. My caring I do have is I just don't like seeing existing stock cannibalized is all. It's going to happen no matter what, so I'd rather it be with new parts, that's all.

I agree with the NA butthurt behavior as it is no more hypocritical anywhere else than that site when it comes to games and so called repros. It's ok to pilfer NTSC-J or any PAL title, but if you dare try and make a financially responsible rip off of a US game worth hundreds, it's time for a lynching and at least a few crosses to nail the whining martyrs to as well. I found it cute when they mauled a guy who converted Earthbound to a PAL game and was going to produce that for the UK/EU as the howling about wrecking the value of that one went nuts between the dollar sign trolls and the earthbound fanboys in some perfect storm.
    I'm just saying, there's a lot more concern for inanimate objects than there are for people in this hobby. Unless you're talking someone else's bottom line, then suddenly it's major drama.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    I noticed a half-dozen different GBA manufacturers on a certain website selling the English translated version of Mother 3 for around $4 USD each. Someone had originally went through them in the past for a production run of the cart and it's now openly for sale to anyone.
    There was a thread on Nintendo Age with someone planning to order 1000 carts for $3200, I'm not sure if he went through with the order though.

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/mes...threadid=46334

By chance, Tanooki happened to be the first person to reply to that thread. $3.20 per game does seem more reasonable for something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    While the original owner/purchaser in that particular instance has no legal rights to the product it sucks when that happens to a real, original homebrew title. That's just a chance you take when dealing with overseas manufacturers unfortunately.
    In a way it's funny how people are surprised with this, a company has no problems with producing and selling pirated products and people are surprised that they will continue to produce and sell these items after the initial order is completed. It's almost like you can't trust criminals.

I get bothered when uncommon good games get destroyed to make bootlegs, it just makes it harder to find these good games. I still like the idea of owning games that are otherwise not available, of course I'd rather there would be legit versions available instead. I'm sure plenty of people here collect pirates, bootlegs, and multicarts so it's not like everyone here is perfect. I guess it feels more appropriate if these are bought second hand as the pirates don't get money this way.

I'm personally bothered by this because it makes it easier to get ripped off when buying rarer games, with good labels you can't really tell if something is fake until you see it in person. I've seen someone locally sell their NES collection on craigslist and there was a copy of Stadium Events in one of the pictures, the label was poor quality though so I knew it was fake. If the label looked high quality and I bought a large lot just to get a single game that turned out to be fake, I'd be pretty upset. It's also why I dislike replacement labels.

It's ok to pilfer NTSC-J or any PAL title, but if you dare try and make a financially responsible rip off of a US game worth hundreds, it's time for a lynching and at least a few crosses to nail the whining martyrs to as well.
    It's the difference between a bootleg and a counterfeit. Maybe you could look into the difference to better understand it?