Thread: Creative disposal of bad games?

Strawberry (Level 2) Manhattan Sports Club's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unhappy Creative disposal of bad games?

Does anyone have any idea what kind of creative things can be done to make use of bad games, the kind of shitty ones that are taking up shelf space and nobody in their right mind would pay very much for? There are only so many willing to commit to a complete set that I don't understand why anybody should even bother keeping such things around for the most part. What is to become of them and can we organize any community effort to share and trade useless games/accessories into something productive? Any suggestions?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Landfill in New Mexico? Nah, that's been done.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

You never know when you are going to want to watch your guy (girl) fall on her ass in Winter Games figure skating on NES...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I had a shitty NES game I loved the art to due to the movie -- so I turned it into a clock.
    Attachment 7729

Got the motor a few years back at Michaels for I think $5 or so. All you need to do is pop the back off, then in the middle screw hole peg, remove it, then drill through where it was to the other side, widen to fit the clock motor peg, slot it in, attach the hands, add a battery and you're done. The only added extra work maybe filing a little bit off the circuit board if it keeps the motor from being set flush inside the plastic shell. If the game is small enough, you could just have an actual NES clock game that'll keep time and play mario or whatever at the same time in a top loader.

Also if you wanted to make a fabric hinge or something of the sort, you could leave the back plate on, and use it as a desk clock instead of a wall clock too. This should also work on a SNES and N64 game, not sure what else as it would be size dependent and clearly a disc based game (GC due to size likely not) would work as well for a wall clock and it has the hole in the center already but would need a little added hot glue or something since it's too big.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would just trade them for credit somewhere. Even if it is only a few dollars it is better than wasting more time on shitty games by trying to be creative with them.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'd normally agree, but considering how bad some of them are and with cool looking sticker art, they'd get far more use as a functional clock than a pile of crap dusting over and maybe hosting spiders or little roaches in some grubby shop or rotting on some lose cart collectors shelf never to be seen again other than the spine label. The clock (no pun intended) gets hours of use, any day, every day. I have mine on the wall over my work desk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I cracked open an E.T. cartridge, hollowed it out with a Dremel sander, wedged the smallest USB hub I could find into it, and stuck three USB memory sticks into it. Now I carry all my excess junk in it that won't fit into my laptop's SSD. I even renamed each USB drive (one's Pac-Man, one's Adventure, and one's Yar's Revenge) and gave each the appropriate desktop icon. I have since done it again with an Asteroids cartridge, and even more recently with an Atari 5200 Pac-Man cart (I could fit a 4 port hub inside that one).

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

I had briefly considered casting a small base out of cement and sticking an et cat in it and
    Selling it as a novelty, connector side down of course

Insert Coin (Level 0) Scotterpop's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

This is an idea I've had for a while now: Take a bunch of crappy or uber-common games and fashion them into an impressively sized chair and then call it... A Throne of Games!
    Death to Videodrome! Long live the new flesh!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

There's a fun nutball over on NA that has been snapping up hundreds of those awful Jurassic Park SNES carts, filled a refrigerator with them no less. He I bet could make that chair for you.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I've seen this before, but that picture is horrible. No depth at all in it, so it just looks like a bunch of games with pipes coming out of them.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I remember seeing another photo of a guy that made a Halloween costume out of SNES and N64 games. Don't worry, I'm pretty sure he only used games like Super Metroid, ActRaider, Secret of Mana, Mario 64, Majora's Mask GRAY CART. :P