Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HD Retrovision High Definition Super Nintendo & Sega Genesis Component Cables

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    I'm wondering if Sega's use of 3 different possible RGB encoder circuits in the Genesis 2 will make / is making this difficult.
    Wouldn't know, but I'm pretty sure those who use a SCART solution on the Genesis II don't have issues.

Quote Originally Posted by CRTGAMER View Post
    Actually, the HDCRT (I use HDCRT WEGAs) would be the better choice to guarantee 480p and all the way up to 1080i. Even 240p/480i signals look great on a HDCRT if you don't need use of a retro Lightgun. A loss of the scan lines, but the picture is very sharp and clear even on the older consoles.

Be careful, many Wega models and other brands have Component inputs but only support 480i. There are some ED models that do support 480p and no higher, these will only work with certain Lightguns such as the Guncon 2 that has a 480p option. For the HDTVs there are some games such as Wii House of the Dead that work very well with the "Lightgun Wiimotes".
    Some people never use them, but I personally use light guns and Segascope 3d glasses, so I can't lose that functionality. Yes it won't be true 480p but I can live with it.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Unless I remembered it wrong I said 'NES Zapper like' as in something that looks like it but can somehow use the old games like Duck Hunt on a modern system. Maybe they plan some accessory for the Retron5, I have no idea, and they're gauging interest. I just know I clicked on that one, and then the new faceplates for gb micro too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I'll be looking for a component CRT tv with a curved screen to maintain full retro compatibility.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    I'll be looking for a component CRT tv with a curved screen to maintain full retro compatibility.
    As long as it is SD, a good flat tube will not only retain full compatability but will have better geometry as well.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RP2A03 View Post
    As long as it is SD, a good flat tube will not only retain full compatability but will have better geometry as well.
    I've heard flat tubes mess up light guns.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I never had an issue using a zapper or the sms light phaser on a 29" Sony WEGA which was my last TV until I got my first flat panel LCD in the mid 00s.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've heard flat tubes mess up light guns.
    As long as it is SD, it will work just fine. Doing a quick Google search, I can't believe just how prevalent this myth is. It doesn't even make sense, although, it has been suggested that VSM could be a problem. At least that sounds plausible.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Einzelherz's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While this setup would be cleaner than the rgb-component box and cables I spent months sorting out, I don't assume it'll be any different. I do hope they intend to use better quality jacks than what the early revision photos show.

But if they could manage this for ~$25 a cable, I think there would be a landrush.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RP2A03 View Post
    As long as it is SD, it will work just fine. Doing a quick Google search, I can't believe just how prevalent this myth is. It doesn't even make sense, although, it has been suggested that VSM could be a problem. At least that sounds plausible.
    James Rolfe has said his flat CRT doesn't work with light guns.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have many flat CRT's and the only ones I have found that consistently work with light guns are Sony TV's. YMMV though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

James Rolfe has said his flat CRT doesn't work with light guns.
    I just tried the zapper on my flat tube and it works perfectly, VSM on or not. It is a JVC I'Art AV-27F734.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

They now have the Kickstarter up and it's going to be $35 per cable. I think that's pretty good considering the difference, especially on the Genesis. To even come close you would have to mod the Genesis for s-video which is a PITA or get a SCART cable and a converter which will cost about twice what this cable will and can also be a slight PITA. AS for the SNES you have the same issue with SCART cables and converters and if you want a first party s-video cable it will cost you at least $40.

For $35 a cable, they can shut up and take my money. I pledged for three cables. And what's even better is that the model 1 genesis cable will work with the model 1 SMS as well. The model 2 will work with the 32X and the Nomad as well as the JVC X-Eye and CDX. The SNES cable will work only with the model 1 SNES, but if you mod the model 2 or your N64 for RGB it will work with those as well.

On top of it all, if this is successful they will move on to other cables. Like the expensive ass component cable for the GameCube. I think anyone that plays on these consoles should consider supporting this. I think this is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Champion View Post
    Well OK. Besides that, I must be missing something - I just don't see how it's possible from a composite signal.
    You are.

The cable isn't using the composite signal. The Genesis model 1 and 2 and the model 1 SNES output RGB natively. The cable is taking that RGB signal and transcoding it via a chip inside the cable. This is all explained very well on their site.
    Last edited by Polygon; 11-02-2014 at 03:00 PM.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Gaming before CDs came out the_importer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question remains, if you mod an AV Famicom or N64 for RGB, can you use the SNES component cables that these guys are making?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes you could but I think each cable is made specificity for each system,might get mixed results on a rgb modded fami or n64.

And Polygon,only a pal gamecube can output rgb,so using one of the those cable on a jpn or US gamecube wont work at all,they can only output composite,s-video and component.

Gaming before CDs came out the_importer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pikkon View Post
    Yes you could but I think each cable is made specificity for each system,might get mixed results on a rgb modded fami or n64.

And Polygon,only a pal gamecube can output rgb,so using one of the those cable on a jpn or US gamecube wont work at all,they can only output composite,s-video and component.
    You're probably right, I wouldn't waste money on this at $35 a pop.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

I know that. That's not what I'm saying when talking about the GameCube. I'm saying that they're hinting at reproducing the expensive component cables used on the digital port and making them more affordable.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Think there's someone else working on a cheap solution for the gamecube component cable.

I think it's just insane how expensive these cables are considering are how cheap a wii is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Clearly wii hardware is different enough to keep people from tanking the value on GC component cables by gutting chips from wiis.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Would be nice to see a cheap GameCube component cable.

Despite the Wii, component video support for the Game Boy Player is a selling point (And it even outputs at 480p). And I suspect some would also like to return to playing GameCube games on their GameCube, with no need to have a Wii remote out just to start a game thanks to Nintendo's failure to include a boot to disc option at system start-up (Although I hear that homebrewers have resolved this for those willing to investigate).

Especially if they're like me and have moved to playing their Wii games on their Wii U thanks to its upscaling capabilities and automatic handling of aspect ratios (Instead of you having to manually turn stretch mode on and off as appropriate with your tv remote).

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by the_importer View Post
    Question remains, if you mod an AV Famicom or N64 for RGB, can you use the SNES component cables that these guys are making?
    I can't answer for them, but I can't see why not? I have a well shielded SCART cable that I use on the SNES, RGB N64, and the expensively modded RGB NES. I also think they need to shield their cables more, those look kind of thin.

Think there's someone else working on a cheap solution for the gamecube component cable.

I think it's just insane how expensive these cables are considering are how cheap a wii is.
    Not to my knowledge. The work that's been done has been to install a board into the Gamecube.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK