Thread: Value of Gameboy/Gameboy Color collection?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Value of Gameboy/Gameboy Color collection?

Looking to get rid of these two handhelds since I haven't really used them in a 10-15 years or so.

Gameboy Original - In pretty good shape no scuffs scratches or anything but it's not turning on for some reason which is odd because it worked perfectly last time I played it.

Gameboy Color - Lime green, in near mint condition on the outside and it works flawlessly.

Games: All work perfectly no manuals or boxes though.
    Spy vs. Spy (Color)
    Super Mario Deluxe (Color)
    WWF Attitude (Color)
    Tetris
    WWF Superstars
    WWF Warzone
    WWF Wrestlemania 2000

Nothing rare or out of the ordinary but wondering what the approximate value of this collection would be as I'm mainly looking to trade it for NES or SMS systems, games, or accessories.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Maybe around $30 for everything. It doesn't help that your original Gameboy is dead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ahh you're low. The lime GBC alone is worth $15-20 (probably $20 in his case if it is that minty.) A busted GB is worth a good $5-10 just for the parts if they're in fantastic shape as they can be farmed for another unit. SOmeone could have working guts but a wrecked body or whatever the case.

SMB Deluxe GBC on average sells for $8. I not too long ago earlier this year got around $5 for old Tetris, and Spy vs Spy GBC is a $5 bill too. The other games you probably could average at $1 to be safe each. Mind you I"m talking breaking it all up, in a package it would be less.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

So maybe $40? That's sort of what I figured. I'm gonna take the gameboy apart whenever I get time and try to figure out what the issue is imagine just cleaning it would probably do wonders since it's been in a box for 15 years.

Hopefully I can find somebody that'd be willing to trade for some NES games.
    Last edited by drunk3nj3sus; 10-09-2014 at 01:30 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well if you can get the GB open it could be a loose wire that could use a spot of solder, loose something or other in there, it's just too hard to tell but if it looks that great on the outside I doubt it was abused. If you can save it, those oddly enough are worth a little bit of money when they're in complete solid good shape as a collectible to old Nintendo gamers.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Well if you can get the GB open it could be a loose wire that could use a spot of solder, loose something or other in there, it's just too hard to tell but if it looks that great on the outside I doubt it was abused. If you can save it, those oddly enough are worth a little bit of money when they're in complete solid good shape as a collectible to old Nintendo gamers.
    Turned out their wasn't anything really wrong with it I hooked a AC adapter to it and it came right on, so I took a q-tip w/ alcohol and cleaned the battery compartment and it fired right up... then saw about 1/8" of the right side of the screens pixels aren't working seems like a common problem and a quick fix though. Doesn't hinder gameplay at all though I ended up playing tetris for a half hour+ I kinda zoned out, makes more sense to fix it though since it's pretty simple.

So what would this be worth with both gameboys working perfectly? $50-$60 maybe? Looking to trade this so just trying to get a rough number to go off of value-wise. Think I have a super gameboy that's still in the original box at my parents that may be worth more than this whole set with how OCD collectors are.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well if this GB is more or less complete (I don't ever expect to see the little plastic cap over the link cable port anymore) and it's as sparkling pretty as you say it is once you fix the pixel row, you could safely get $30 for the original DMG Gameboy, if you found the right mark and were patient maybe an added $5-10 extremely tops on it.

The GBC Lime like I said is a fair $20 bill on its own, so you're around $50 between the pair. The games are what they are. Now the SGB isn't worth a whole hell of a lot as it's limited by the capabilities of the GB Player since then and other stuff like even the Retron 5. While it is complete, you do realize there's 2 forms of complete on that you'll want to research on ebay for paid sales -- BIG BoX (which has the full size SGB players guide inside) and then a small box that just has a normal manual only.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well if this GB is more or less complete (I don't ever expect to see the little plastic cap over the link cable port anymore) and it's as sparkling pretty as you say it is once you fix the pixel row, you could safely get $30 for the original DMG Gameboy, if you found the right mark and were patient maybe an added $5-10 extremely tops on it.

The GBC Lime like I said is a fair $20 bill on its own, so you're around $50 between the pair. The games are what they are. Now the SGB isn't worth a whole hell of a lot as it's limited by the capabilities of the GB Player since then and other stuff like even the Retron 5. While it is complete, you do realize there's 2 forms of complete on that you'll want to research on ebay for paid sales -- BIG BoX (which has the full size SGB players guide inside) and then a small box that just has a normal manual only.
    Ebay was kinda mixed on the super gameboy anywhere from 10-40 loose and boxed went from like 40-100+ so I dunno on that because of the stuff you mentioned I'm guessing the value's sort of varied, mines the one w/ the regular snes sized manual I'm guessing that's probably worth less

here's pics of the two GB's (cell camera sorta sucks)

Can't see it but yeah the cable cap's missing, fixing the OG GB will be fairly easy finding somebody interested in trading these for a similarly valued lot of nes games I'm interested in will probably be difficult, selling it wouldn't get me too far because of shipping unless I come across a decent lot I like but most end up having mostly games I already have

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well they're dirty, the back stickers are damaged too, but I can't see how physically the screens are or bodies for scrape and scuff with that fuzzy camera. I'd not put them in the high end I marked for prices, they're in the middle. If you could eek out $40 between the two I'd be more than happy with that, probably closer to the $30+ price though.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well they're dirty, the back stickers are damaged too, but I can't see how physically the screens are or bodies for scrape and scuff with that fuzzy camera. I'd not put them in the high end I marked for prices, they're in the middle. If you could eek out $40 between the two I'd be more than happy with that, probably closer to the $30+ price though.
    Thanks for the expertise, think at ~$30 I'll just hold on to them unless I find somebody locally that's interested in a trade, they are a bit dirty as is, going to give them both a good cleaning when I get the bit to repair the original gameboy's screen