Thread: Commodore 64 Monitor purchase advise

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Commodore 64 Monitor purchase advise

So, I am looking for a great monitor to play single player NES on. I would like to get a Commadore 64 monitor, as I hear they are some of the best quality monitors out there. They are small, yes, so for multiplayer, the size won't be an issue as I have another TV to use. However, what would you guys recommend for a C64 monitor? I'd like one that can handle S-video as well as rf and standard av as well. Thanks in advance!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I can definitely recommend the Commodore 1084S-D1 monitor. It's a classic. Doesn't have S-Video, although there is an adapter I think you can get that will do S-Video. It will do composite video, and it also is a great analog RGB monitor, if you ever got your NES system modded for RGB output.

Even if you don't do the RGB mod, the NES will look great on it.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The 1701 and 1702 monitors work great. They were built by JVC and have proven very reliable, and the cube shape makes it easy to stack things on them. They have chroma/luma input, which is like an earlier version of S-video, as well as composite. Watch out for broken control cover hinges (or missing covers) which kinda ruins the look.

The 1902, 2002, 1080, 1084, and 1084S monitors also work well and support some RGB modes.

The 1902A, 1084P, and 1084S-P models built by Philips work OK but (sometimes) lack the chroma/luma input and/or use DIN connectors which can be hard to find. I say sometimes because there seem to be multiple variants of some of these models.

I'd avoid the 1802 and CM-141 as they have reliability issues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Edit: it was the 1902!

For years I used the 1902, which is a C=128 monitor. It doesn't have s-video, but even composite looks beautiful.

Last edited by Gentlegamer; 11-08-2014 at 10:36 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Scotterpop's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Have you considered getting a Sony PVM series monitor instead? It'll give you the s-video input you're looking for and offer you a range of screen sizes to choose from. I've owned Commodore monitors and the displays are quite good but they can't touch the clarity and customization options of the PVM series. Best tube display image I've ever seen!
    Death to Videodrome! Long live the new flesh!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I pulled my 1902 out of storage to test it, still works, but the top fifth and bottom third of the screen have color problems. I wish I knew how to repair it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scotterpop View Post
    Have you considered getting a Sony PVM series monitor instead? It'll give you the s-video input you're looking for and offer you a range of screen sizes to choose from. I've owned Commodore monitors and the displays are quite good but they can't touch the clarity and customization options of the PVM series. Best tube display image I've ever seen!
    The PVMs are very good monitors, Commodore monitors too are pretty good. The Commodore 1701 and 1702 monitors do have the SVideo Chroma and Luma inputs at the back as RCA inputs, just need to convert the standard SVideo 4 pin plug cable to two RCA cables.
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Insert Coin (Level 0) Pr3tty F1y's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CRTGAMER View Post
    The PVMs are very good monitors, Commodore monitors too are pretty good. The Commodore 1701 and 1702 monitors do have the SVideo Chroma and Luma inputs at the back as RCA inputs, just need to convert the standard SVideo 4 pin plug cable to two RCA cables.
    I'm not an expert on that monitor, but looks like this should do the trick, no?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pr3tty F1y View Post
    I'm not an expert on that monitor, but looks like this should do the trick, no?
    That will work for DVD players that have a standard SVideo output jack. For game consoles, you need a female jack on the cable.
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scotterpop View Post
    What size ranges does the PVM line offer?

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

13'' are pretty common. You want to mod your NES with an NESRGB and get the right SCART cable to do it right. Other systems support RGB and just need the correct cable.

Anything bigger than 13" is going to be expensive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ZP3 View Post
    What size ranges does the PVM line offer?

You can get 25 inch and 27 inch PVM's, and they might even have one size larger, but it's been my experience to avoid getting one bigger than 20 inches. I've tried about 5 different Sony PVM's in the 25 inch and 27 inch sizes, and they ALL had issues. Also, they just didn't have the sharpness and clarity of the 20 inch versions. I think it's a big mistake to get anything bigger than a 20 inch PVM if you're talking about their 4:3 CRT monitors.

There is a Mitsubishi Megaview that people rave about, that is 27 inches, but those babies are hard to find and extremely expensive.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Scotterpop's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The 20" version is the PVM that I use. It has a perfectly flat square casing that is ideal for stacking systems or AV components on top of, which is a VERY useful feature. It even has a 16:9 display mode!
    Death to Videodrome! Long live the new flesh!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I'm using an old 4:3 projector I bought for $20 that only has composite inputs to play my SNES in the living room these days. Something to think about if you're looking for size
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.