Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Console Wars SNES vs. Sega Genesis

Insert Coin (Level 0) genesisguy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    It was a general statement due to the amount of chest thump Sega tools for two decades now talking how the SNES doesn't have shooters, or that they're slow with graphical drop out like Gradius was the only game. It really isn't true as there are a lot on the SNES, even more with SFC factored in, but really there are many and many that are good to great.
    Chest thump Sega tools? That's a good one.

I'll agree those games you listed for the SNES are good to great. Probably more so leaning to the good side, but that's a personal opinion. That said there's twice as many great Genesis shoot em ups. Is there where I list them all and thump my chest? But seriously I guess it comes down to personal opinion really. The way I came to this decision was in loading flash carts for both the Genesis and SNES with their shoot em up libraries. At the end of the day the Genesis has more "great" shoot em ups. And I do remember the slow down was present on more than just Gradius III.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well it sounded nicer than the cliched fanboy rap. I've just seen it online back into the mid90s how the SNES has no shooters and/or no quality shooters and how the Sega system has vastly more and better stuff. Physical total perhaps there is more, I never counted or cared to, but sometimes you find that quantity and quality don't match up. Sometimes more isn't better, but sometimes more better is ideal.

Google that shumps website, it may not be updated really anymore but it does have a generally solid list of shooters for each platform and various games end up having reviews, some by the stage with images.

I remember Super R-Type having the slowdown problem, as does Parodius 2 when you get the screen fully loaded (minor but you notice it, at least the visuals don't tear, and Parodius 3 is special chipped so it's fine.)

I don't understand the comment of between the SNES, Genesis and TG16 that there's deficiencies in each library you have to own them all. Cleary the TG16 does lack some genres entirely or damn near it (kind of like N64 lacked a few things.) I don't remember the SNES or really the Genesis lacking in anything really. Sure both got their own obscure PC releases (SNES-Wing Commander, Gen-Star Control) and arcade conversions and all that plus the unique games, but neither really 'lack' other than exclusives.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

SuperNes has nice shooters. The problem is that the Genesis has many more.

Same thing with the Saturn and the Playstation. Playstation was no slouch in the 2D department or the shooter genre, the Saturn just was even better at it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I don't understand the comment of between the SNES, Genesis and TG16 that there's deficiencies in each library you have to own them all. Cleary the TG16 does lack some genres entirely or damn near it (kind of like N64 lacked a few things.) I don't remember the SNES or really the Genesis lacking in anything really.
    There is more to the TG-16 overseas as a the pc engine than what is released in the states if you combine HU-Card with the CD part of the system. You are missing something with the TG-16 if you don't have it if you are fan some genres. The TG-16 is a must have system if you love shooters. Too bad The Pc Engine DUO R is so expansive and the Turbo Duo has a history of durability problems.

The other thing is if you are of action rpgs, the Pc Engine has the ys series. No offense the SNES, the series is designed to be disc based not cartridge.

The Genesis is lacking in a few areas. I own the system since December of 1992. The Sega Genesis downfall is more than graphics and sound compare to the SNES. The Sega Genesis doesn't have the depth in a couple genres. The Sega Genesis isn't that strong in the RPG Genre. Phantasy Star Series and Shining Forces series is it for RPG that you can see that are great for the Genesis in the RPG genre. The SNES really beaten the Sega Genesis in the RPG Genre in pure amount and Quality.

When it comes to Zelda type games, the Sega Genesis also isn't the strongest at although Land Stalker and Crusader of Centy are great.

The SNES that Shooter issue although it does has a nice lineup based on the amount the Genesis has like LEO mentioned. I also agree with LEO on the Saturn. The Playstation had good shooters, but the Saturn is stronger with it. I am saying that since I do have some import Saturn games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 7th lutz View Post
    The Sega Genesis isn't that strong in the RPG Genre. Phantasy Star Series and Shining Forces series is it for RPG that you can see that are great for the Genesis in the RPG genre. The SNES really beaten the Sega Genesis in the RPG Genre in pure amount and Quality.

When it comes to Zelda type games, the Sega Genesis also isn't the strongest at although Land Stalker and Crusader of Centy are great.
    This is untrue. If you factor in imports, the Genesis and Sega CD combine for over 70 RPGs. In fact, the system has almost as many RPGs as it does shooters.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I cried when my brother got a Genesis for Christmas and I got a Super Nintendo. So Sega has that going for them. For those wondering why we got two consoles, my brother lived with his mom and she is the one that got him that. The only reason I remember crying was because Sonic was faster than Mario. I played Mario World and saw Yoshi and I was content again. I love both systems so much.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

As others have said, there really isn't any point in limiting yourself to just one of the two these days, both systems have some really great titles and some really stinkers too. I generally enjoy both systems, about the only "this is better than that" arguments I can really field are for the cross-platform games like Disney's Aladdin and The Adventures of Batman & Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by Casati View Post
    Which console has the best Boogerman?
    Genesis version seems to be the most often lauded.

