Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In the market for a new CRT TV

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default In the market for a new CRT TV

So, I am looking for a "new" CRT TV for my retrogaming needs. I saw a flatter RCA model with s-vid support on craigslist for $10. The TV is 28 inches, and I was curious if RCA made good TVs. Thanks fellow compatriots

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZP3 View Post
    So, I am looking for a "new" CRT TV for my retrogaming needs. I saw a flatter RCA model with s-vid support on craigslist for $10. The TV is 28 inches, and I was curious if RCA made good TVs. Thanks fellow compatriots
    I would search on Craigslist for a PVM or RGB monitor. If you want something cheap I would hold out for a Sony CRT with at least component and 480P for best results up to the PS2 era. I am sure most people you would be buying from might be open to letting you take one of your favorite systems and testing it out before you buy it.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

For $10, wouldn't it make sense to just get it and make up your own mind?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

It sounds good. The extra sharpness of component is useful on larger sets. But too new and you risk light guns not working.
    Lum fan.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unless for some reason the good stuff is hard to come by, I would wait for something better. Things to look for include a real flat tube and component inputs. The best sets will have dynamic focus and convergence. If you get a set with velocity scan modulation (VSM, SM), make sure it can be disabled. This "feature" will appear to give you a sharper picture, but it creates distortions. If you care about light guns or having scanlines, then an SDTV is a must. WEGAs are good; but JVC, Panasonic, and Toshiba also made good TVs. If you see a TV that looks like it might be good, get the model number and research it. That TV will likely be around for a few days, if not weeks. Goodwill is also a good place to look for TVs, or at least they are where I am.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Not sure exactly where you're located but checking out the Iowa craigslist and nearby areas listings, there are several free Sony TVs available.

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/ele/4754077939.html
    http://desmoines.craigslist.org/zip/4754064163.html
    http://desmoines.craigslist.org/zip/4734995272.html

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Not sure exactly where you're located but checking out the Iowa craigslist and nearby areas listings, there are several free Sony TVs available.

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/ele/4754077939.html
    http://desmoines.craigslist.org/zip/4754064163.html
    http://desmoines.craigslist.org/zip/4734995272.html
    Fantastic. I have looked at craigslist (almost every day), but these I must have missed. What is the biggest you would go on a CRT TV?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fantastic. I have looked at craigslist (almost every day), but these I must have missed. What is the biggest you would go on a CRT TV?
    Depends on how strong you are. I have a 27 inch and it is awkward as hell to move. Luckily I can move it by myself.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

As mentioned it depends on how strong you are, another thing to consider is how much space you have for the TV. A 19" is easy enough to move with one person, any larger and you would probably need two people.

In our living room we have a 13" Toshiba TV set up. The bigger TVs are just being stored at the moment. I couldn't turn them down as they were Sony Trinitrons and they'd otherwise be trashed if I didn't agree to get them(kindly for free), we don't exactly have a large enough place to really set them up properly.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    As mentioned it depends on how strong you are, another thing to consider is how much space you have for the TV. A 19" is easy enough to move with one person, any larger and you would probably need two people.

In our living room we have a 13" Toshiba TV set up. The bigger TVs are just being stored at the moment. I couldn't turn them down as they were Sony Trinitrons and they'd otherwise be trashed if I didn't agree to get them(kindly for free), we don't exactly have a large enough place to really set them up properly.

I have a decent amount of space and I can get people to help carry; I was just curious as to if the bigger tvs make games look stretched out or not.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

You cannot carry a 32" Sony yourself. I would definitely try to get one if they are FREE! Or like $25. PVM's are more money and too small for my tastes.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I have a decent amount of space and I can get people to help carry; I was just curious as to if the bigger tvs make games look stretched out or not.
    It depends on the quality of the TV, usually there won't be any distortion with quality sets. I actually notice a slight distortion with newer flat tube CRTs, not much but very slight. Family members have a flat tube CRT by Toshiba, it's pretty good with component inputs but I do notice it near the top and bottom of the screen. They owned it since new as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The biggest CRT I would go is 27" for the sake of being able to move it myself.

Insert Coin (Level 0) synbiosfan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    synbiosfan

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    Oh so this.

I'd check out the thrift shops near nicer areas. They usually have the sets plugged in so you can check them out.

I recently paid $7 for a mint 2006 20" JVC CRT with component, s-video, etc, that's perfect for my basement gaming hovel. They had some nice bigger CRTs but I didn't feel like carrying them down the stairs
    Diabetes Sucks!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by synbiosfan View Post
    Oh so this.

I'd check out the thrift shops near nicer areas. They usually have the sets plugged in so you can check them out.

I recently paid $7 for a mint 2006 20" JVC CRT with component, s-video, etc, that's perfect for my basement gaming hovel. They had some nice bigger CRTs but I didn't feel like carrying them down the stairs
    $7 is a great find. My local Goodwill is completely devoid of TVs

The only thing that scares me about a 32 incher is distortion due to size. However, since it's free, what do I have to lose?

Thanks for all the great responses; love hearing great advice rather than just a tirade of "this has been covered before"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I highly recommend a 20 inch Sony PVM or BVM, manufactured post 2002, with low hours on it.

Obviously, you have to be patient, but eventually you can score one in pristine condition, and you'll be the happiest retrogamer on your block once you get your rgb cables in, and see the warm glow coming from the screen...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    Really? I wouldn't let the weight be an issue as long as space and a stand can support it. The TV only has to be moved once, must be a friend that can help. Oh and HD Tubes weigh more then SD CRTs of the same size.
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CRTGAMER View Post
    Really? I wouldn't let the weight be an issue as long as space and a stand can support it. The TV only has to be moved once, must be a friend that can help. Oh and HD Tubes weigh more then SD CRTs of the same size.
    HD Tubes are ridiculously heavy.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dashopepper's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CRTGAMER View Post
    Really? I wouldn't let the weight be an issue as long as space and a stand can support it. The TV only has to be moved once, must be a friend that can help.
    As someone who has moved a 36" trinitron multiple times, unless you're hitting the gym regularly be weary. Remember all the weights on one end so you're carrying it with 1 hand pretty much. I think there like 230 lbs or something. Beware of doorways and stairs. 27" is the largest I feel comfortable moving by myself, glass towards chest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

By the way, are tv stands for large CRTs even available anymore? That's something else to consider when choosing a size, I don't think you'll find something to hold those heavy monsters above 27" these days.