Thread: Playstation TV - Will it breath life into the VITA?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Playstation TV - Will it breath life into the VITA?

http://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/playstationtv/

I think at $99 the Playstation TV console is a great move for Sony. I personally think it will breath some life into the Vita since it will be the first way to allow you to play Vita games on TV. I also like that Playstation Now will allow people to play PS3 games on the Vita without even owning a PS3 (if I am understanding the concept correctly). I have always owned a Vita and I think that it will make things more interesting as now I can play my Vita games on TV and I will be able to play PS3 games now (considering I've never owned a PS3).

Do you think this will breath some life into the Vita? Do you think this will get people to purchase Vita games even if they do not own a Vita since it will have a Vita card slot built in? Maybe it will possibly spur people to buy the handheld?

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Oldskool; 10-14-2014 at 01:17 AM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

If Sony released in the west last year when it released in Japan, yeah, it would have helped. Now? No. Amazon Fire TV is out and it's a better quality product, not limited to 720p. It's got far more apps that are usable just through Amazon, anything from Google Play is possible(not officially,) and if someone wanted to play everything the Vita could play and then some(aside from Vita only games,) the Amazon Fire TV can emulate everything playable on PSP and up to the Dreamcast full speed. Also can use four controllers at once.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It appears you're right, if the PS3 game isn't I suppose too taxing as it's still beefier than a PS3, and it's on their full game download services, it will work on the Vita if Sony flags it to like that long list on that link you gave. That's pretty interesting if you don't mind digital downloads. I think it's a pretty neat box at least for allowing the use of Vita games on a TV. I see is does remote PS4 play, but can it alone use a pS4 controller? I'd hope as it would make for games like Uncharted to be playable since it used the Vita's touch sensor for some gameplay mechanics.

I could never see myself blowing $100 on it, but that said, if I found one for around 1/2 that price or got it as a gift I'd keep and use it. I had a Vita once with 5 games (4 which I really liked) and there's probably another 10~ games I would like to take a crack at. I don't think I'd find much other use for it seeing that it would be on the same TV as the PS4 which is a shame. I'd think if I could get a new Vita for $100 I'd still take that over it but it is a cool device for those wanting a set top box and don't like little handheld screens. THis probably will help sell a few Vita games but I doubt enough to really make a dent.

Edit: I just skimmed the Vita compatibility list, of the games I had, it appears Hot Shots, Lumines, Uncharted, Katamari don't work -- that's bs. Just the one I didn't like does - UMvsC3.
    Last edited by Tanooki; 10-14-2014 at 08:44 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I cancelled my preorder.

At least for me, what it currently does just isn't enough. I don't have a PS4. Most of the Vita games I like wont work on it.

I want to see more reviews and Youtube videos before considering it.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Was considering one of these since it sounded like a cool idea, but now, I don' t think it's that good of an investment. I can't figure out who the target audience is for this item. There is a Vita TV bundle that includes The Lego Movie, so are they trying to attract kids? Or, is it a niche product for hardcore gamers who probably already own a Vita and want to play the games they already own on the big screen? I don't really see too much of a point of owning it since the original Vita's screen looks great to me, and the Vita TV's onboard memory is only 1 gb, which means that you still rely on Sony's extremely overpriced memory cards to save any of the games. At this point, my next Sony product would be a PS3 with a 500 gb hard drive on it so I can finally download the majority of my digital PS3 backlog or a hard drive for my 120 gb slim, which from what I've read is a bit difficult to install.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by josekortez View Post
    which from what I've read is a bit difficult to install.
    http://joypadandme.com/tech-tips/tec...im-hard-drive/
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.