Quote Originally Posted by Koa Zo View Post
    That's a dumb comment.
    That sentiment may have held some ground back in 1994. But now through the broader awareness provided by the World Wide Web, only an ignoramus would draw such a conclusion.
    It would strengthen your point a bit if you'd provide a few examples instead of just being condescending.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    This is untrue. If you factor in imports, the Genesis and Sega CD combine for over 70 RPGs. In fact, the system has almost as many RPGs as it does shooters.
    I didn't count import RPG or Sega CD rpgs for a reason. While Sega CD is an add-on, it really shouldn't count for a lot of Sega Genesis owners.

I know about Sega CD since 1992, but it only sold around 3 million units. I never owned Sega CD matter of fact. That add-on does have some good games, but I don't like the durability of the system based on what I read.

I am aware of Popful Mail, the 2 lunar games, vay and the Shining Force game for Sega CD. I remembered the reviews back in the 1990's.

I don't count rpgs that aren't translated due to the fact I don't read Japanese. When I buy imports for systems like the Sega Saturn, I make sure they are not text heavy such as shoot'em ups.

Sega Genesis also didn't get a lot of RPG's that are fully translated after it was discontinued in 1998 unlike the Snes. The Snes even has RPG hacks.

The only fully translated Genesis Rpg games done after 1998 are blue almanac, Beggar Prince, King Colossus and Legend of Wukong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

There is more to the TG-16 overseas as a the pc engine than what is released in the states if you combine HU-Card with the CD part of the system. You are missing something with the TG-16 if you don't have it if you are fan some genres. The TG-16 is a must have system if you love shooters. Too bad The Pc Engine DUO R is so expansive and the Turbo Duo has a history of durability problems...
    I agree but given this was straight up about SNES, Genesis (and TG16 got thrown in and not so much about SFC, MD, and PCE I limited it to US titles and split that in my other post to say ...and more.) I had a Duo back in the 90s and earlier 00s so trust me I know how lacking the US HuCard and CD market was compared to Japan, a good many of my discs were imports. I also agree with you about Ys, yet I do have Ys3 (assholes totally neutered the great original cut scene visuals into trash) as it did work best on a disc, even the modern revisits on Windows while digital in Japan are on disc too.

I was trying to not start a fanboy fight so I left the lacking Genesis bit off. I'm aware it's short on a few things, but it wasn't as bad at all as TG16 (US only) was. The following is based on the US system alone and no-addon units (SCD.) It clearly is older hardware considering design times and release (89) to the SNES (90/91) and they both have strengths. Genesis has the raw faster main CPU clock speed, but the SNES gets it in the end with the DMA, 32K color palette (256~ on screen), and the audio (though some prefer Yamaha over sound samples SPC700 -- I don't.) Genesis was weak in RPG, but not like N64 weak in them and it did have some interesting other ARPG/RPG games that weren't of those 2 series. SNES had leagues more RPG, a wider spread than even the perceived vs reality of shooters Genesis had over SNES, but ulimately yes the quality aspect (audio/visual) among other things the SNES did edge it out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I was trying to not start a fanboy fight so I left the lacking Genesis bit off. I'm aware it's short on a few things, but it wasn't as bad at all as TG16 (US only) was. The following is based on the US system alone and no-addon units (SCD.) It clearly is older hardware considering design times and release (89) to the SNES (90/91) and they both have strengths. Genesis has the raw faster main CPU clock speed, but the SNES gets it in the end with the DMA, 32K color palette (256~ on screen), and the audio (though some prefer Yamaha over sound samples SPC700 -- I don't.) Genesis was weak in RPG, but not like N64 weak in them and it did have some interesting other ARPG/RPG games that weren't of those 2 series. SNES had leagues more RPG, a wider spread than even the perceived vs reality of shooters Genesis had over SNES, but ulimately yes the quality aspect (audio/visual) among other things the SNES did edge it out.
    I never had any admitting the Genesis is weaker in Graphics and Sound compare to the Snes although there is some genesis game music that I always liked.

When it comes to the TG-16, I only have the US hu-cards. I did play a small of CD games the Wii that was on the virtual game console. If it wasn't for the internet years ago, I wouldn't have considered a Tg-16 although I saw games for it Christmas Catalogs and at some stores like toys r us. I found it to be a hidden gem of the system based on what I own.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't count import RPG or Sega CD rpgs for a reason. While Sega CD is an add-on, it really shouldn't count for a lot of Sega Genesis owners.

I know about Sega CD since 1992, but it only sold around 3 million units. I never owned Sega CD matter of fact. That add-on does have some good games, but I don't like the durability of the system based on what I read.

I am aware of Popful Mail, the 2 lunar games, vay and the Shining Force game for Sega CD. I remembered the reviews back in the 1990's.
    Why not count it? It's not 1992, and CD systems are quite cheap and easy to find. The games are a lot more affordable than most SNES RPGs, for sure.

I don't count rpgs that aren't translated due to the fact I don't read Japanese. When I buy imports for systems like the Sega Saturn, I make sure they are not text heavy such as shoot'em ups.
    Are we discussing how many RPGs there are or how many you're willing to play. I was under the impression that we were talking about available games.

Sega Genesis also didn't get a lot of RPG's that are fully translated after it was discontinued in 1998 unlike the Snes. The Snes even has RPG hacks.

The only fully translated Genesis Rpg games done after 1998 are blue almanac, Beggar Prince, King Colossus and Legend of Wukong.
    Again, untrue. There is also Nadia: Secret of Blue Water, Monster World IV, King Colossus, Psy-O-Blade, Langrisser 2, all the Phantasy Star text adventures, Barver Battle Saga, among others. Surging Aura and Shadowrun (Sega CD) are currently being translated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Why not count it? It's not 1992, and CD systems are quite cheap and easy to find.
    I think you need to update your info, my friend.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    I think you need to update your info, my friend.
    Unless you're looking for a boxed system, model 2 Sega CDs don't go for that much on eBay, and they're likely cheaper locally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nice to see that even though the site is dead the Nintendo apologist are still strong on this site. Somethings never change...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hep038 View Post
    Nice to see that even though the site is dead the Nintendo apologist are still strong on this site. Somethings never change...
    I hope are not calling me a Nintendo apologist because I am a realist that hasn't been loyal to video game console maker since 1994. The Fanboy part of the 16 bit is something I don't miss and I learned the lesson of not being loyal to any game console maker.

I was a Sega Fanboy for a short time because a SNES Fanboy actually caused to become a Sega Fanboy because of the personal insults that person did again my parents without knowing them because my parents me gave a Sega Genesis Model 1 as a Christmas gift in 1992. The Fanboy did false claims like them doing drugs other stuff made that Fanboy hated the fact I got a game console different than he has. The fact is I thought at the time there were more SNES Fanboys out that did that crap as that one did and I didn't want to a SNES a result for a time.

The Sega Genesis Model 1 actually was a Christmas gift I didn't have on my Christmas list although I enjoyed playing SNES and Genesis games kiosks at stores.

The Snes Fanboy found out about me getting the Sega Genesis because he overhead another student asking me what I got for Christmas and went way overboard on me as a result.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Eh. Personally I prefer the US side of Sega RPG releases to those on the SNES. It isn't until you start to factor in fan translations that the SNES wins me over.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

If you wanted more proof of me not being a Nintendo apologist besides that bad Experience that the SNES Fanboy did to me years ago I have it.

I am an owner of Sega Genesis model 1, 32x, sega master system model 1 and 2, dreamcast, nomad, Game Gear, and Sega Saturn.

I don't have every Nintendo system ever made and I don't a Game boy,Virtual Boy, Nintendo 64 and I have no plans of a Wii U. Me not having all Nintendo systems and not wanting to buy the 4 I mentioned is a sign of a person who isn't a Nintendo Fanboy. I don't have a gameboy since I have GBC, and GBA in the Game Boy series instead.

I am more than willing to even to list me top 75 games for the Sega Genesis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Ditto for Genny apologists.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Again, untrue. There is also Nadia: Secret of Blue Water, Monster World IV, King Colossus, Psy-O-Blade, Langrisser 2, all the Phantasy Star text adventures, Barver Battle Saga, among others. Surging Aura and Shadowrun (Sega CD) are currently being translated.
    I did mention games that are fully translated and that is I didn't mention Surging Aura for that reason.

I did mention King Colossus in my first reply to you since I actually own the translated version of the game.

Monster World IV is a game that I own, but it is hard for me to call it an rpg and it is the same with landstalker. The fact is While Monster World does have some Rpg elements, I don't think it the rpg experience points since it has been a while I played it. I actually forgot about Barver Battle Saga since I own a translated version of the game, but I really haven't played it much yet.

I forgot about the Phantasy Star Text Adventures due to the fact I usually don't see any translated versions of that game. I thought the Langrisser series was a strategy game series without any rpg elements before I had to double check.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I was thinking that, but didn't want to go there to feed that post. I haven't played favorites with a system since the 90s either. I buy what gets games I want and can't get elsewhere. The only holdout I suppose is Microsoft. You couldn't give me a system of theirs to use, I'd sell it. They make not one game unique to their systems I'd ever want or think was even remotely fun other than the original Halo which was ok and on PC, but it stems to their bad relationship they created with the tactics in the computer market causing a total lack of trust and given how shoddy that 360 was too.